My japanese VN reading list so far

zoom909

Someone asked me about this so here goes:  it's a list of the VN's I was able to read OK in Japanese and some notes

I've only been reading Japanese for a few years, so the logic goes that if I can read it, it's not really a "hard" VN and I know there must be some 1st-time Japanese readers who also like good ol' moe games (right??)

NOTE:  I read EVERYTHING in Japanese, I don't care if it's been translated or not.  That's the way I want it.

If there is anything that stands out about the game, I put a "*", otherwise it seemed pretty ordinary.

D.C.P.C.

* this one has some more complex writing, lots of similes and metaphors, please read carefully

Dream Club/Dream Club Zero

* these are good for Kanji practice (since you can't use ITH) and grammar-wise it's easier than a real VN

Flyable Heart

Hoshizoro no Memoria

* Seemed particularly easy at the beginning, but I haven't really played it yet.  I know the fan disc gets kind of hard from the time when I helped with it.

KanojoxKanojoxKanojo

* This writer enjoys kanji very much.  Even words that other writers use kana for, he uses kanji.

Kanon

Lamune

* The childhood part seemed particularly easy

Memories Off

Mirai no Kimi to Subete no Uta ni

*These Miku ones are not necessarily super easy but the short length may make you feel better about your progress.

Mirai no Uta to Tsunagaru Hitomi

Nursery Rhyme

*The cat Azrael speaks in a way that I think you may find difficult (I did).

Rin ga Utau, Mirai no Neiro

Shuffle

This writer uses longer sentences than most.  Expect the window to be filled more often with text.

To Heart

To Love Ru Doki Doki Rinkaigakkou-hen

*Another good one for practicing kanji.  But I don't think it is a very good game, even for ToLoveRu fans :-/

Yoake Mae Yori Ruriiro Na (expanded version)

Feena's and Estel's route are somewhat more complex than the others.

NOTE:  If it is your 1st (or 2nd) VN, don't worry about speed, only worry about your accurate understanding.  You will gain speed automatically (I did).

And assuming you want to learn as you read, if I were you I'd hide JParser so that it isn't visible all the time, or just turn off the furigana so that you have to mouse over unknown words.  And avoid Roumaji.  (Though I am a big proponent of Roumaji in the early phase of basic grammar and vocab, by the time you start reading VNs you ought to have left it far behind).

Edited by zoom909