How much interest is there in seeing some parts of Fuwanovel go open source?

Nayleen

Short disclaimer: We obviously wouldn't open-source most parts, including: Blog, forums, moon, reviews.

The same applies for anything else using 3rd party code, like the new tools that are in the pipeline. 

The current main page code only has one interesting piece, technological wise: Reading, decoding and parsing information (calculating download size, creating magnet links, ...) stored in torrent files. Given the current stance of the site I might release this under my own name, instead of Fuwanovel's, if at all.

The only thing even worth open sourcing is new code, developed for the (currently) beta site. The VNDB client is the obvious choice because there's no good one available right now (the only one available doesn't hold up to my coding standards). That'll be it for now, anything else I'll release when it becomes clear that something developed for the site might be of use to other people/the VN community.

Yay, updates.

I've spent quite a bit of time yesterday working on the VNDB client and got about 90% of the functionality down.

Still missing:

• Set commands (to add, remove and vote on VNs)
  • Some advanced fields, since I decided to default to only a basic number of flags; things like:
    • Character measurements (three sizes, height, weight, etc) and traits
    • Producer relationships
    • Release VNs (you can get releases from the VN side, though) and producers
    • VN anime information, relations (this will definitely get added), and tags

And even though the client is intimidatingly big, sitting at 42 classes and just shy of 5000 lines of code (40% of which are documentation/comments), it's super easy to use. Quick and dirty console usage shows me fetching Ever17's information and displaying some of it:

m8yXPVW.png

And it's up - still missing some basic usage information in the readme, but since this is easily updatable I'll let the few people who know their way around PHP code have a stab at it already.

https://github.com/Fuwanovel/VNDB-Client

The recommended entry point is the ClientFacade class, which abstracts away most of the complexities of the client, see my previous post for an example.

Thanks, and looking forward to it. I might actually get the tests out of then way before implementing anymore functionality to get the existing pieces to some form of stability (being confident in your skills is not enough, even when my product manager at work keeps saying "testing is for scaredy cats"sarcastically :P)