Is it easy to rip assets from console visual novels?

danpc

Hi i'm an indie game developer,but i'm not really familiar with low level programing or how some people make software that rips assets like videos and music from some games.

I wanted to know becuse i had this idea of how to make console games visual novels work on the pc(kinda),it would be to just recreate the vn using the assests from the console,we would only need the backgrounds,charecter art,audio files,and the text wich can be inputed in so that would be the easiaset part.

Well that's the exact same idea I had. Which is why I made an engine to do just that.

But for console games, it's a little difficult to rip the assets out of. If you have a game in mind, try using AnimED on it. It supports some PS2 archive formats. If you can get the text and other resources out, then the rest is just porting which is easy.

Well that's the exact same idea I had. Which is why I made an engine to do just that.

But for console games, it's a little difficult to rip the assets out of. If you have a game in mind, try using AnimED on it. It supports some PS2 archive formats. If you can get the text and other resources out, then the rest is just porting which is easy.

Oh so someone is already doing it,thats good then :)

No i don't have any game in mind i was just asking,becuse there are a few 360 and ps3 exclusive visual novels that i heard some people tried to port but couldn't,so i just tought of that idea and was offering to help.

It all depends on the constraints set by the underlying platform.

For instance, NDS cartridges are commonly 128MB or 256MB, so there are tradeoff to compress stuff and decoding / ripping those can be more or less complicated.

But for former next-gen it's a non-issue as they're released on large media (DVD-DL) that are generally amply sufficient for VN resources.

It all depends on the constraints set by the underlying platform.

For instance, NDS cartridges are commonly 128MB or 256MB, so there are tradeoff to compress stuff and decoding / ripping those can be more or less complicated.

But for former next-gen it's a non-issue as they're released on large media (DVD-DL) that are generally amply sufficient for VN resources.

So if someone is able to rip the assests,we would be able to port a console exclusive VN to the pc.

Well there would also be the translation but the porting would be paralel to that.

As you probably know, console code runs on different architectures (PowerPC, MIPS) and is not compatible with PC hardware. But even on similar hardware (xbox one, ps4 running on x86 cores) you cannot simply slap the code and decreet it is runnable on Windows or some other os.

You have two cases:

- Original vn engine on PC was directly ported to console with minor differences, with proper tweaks you can use those assets on PC; IIRC there was a seemingly backport of x360 Chaos;Head but the whole project was C&D

- You convert game resources (including scripts) to run on an open source engine such as Kirikiri or ONscripter

and as you said, you can extract text and have it translated independently, but it is generally complicated to keep staff motivated enough when they can't see the result of their work...

As you probably know, console code runs on different architectures (PowerPC, MIPS) and is not compatible with PC hardware. But even on similar hardware (xbox one, ps4 running on x86 cores) you cannot simply slap the code and decreet it is runnable on Windows or some other os.

You have two cases:

- Original vn engine on PC was directly ported to console with minor differences, with proper tweaks you can use those assets on PC; IIRC there was a seemingly backport of x360 Chaos;Head but the whole project was C&D

- You convert game resources (including scripts) to run on an open source engine such as Kirikiri or ONscripter

and as you said, you can extract text and have it translated independently, but it is generally complicated to keep staff motivated enough when they can't see the result of their work...

My idea was to re-create the game using the assets,so it would basicaly be porting it to a new engine.

But has far as i know these engines must have limitations.

So what i was proposing was to simply re-create the game using for example flash since im a flash developer,if it was doing it everything i would be hardcoded no editors and stuff(since i never made one)and don't see the point in having one,it would be good for the translator to change text when they want sure but you could just has easily change a line in the .as using an editor.

Anyway it was just and idea it dosen't work if we can't rip the assets from the game disk,intresting enough one of the games i was thinking about was x360 Chaos;Head Noah when i tought of this becuse i would like to play it someday,especialy the new Steins;Gate :/