Starting a Fansub Group for Retro Anime

Getsuya

Is it alright to do something like this here? I figure a lot of people are already involved in VN TL groups so I might not get any interest, but honestly I didn't know any other community to even ask about this at.

Basically, at my current job as an interpreter I need to be able to hear Japanese and spit it back out in English at natural speed. To get better at this I thought it would be both fun and educational to fansub anime, where I would need to listen to the dialogue and produce an accurate English version of it. At the same time, there are a lot of old classic anime that have been falling through the cracks for a very long time. Sometimes they get picked up, people do a few episodes and then drop them. Some of them just straight up have never been subbed.

The first series I want to work on (I have the raws and will provide them to anyone who joins up) is Wonder Beat Scramble, created by Osamu Tezuka. I'd like to do other Tezuka stuff but let's get this done first and then see where we want to go from there. I also at the very least want to do the Studio Pierrot magical girl shows that haven't been done yet (Creamy Mami is done. Emi, Yumi and Persia have only ever had partial subs). I can get raws for those. Not sure about any other Tezuka stuff, I'll have to look around.

I don't need you to have experience, I don't have any fansubbing experience so we can learn and grow together as a group. These series aren't exactly in high demand so we can take our time and work through them at our own pace. Perhaps as people notice our work we'll attract other workers who know more about how the process works and our quality can increase. Who knows? At any rate, I'm going to start translating Wonder Beat Scramble and once people sign up to help I'll start distributing the episodes and scripts around.

What I need (don't all have to be different people):

Subtitle File Creator: Someone who can turn my script into a subtitle file

Editor: Someone who can look at my English and make sure it all makes sense

Encoder: Someone who encodes the final file with the subtitles and makes sure the video is in the best quality it can be in (note that we'll be dealing with very old shows, so no one is expecting spectacular quality here)

Quality Checker: Someone who watches the final product in it's entirity to make sure nothing is amiss

Distributer: Someone who can either set up an IRC channel to distribute our stuff or run our torrents for us. Or both. Hopefully the person who does this will have a good idea of how to get anime fansubs out to the community effectively.

I don't know what I'd like the group to be called... a few ideas I had were things like Retrovers, Retlovers, Retroverse, Unforgotten, Sands of Time, Precious Memories, I dunno guys we'll figure that out at some point.

Anyway let me know.

I apologize if Fuwa isn't the place to get this kind of thing started.

If a timer/subtitle person isn't readily available I can make them myself, at least for a start. Hopefully if we get an ep or two out we can attract more people who want to work in the group and someone else will take over, but I found a pretty nice guide for getting the subtitles made so I'm confident I can make at least workable ones myself.

• 2 months later...

Okay... So I'm sort of new to fansubbing but I would be interested in joining as a timer... I could probably also help as an editor because I'm not too shabby at english. I have aegisub so and I know how to use it so I can help with that too. Also I think I can just um manually input subtitles.... and yeah... I might know someone who can irc and torrent stuff..