Silent Hill: Play Novel

Resultado de imagem para Silent Hill pla y novel

Summary

Silent Hill: Play Novel is an adaptation of the original Silent Hill for Game Boy Advance in the form of visual novel. A visual novel is an interactive fiction game featuring mostly static graphics with text. At certain moments the game asks a player to make a choice between two or more possible variants which affect the following walkthrough. Such kind of games is very popular in Japan, however totally unpopular in the west, therefore Silent Hill: Play Novel was never released outside this country.

The game offered two scenarios: for Harry and Cybil (available after completing Harry's Scenario). Also there were four additional scenarios available for download, the main hero of which was the boy named Andy. However Konami ended the download service after a short time. Besides the narration the game features a couple of puzzles and multiple endings. After reaching the ending a player is awarded with Digital Trading Cards – 32 in total for all scenarios.

Main Info (Important!)

This guide is mainly based on a recent fan-made adaptation of the novel (though I will try to cover info on all versions that I know), this version has no puzzles and no cards to collect, and also does not feature the flowchart option. This is the only polished English version that you can find on the internet, since the genesis version is still a beta (you can also try to play from the SH memories website), and the original GBA rom doesn’t have a patch (as of yet). Other thing to note about the fan-made adaptation is that the Cybil campaign\route is pre-unlocked (on the original version you need to beat any of the endings to unlock her route.), don’t play her route first! Her campaign expects you to have played Harry’s route first, so some context will be lost if you play Cybil’s first. For a better understanding of the lore, I recommend that you go get all endings, since the endings gives you pieces of info that will help you understanding the events a little more easier (though a lot of things are still left open). There are two main routes (Three if you count the incomplete Andy route), one for Harry and one for Cybil, Harry’s route is longer than Cybil’s and will deal with the main meat of the story, while Cybil’s serves as an compliment.  The majority of choices in the game are either meaningless or are indirect “see more dialogue or not” type of choices (since some choices gives you more dialog while others skips lines of dialog), I will indicate the important choices with an [+]. The following section will cover info on the different versions of the game.

GBA Version

Here are some info on features exclusive to that version.

Flowchart

Spoiler

The actual game has three main parts: the normal areas, the question areas, and the flowchart. Then there are the blocks, which are what make up the normal and question areas, but not technically a "visible" part of the game.

To begin, the blocks are basically only a part of the game for saving and loading purposes. Each block has its own block name and event description, but you will not notice this unless you turn the GBA off and load often. The normal areas can be made up of any number of blocks, but the question areas always contain just one block.

The normal areas contain most of the text in the game. You probably won't always notice the normal areas change as they are often quite seamlessly strung together. Normal areas can have any number of blocks, pictures, and pages of text. When you reach the end of the text in a normal area, you will automatically move to the next area. Sometimes this move is fairly straightforward and sometimes it is based on a choice you have made earlier in the game. These areas are represented by white squares on the flowchart.
(Please note that these areas will appear somewhat gray rather than white on the flowchart when not selected or a part of your current path through the game.)

Unlike the normal areas, question areas only contain one block, one page of text and one picture. In a question area you must choose one of two or more choices in order to move the story along. As with all other selections in this game, the currently highlighted choice will be in red, and I suspect this may be why Konami chose to have these areas appear as red squares on the 
flowchart. (These areas will appear in a slightly darker red color when on the flowchart when not selected or a part of your current path through the game.)

The flowchart is quite a useful tool as it allows you to see and visit any of the areas that you have ever been to while playing. As mentioned above, normal areas appear as white or gray squares and question areas appear as red or dark red squares on the flowchart. When you open the flowchart, the squarerepresenting the area you are currently in will have a pulsating orange box around it. This box is the cursor, which you can move about with the d-pad.
You can only move the cursor as far right as there are squares. When you highlight a square on the flowchart, some Japanese will be displayed at the bottom of the screen. The top line is the chapter number and the block name of the first block (or only block) in the area you have highlighted, and the bottom line is the event description for the same block. Since areas are the only thing that appear on the flowchart, you cannot highlight individual blocks. You should also notice that orange lines will appear when you highlight a square. These lines connect the squares in order to show the most recent path you have taken to reach the highlighted square. Finally, you will see vertical blue lines at various intervals across the flowchart. These lines show where chapters begin and end. The orange path lines will cross the blue chapter lines, but there will never be a square on a chapter line.

There is one other interesting thing to note about areas and the flowchart: Each area has a picture associated with it on the flowchart. And more often than not this picture will not appear in any of the block(s) that make up the area.

Controls

Spoiler

The controls are very simple, as you spend most of the time reading text and selecting choices. When the small spinning Flauros is on screen, pressing A or R will cause the next bit of text to appear. If you are making a choice, press up or down to highlight the choice you want in red, and then confirm it with the A button. You can also tap the A or R buttons to make the text appear faster, but be careful not to push the A button too rapidly or you may skip through an area or select a choice that you do not want. The R button will not confirm choices, so it is a safer way to quickly skip through text. If you would like to see the picture behind the text, simply hold the B button when the spinning Flauros is on the screen to make all the all the text disappear. Releasing the B button will then cause the text to reappear.

As long as you have seen at least two pages of text in an area, pushing the L button when the Flauros is on screen will allow you to review only the text you have seen in the current chapter since you: entered the chapter, last loaded the game, or last selected an area from the flowchart. When you do this, the text will turn light blue, the current background picture will be  darkened, and the following will be displayed at the bottom of the screen:

L<Back   B Cancel   Next>R    (The < and > represent triangles.)

"B Cancel" will always be written in white text, but "L<Back" and "R>Next" are both written in black and will be highlighted in either dark blue or orange. The dark blue means that you cannot use that button right now, and the orange means that you can. So if "L<Back" is highlighted in dark blue, that means that you are on the first page of text that you can currently review. While reviewing text you cannot see the most current page of text, but you can press A or B at any time to exit this mode and return to the most current page of text.

With the exception of the introduction, pressing the Select button when the spinning Flauros is on the screen opens the flowchart. You can move the cursor to any area you have visited in the current or previous games. However, be aware that choosing an area you have not visited in the current game may alter other choices you have just made. Use the A button to select any area, or the B button to close the flowchart and return to the current area. If you would like to return to the beginning of the area you are currently in, just press A immediately after opening the flowchart.

Automatic Save Feature

Spoiler

All saving is automatic, so you never need to worry about remembering to save your game. The game will always save to the current block as soon as you enter it. Here is a list of times when this happens and the game saves:

1. When you select Harry (the His Fate card) after starting a new game from 
   an unused save slot.
2. If you last played with Harry, the game will save when you select Cybil and 
   vice-versa.
3. Any time you move into a different block by reading text or making a choice.
4. Any time you press A while an area is highlighted on the flowchart.

Finally, the game will also save if you watch the credits all the way to the end. In this case the game is saved to the introduction. 

Digital Trading Cards

Spoiler

As a reward for reaching the end of the game, you will receive various digital trading cards. There are 32 cards total, and only 28 can be found in the regular game. The only way to get the other four cards is by playing the four downloadable scenarios of "The Boy." The list below shows which endings yield each of the cards. You can view your card collection by highlighting
Digital Trading Card on the title screen and pressing either the Start or Abutton. Use the L and R buttons to move between the pages and A to view a slightly larger image of any card that you have. Also, should you wish to erase your cards then press Select while viewing your collection. You will then be asked in Japanese if you want to erase all the cards. Select はい for
yes and いいえ for no. You can also just press B to return to your card collection without erasing anything. After selecting yes once, the game will ask you if it is really all right to erase the cards. Select はい for yes and the cards will be erased. Selecting いいえ or pressing the B button will return you to your card collection without erasing anything.

The numbers used with each card represent the final area you must reach to get that card. The first number is for the chapter and the second is for the area. All of these areas are ending areas and this numbering scheme is the same as the one used in the flowcharts found in the Konami Official Guide Book. The translation guide will also stay true to this scheme.

First Page:
1. Incubus - The Boy/Winter Scenario
2. Cybil - Cybil Ending 8-11
3. Cheryl - Cybil Ending 8-9
4. Alessa - Harry Ending 18-2
5. Dahlia - Cybil Ending 8-15
6. Kaufmann - Harry Ending 13-7 
7. Lisa - Harry Ending 16-24
8. Mumbler - Harry Ending 16-24

Second Page:
9. Air Screamer - Harry Ending 18-1
10. Split Head - Harry Ending 18-1
11. Puppet Nurse - Harry Ending 18-2
12. Twin Feeler - Harry Ending 15-9
13. Float Stinger - Harry Ending 18-2
14. Groaner - Cybil Ending 8-15
15. Harry - Cybil Ending 7-23
16. Switchboard - Harry Ending 18-1

Third Page:
17. Chemicals - Harry Ending 16-25
18. Specimens - Harry Ending 18-1
19. Telephone - Cybil Ending 9-2
20. Key - Cybil Ending 8-5
21. Cafe - Harry Ending 16-25
22. Music Room - Cybil Ending 8-5
23. Hospital - Harry Ending 13-8 
24. Study - Harry Ending 15-8

Fourth Page:
25. Aqueduct - Cybil Ending 8-5
26. Elevator - Cybil Ending 8-5
27. Cemetery - Cybil Ending 7-23
28. His Fate - Harry Ending 13-8 
29. Her Fate - Cybil Ending 8-9
30. First Sight - The Boy/Spring Scenario
31. Escape - The Boy/Summer Scenario
32. Love - The Boy/Fall Scenario

(You can find a 100% save file with all cards on the internet)

Enforced Playing Order and other info

Spoiler

In order to play as Cybil you must first reach any one of Harry's endings.

If you wish to skip any movie, including the opening one, you can do so only by pressing START. Happily you can also skip the rather dull credits sequence by pressing START as well.

Basically, you will just be pressing the A button a lot in order to scroll through the text that appears in each "area" of the game. Sometimes you will automatically move to a new area by doing this, and sometimes you will have to make a choice to move on. In many cases you will not realize that you have moved to a new area just by playing, so check the flowchart often. Also, if 
you continue after completing the game, play for a bit, and then decide to move forward using the flowchart, don't forget that the area you select will have the choices made to reach it last associated with it, and not the choices you have just made in your current game. Sometimes these choices will be the same, sometimes they will not.

Some of the choices you make will not have an immediate effect. Instead they will cause you to move somewhere automatically at a later point. Figuring out which choices cause this "automatic branching" is the key to seeing all the endings in Harry's scenario. (Only seven choices are related to or will cause automatic branching, one of which does not actually affect the outcome of the game.)

In Cybil's scenario there is no automatic branching. The important choices in her scenario will immediately place you on one (or on the way to one) of three main paths. The first of these important choices is the final choice in Chapter 2. This is quite different from Harry's scenario, in which the first important choice does not occur until Chapter 7.

If you wish to easily reach ending A in Harry's scenario, which is like the GOOD+ ending in the original Silent Hill, then always make choice A when you come to a question area. The same is true for Cybil's scenario as well, although her ending A is not the same as the GOOD+ ending.

One thing to keep in mind is that each area always has the same text no matter how you reach it. 

Many of the choices will have no effect on the outcome of the game. They are just there to let you see different pieces of text.

Genesis Version

The only thing to note about this version is that it uses a password system and not a save system,it also lacks some of the features from other ports.

Fan-made Port

Important things to note:

Spoiler

1- There’s no enforced playing order, but, it’s advised to play Harry’s scenario first (getting at least end “A” or “B”)
2-The game doesn’t have triggers, so at one point or another the game will ask if you made certain choices previously (Like if you got a Knife or a Certain Liquid), I will NOT include these choices on the guide.
3- You can Save\Load at any moment (just click the icon on the bottom-right corner).
4- If you can’t select any options, close the game, then re-load.
5- You can’t skip the credits, but, DON’T load on the “THE END” screen since doing that will cause the choices to glitch, and you’ll have to reset the game.

Ending Guideline / Suggested Route-Ending Order

As I explained on the “Main Info” section, there are two main routes to this game, I strongly advise that you play Harry’s route first (and get all his endings for a better understanding) before Cybil. So it goes like this:

• Harry: E-1>E-2>D-1>D-2>C-1>C-2>A>B
  • Cybil: C-1 (Both Variations)>C-2>B-1 (Both Variations)>B-2>B-3>A

The “Extra Scenes” section will cover choices that weren’t selected during the guide. There’s a Puzzle section at the bottom of this guide. Unlike in the original PlayStation version of Silent Hill, you cannot be "killed" in Play Novel Silent Hill. Certain choices might lead you to an ending in which something unfortunate happens to Harry or Cybil, but you will never see a conventional "Game Over" screen. Many of the choices will have no effect on the outcome of the game. They are just there to let you see different pieces of text. In Harry's scenario you make choices as if you were him; however, in Cybil's scenario you often make choices about what is happening to her. So while you get to make Harry fight back or run away when he is attacked, you actually get to choose whether a monster will attack Cybil or not. Read the notes left inside the spoiler boxes. If possible create multiple saves for each choice. You can use this fan-made flowchart for orientation if you want (Harry\Cybil).

Harry's Route

harry_13-13.gif
E-1

Spoiler

NOTE: Only choices marked [+] are important for the route, the other choices are ones that gives more text, but, are not essential to the plot. Remeber that I will not mention puzzles! If you're interested on the puzzles, see the bottom section of this guide.
1)Cheryl's destination is...
2)I don't know who it is. I will take a look.
3)Thank you, but...I'm no good with guns.
4)It's somewhere inside the cafe...
5)Hide underneath a table.
6)Instantly pushed the monster away with my hands.
7)Call home, where no one should be.
8)A children's book. [+] (Causes different text on Choice 10, but doesn't affect the ending.)
9)I am no match for this enemy with the weapons I am carrying. Running is the best bet.
10)In the Library...
11)I'll stop its movement first. I fired at its legs.
12)Believe that woman's story.
13)Immediately counter attack with my gun.
14)Check to see if there is anything else.
15)Pick up the kitchen knife. [+] (Defines if you're gonna get End A or B, but doesn't affect any other ending.)
16)Ready my gun.
17)Run past the monster in front of me.
18)I will look on top of the cabinet.
19)Pick up the diary. 
20)Fire the gun.* [+] (Route Split happens here, chosing this will lead you to the E-1\E-2 path.)
21)Rush to Cybil's side.
22)Or maybe the culprit is someone else...yes, and they are still close...
23)"If you are going to kill me then do it..."* [+] (Choices determines the ending.)

NOTE 1: Save here so you can proceed to the other routes.
NOTE 2: Save here so you can proceed to E-2. (If you haven't already.)

harry_13-16.gif
E-2

Spoiler

Load a save file (Choice 23) or use the flowchart.
NOTE: Only choices marked [+] are important for the route, the other choices are ones that gives more text, but, are not essential to the plot. Remeber that I will not mention puzzles! If you're interested on the puzzles, see the bottom section of this guide.
8)A children's book. [+] (Causes different text on Choice 10, but doesn't affect the ending.)
9)I am no match for this enemy with the weapons I am carrying. Running is the best bet.
10)In the Library...
15)Pick up the kitchen knife. [+] (Defines if you're gonna get End A or B, but doesn't affect any other ending.)
16)Ready my gun.
19)Pick up the diary. 
20)Fire the gun.* [+] (Route Split happens here, chosing this will lead you to the E-1\E-2 path.)
21)Rush to Cybil's side.
22)Or maybe the culprit is someone else...yes, and they are still close...
23)"Give me that handgun...!"* [+] (Choices determines the ending.)

NOTE 2: Save here so you can proceed to E-1. (If you haven't already.)

harry_15-17.gif
D-1

Spoiler

Load a save file (Choice 20) or use the flowchart.
10)In the Library...
16)Ready my gun.
19)Pick up the diary. 
20)Slowly approach [+] (Route Split happens here, chosing this will lead you to the D-1\D-2\C-1\C-2\A\B path.)
21)I will go first.
22)Search the second floor.
23)Fire the rifle.
24)Move onto the steel plate.
25)Behind
26)Take Lisa with me.
27)Hide in the shadows of the buildings.
28)Head
29)Show him the picture of Alessa. 
30)I will go to the lighthouse.* [+] (Route splits happens here, chosing this will lead to the D-1\D-2\A\B Path.)
31)Rush to the vicinity where Alessa disappeared from. [+] (You need to select this to unlock the choice that leads to the D-1\D-2 path.)
32)On second thought I'd better turn back. [+] (Leads to D-1\D-2 path, other choice leads to A\B ends.)
33)"It might be urgent, but Cheryl will probably get it."* [+] (Defines the ending.)

NOTE 2: Save here so you can proceed to D-2. (If you haven't already.)

harry_15-18.gif
D-2

Spoiler

Load a save file (Choice 33) or use the flowchart.
10)In the Library...
16)Ready my gun.
19)Pick up the diary. 
20)Slowly approach [+] (Route Split happens here, chosing this will lead you to the D-1\D-2\C-1\C-2\A\B path.)
21)I will go first.
23)Fire the rifle.
25)Behind
26)Take Lisa with me.
28)Head
30)I will go to the lighthouse.* [+] (Route splits happens here, chosing this will lead to the D-1\D-2\A\B Path.)
31)Rush to the vicinity where Alessa disappeared from. [+] (You need to select this to unlock the choice that leads to the D-1\D-2 path.)
32)On second thought I'd better turn back. [+] (Leads to D-1\D-2 path, other choice leads to A\B ends.)
33)"It's probably the publishing company, they are so impatient."* [+] (Defines the ending.)

NOTE 2: Save here so you can proceed to D-1. (If you haven't already.)

harry_16-1.gif
C-1

Spoiler

Load a save file (Choice 30) or use the flowchart.
10)In the Library...
16)Ready my gun.
19)Pick up the diary. 
21)I will go first.
23)Fire the rifle.
25)Behind
26)Take Lisa with me.
28)Head
30)I will go to the amusement park.* [+] (Route splits happens here, chosing this will lead to the C-1\C-2 Path.)
31)Listen to more of her story.
32)"Kaufmann was alive... Maybe he switched the bodies."
33)Show her Alessa's diary.
34)Move toward the direction that the sound is coming from.
35)Open the door in front of me.* [+] (Ending Split.)

NOTE 2: Save here so you can proceed to C-2. (If you haven't already.)

harry_16-5.gif
C-2

Spoiler

Load a save file (Choice 35) or use the flowchart.
10)In the Library...
16)Ready my gun.
19)Pick up the diary. 
21)I will go first.
23)Fire the rifle.
25)Behind
26)Take Lisa with me.
28)Head
30)I will go to the amusement park.* [+] (Route splits happens here, chosing this will lead to the C-1\C-2 Path.)
31)Listen to more of her story.
32)"Kaufmann was alive... Maybe he switched the bodies."
33)Show her Alessa's diary.
34)Move toward the direction that the sound is coming from.
35)Let my body go with the flow.* [+] (Ending Split.)

NOTE 2: Save here so you can proceed to C-1. (If you haven't already.)

Resultado de imagem para Silent Hill endings
B

Spoiler

Load a save file (Choice 15, if you didn't chose the Knife option OR Choice 30, if you chose the Knife Option) or use the flowchart.
10)In the Library...
16)Ready my gun.
19)Pick up the diary. 
21)I will go first.
23)Fire the rifle.
25)Behind
26)Take Lisa with me.
28)Head
30)I will go to the lighthouse. [+] (Route splits happens here, chosing this will lead to the D-1\D-2\A\B Path.)
31)Rush to the vicinity where Alessa disappeared from.
32)Bravely jump in. [+] (Leads to A\B ends.)
33)Don't worry. I will do what I can. (Depending wheter you saved Cybil or not will lead to A or B after this choice.)

good+.jpg
A

Spoiler

Load a save file (Choice 15, if you didn't chose the Red Potion option OR Choice 30, if you chose the Red Potion Option) or use the flowchart.
10)In the Library...
15)Pick up the pet bottle. [+] (Defines if you're gonna get End A or B, but doesn't affect any other ending.)
16)Scoop up the red liquid. [+] (Defines if you're gonna get End A or B, but doesn't affect any other ending.)
17)Leave this area.
18)Run past the monster behind me.
19)I will look at the floor under the cabinet.
20)Pick up the picture. 
21)Slowly approach [+] (Route Split happens here, chosing this will lead you to the D-1\D-2\C-1\C-2\A\B path.)
22)I will let Cybil go first.
23)Search the first floor.
24)Run.
25)Move onto the steel plate.
26)Front OR Side
27)Leave Lisa here.
28)Fire the rifle while avoiding it.
29)Wings
30)Ask him about Alessa.
31)I will go to the lighthouse. [+] (Route splits happens here, chosing this will lead to the D-1\D-2\A\B Path.)
32)I've got a bad feeling. I'll head back to the boat. [+] (Route splits happens here, chosing this will lead to the A\B Path.)
33)Sorry...I cannot stay with you. (Depending wheter you saved Cybil or not will lead to A or B after this choice.)

Extra Scenes

Spoiler

NOTE: If you're using the GBA port, you can always use the flowchart to go back to choices that you didn't make.
1)Is there no one in the town...
2)I am going to get out of here...
3)Thanks...I hope I don't have to use it...
4)It's somewhere outside the cafe... (Skips Choice 5 & 6)
5)Ready the handgun in my inexperienced hands.\Run outside of the cafe.
5.5)Its vulnerable spot is...its body.\Aiming at the wing will bring it down. (Only appears if you chose "Ready the handgun in my inexperienced hands.")
6)Readied the handgun and fired.
7)Call the police to get help.
8)A pharmaceutical book.\A dictionary of religious science. [+] (Causes different text on Choice 10, but doesn't affect the ending.)
9)I fired the gun at its large body.
10)In the Library... [Different Dialog Depending on Choice 8)]\In the Teacher's Room... (Skips Choice 11)
11)Fire into its mouth.
12)Her story was unclear and I don't understand it. I cannot just carelessly believe her.
13)Hid behind the door in a panic.
14)Go after Kaufmann.
15)Pick up the pet bottle. [+] (Defines if you're gonna get End A or B, but doesn't affect any other ending.)
16)Scoop up the blue liquid.\Scoop up the mixture of purple liquid. [+] (Defines if you're gonna get End A or B, but doesn't affect any other ending.)
17)Your Choice.
18)Your Choice.
19)I will look inside of the cabinet.
20)Your Choice.
21)Slowly approach [+] (Route Split happens here, chosing this will lead you to the D-1\D-2\C-1\C-2\A\B path.)
--- E-1\E-2 Route ---

Spoiler

22)Step back and run away.
23)Pursue the girl I just saw.
24)Ending Choice. [+]

22)Your Choice.
23)Your Choice.
24)Your Choice.
25)Stay where I am...
26)Behind\Front
27)Your Choice.
28)Your Choice.
29)Abdomen
30)Your Choice.
31)I will go to the lighthouse. [+] (Route splits happens here, chosing this will lead to the D-1\D-2\A\B Path.)
--- C-1\C-2 Route ---

Spoiler

32)Change the subject.
33)"Perhaps I mistook the man I met for him."
34)"Who are "they"!?"
35)Immediately get away.
36)Ending Choice. [+]

32)I've got a bad feeling. I'll head back to the boat. [+] (Route splits happens here, chosing this will lead to the A\B Path.)
33)Your Choice. (Depending wheter you saved Cybil or not will lead to A or B after this choice.)

Cybil's Route

cybil_08-3.gif
C-1 (Variation 1)

Spoiler

1)She waits for the man to wake up.
2)Attacked Cybil
3)Calms herself down.* [+] (Plot branches here, this choice leads to the C-1\C-2\A path.)
4)The phone is off the hook... [+] (Leads to puzzle, doesn't affect the ending.)
5)She heard a melody being played on a piano.
6)Shakes her head "yes".
7)Cautiously moved towards the monster.
8)She kindly admonishes Cheryl.
9)Goodbye...* [+] (Plot branches out here, chosing this will lead to the C-1\C-2 route.)
10)Began to look for a safe building to rest in.
11)I can still make it in time...I've got to hurry.* [+] (Ending Choice.)

NOTE 2: Save here so you can have a shortcut for the "A" Ending.
NOTE 3: Save here so you can proceed to the other endings.

Imagem relacionada
C-1 (Variation 2)

Spoiler

Load a save file (Choice 11) or use the flowchart.
2)Attacked Cybil
3)Calms herself down.* [+] (Plot branches here, this choice leads to the C-1\C-2\A path.)
4)The phone is off the hook... [+] (Leads to puzzle, doesn't affect the ending.)
6)Shakes her head "yes".
9)Goodbye...* [+] (Plot branches out here, chosing this will lead to the C-1\C-2 route.)
11)Things will happen as they will...* [+] (Ending Choice.)

cybil_08-8.gif
C-2

Spoiler

Load a save file (Choice 11) or use the flowchart.
2)Attacked Cybil
6)Shakes her head "yes".
11)Wait, should I go in there...* [+] (Ending Choice.)

cybil_09-3.gif
B-1 (Variation 1)

Spoiler

Load a save file (Choice 3) or use the flowchart.
2)Attacked Cybil
3)Is overcome with hopelessness. [+] (Plot branches here, this choice leads to the C-1\C-2\A path.)
4)Lowers the gun.
5)Begins coughing violently.
6)If I use the hospital intercom...
7)Talks about the girl...* [+] (Endings Branches out from here)
8)There is a staircase leading to the basement.* [+] (Choices that lead to B-1 and B-2)

NOTE 1: Save here so you can proceed to the other endings.
NOTE 2: Save here so you can have a shortcut for the B-2 end.

cybil_07-25.gif
B-1 (Variation 2)

Spoiler

Load a save file (Choice 7) or use the flowchart.
2)Attacked Cybil
3)Is overcome with hopelessness. [+] (Plot branches here, this choice leads to the C-1\C-2\A path.)
4)Lowers the gun.
7)Opens his eyes wide.* [+] (Endings Branches out from here)
8)She flees with all her might.* [+] (Choices that lead to B-1 and B-3)

NOTE 1: Save here so you can proceed to the other endings.
NOTE 2: Save here so you can have a shortcut for the B-3 end.

cybil_08-12.gif
B-2

Spoiler

Load a save file (Choice 8 OR 7) or use the flowchart.
2)Attacked Cybil
4)Lowers the gun.
7)Stops moving.* [+] (Endings Branches out from here)
8)There is a blinding light. Cybil covers her eyes in reaction to it. [+] (Choices that lead to B-1 and B-2)

NOTE: Save here so you can proceed to the other endings.

cybil_07-28.gif
B-3

Spoiler

Load a save file (Choice 8) or use the flowchart.
2)Attacked Cybil
4)Lowers the gun.
7)Opens his eyes wide.* [+] (Endings Branches out from here)
8)She must fight. [+] (Choices that lead to B-1 and B-3)

NOTE: Save here so you can proceed to the other endings.

cybil_08-4.gif
A

Spoiler

Load a save file (Choice 9) or use the flowchart.
2)Attacked Cybil
3)Calms herself down. [+] (Plot branches here, this choice leads to the C-1\C-2\A path.)
6)Shakes her head "yes".
9)Let's go... [+] (Plot branches out here, chosing this will lead to the A route.)
10)A girl is drowning.*
11)It was a slightly dirty, but familiar doll. [+] (Doesn't change the ending, BUT, leads to an important scene that talks about Cybil's backstory.)
12)Unmistakably Harry.

NOTE: Save here for an different scene.

--- Alternate Andy Scene (+Some Extra Scenes) ---

Spoiler

Load a save file (Choice 10) or use the flowchart.
2)Attacked Cybil
3)Calms herself down. [+] (Plot branches here, this choice leads to the C-1\C-2\A path.)
6)Shakes her head "yes".
9)Let's go... [+] (Plot branches out here, chosing this will lead to the A route.)
10)A boy is drowning.
11)It was a green jelly-like object.
12)An unfamiliar man.

--- Alternate Cheryl Scenes (+Some Extra Scenes) ---

Spoiler

1#
1)She wakes the man up.
2)Just ran away.
4)Someone is here...
5)She heard the scream of a little girl.
6)Something at her feet...

2#
1)She wakes the man up.
2)Just ran away.
4)Someone is here...
5)She heard the scream of a little girl.
6)The figure of a person.
7)Shakes her head "no".

Extra Scenes

Spoiler

NOTE: If you're using the GBA port, you can always use the flowchart to go back to choices that you didn't make.
1)Your Choice.
2)Your Choice.
--- B-1\B-2\B-3 Route ---

Spoiler

4)Fires at Cybil.
5)Begins to talk again.
6)If I use the key...
7)Ending Choice. [+]

4)Your Choice.
5)Your Choice.
6)Your Choice.
7)Began to search the area.
8)She snaps at and scolds Cheryl.
--- C-1\C-2 Route ---

Spoiler

10)Held the girl's body close so that she would not freeze.
11)Ending Choice. [+]

10)The Rest of the choices were already covered in the previous spoiler boxes...

Andy's Route (Unfinished)
boy.jpg

Andy (Also called "The Boy" is a seven year old boy who lives in the house next to Harry and Cheryl Mason. He is also the protagonist of four scenarios that could be downloaded into the Play Novel Silent Hill cartridge via cellular phone. The four scenarios were named for each of the seasons, and thus there were spring, summer, fall, and winter scenarios.

Unfortunately it is true that the download service has ended, so it may be impossible to ever really play these scenarios; however, a few "lost memories" do remain. You can see a picture of Andy on the back of the box of this game. It is the one in the lower right corner. You can also see Andy in Cybil's scenario. Just choose A as the last choice you make in chapter 2. This sends you to the "lower" branch on the flowchart. Then once you reach chapter 7 choose A for the first choice you make. Then read text until you reach the next choice. This time choose B and you will get to see Andy.

(More info here)

Puzzle Guide

This puzzle guide is simply here to provide the solutions to the few puzzles contained in Silent Hill: Play Novel for the Gameboy Advance.

Harry's Scenario

Spoiler

--- SWITCHBOARD PUZZLE ---

Spoiler

This is a simple "complete the circuit" type puzzle. All you need to do is click the XXX'd squares with your pointer arrow to complete the switchboard circuit and move forward in the game.

+---+     +---+     +---+     +---+     +---+     +---+
  |   |<<<<<|XXX|<<<  |   |-----|   |-----|   |     |   |
  |   |     +---+  ^  +---+     +---+     +---+     |   |
  |   |            ^    |         |         |       |   |
  |   |            ^    |         |         |       |   |
  |   |     +---+  ^  +---+     +---+     +---+     |   |
  |   |     |   |--^<<|XXX|  v<<|XXX|<<<  |   |-----|   |
  |   |     +---+     +---+  v  +---+  ^  +---+     |   |
  |   |       |         ^    v         ^            |   |
  |   |       |         ^    v         ^            |   |
  |   |     +---+     +---+  v  +---+  ^  +---+     |   |
  |   |-----|   |     |XXX|<<<--|   |  ^<<|XXX|<<<<<|   |
  |   |     +---+     +---+     +---+     +---+     |   |
  |   |       |         |         |         |       |   |
  |   |       |         |         |         |       |   |
  | < |     |   |-----|   |-----|   |-----|   |     | < |

--- LIQUID JARS PUZZLE ---

Spoiler

This puzzle is another simple puzzle. You have three jars with variant amounts of liquid that you need to match with the beaker on the right of the screen.

Solution:

A. +--+
     |  |
     |  |  B. +-+
     |  |     | |  C. +-+
     |  |     | |     | |
     |  |     | |     | |
     +--+     +-+     +-+
      10       7       5

You need to end up with the liquids in a 1/10, 7/7, and 2/5 sequences. Here's how to do it:

1. Move liquid from A to C. (5,0,5)
  2. Move liquid from C to B. (5,5,0)
  3. Move liquid from A to B. (3,7,0)
  4. Move liquid from B to C. (3,2,5)
  5. Move liquid from C to A. (8,2,0)
  6. Move liquid from B to C. (8,0,2)
  7. Move liquid from A to B. (1,7,2)

--- SPECIMEN COLLECTION ---

Spoiler

All you have to do is move the magnifying glass over the specimens and press A to finish the puzzle. It's under the bottom, middle butterfly.

Cybil's Scenario

Spoiler

--- PHONE NUMBER ---

Spoiler

All you have to do is push the D-Pad to the right when you're at the telephone screen.
Phone Number : 38*2647*

--- BLOCK PUZZLE ---

Spoiler

Directions:
  Use the D-pad to move the pieces and the R-Trigger to select the pieces you want to move. You want the correct pieces over their corresponding indentions.

Starting position:

+---+---+---+---+---+---+
  |   |AAA|   |   |   |   |
  |   |   |BBB|bbb|   |   |
  |   |   |ddd|ccc|DDD|   |
  |   |   |CCC|   |   |   |

You need to match up the AAA, BBB, CCC, and DDD boxes on the aaa, bbb, ccc, and ddd squares. Once AAA and BBB are in place, placing the CCC and DDD pieces will move AAA and BBB. All you have to do is use the right trigger to re-select them and move them.

|   |   |   |   |   |   |
  |   |   |AAA|BBB|   |   |
  |   |   |DDD|CCC|   |   |
  |   |   |   |   |   |   |

Full solution:
  - Move BBB right.
  - Move AAA right.
  - Move AAA down.
  - Move CCC up.
  - Move BBB left.
  - Move DDD down.
  - Move DDD left (x2)
  - Move AAA up.
  - Move CCC right.
  - Move DDD up.

Attribution

This walkthrough is based on info attained on Silent Hill Memories, Gamefaqs.com, this puzzle guide and my own playthrough of the game.

Edited by Guest