What do you do to motive yourself to continue reading

M1rv3

On 06/09/2018 at 11:06 PM, snowbell55 said:

I'd say "a bit mean" is a fair assessment, but then again I do like the character in question, and said character (Sumiyoshi Chisato) is polarizing (partly because of her behavior, and partly because you're forced to read her route first, as it is important for later routes). If you want to try Koichoco and it looks like something you'd be interested then give it a shot - it's got quite a few positives to stand in contrast to the negatives. 

To stick to the topic at hand, I try and give a VN a few hours and if I'm really not feeling it I move on. I've realized that some VNs do take time to get going, so it's not fair to judge them super early, but after that period (2-3 hours) if I'm not interested then I move on to another VN. The hard part is usually at the beginning though, but the same rule applies if it does start to get dull: stop and read something else. I just don't think it's worthwhile to try and force myself to enjoy something when there are other stories out there that likely don't need as much "forcing" for me to enjoy.  

I find that "2-3 hour" period quite nice, it kind of reminds me what I do with movies - if I don't like something 20-30 mins in, I just turn it off. Yes some VNs do take time to get going but if you don't like the atmosphere/feel of what you're reading then there's no point in continuing past a certain point. And there are times where the story is so good you don't want to stop reading but then a plot twist appears and everything turns different, in a bad way. I've had that happen lol.

I might try Koichoco. People have suggested it to me before.

On 07/09/2018 at 7:19 AM, littleshogun said:

I can't agree more with your statement in regard of don't trust the hype there, so well said here. Yeah I also believed that it's still up to each other to find out whether the VN in question was really deserve the hype or not, and the answer could be different for each people.

As for mean characters, just consider this as a politic lesson (ie politic is always mean) if we talk about Koichoco lol. That said, I believe that Chisato herself is at her worst in Isara's route from what I'd heard, otherwise she's quite tolerable in other routes. Also while this just my speculation, I believe that sprite might took some bad feedback in regard of Chisato, and from there they made her expy in Aokana (Asuka) is better than the former. For whether you'll gonna like it or not, I'll leave that to you. Also for Fureraba here, I would highly suggest you to try this and see whether you can accept the translation or not.

Thanks. Yeah, opinion is very subjective, one man's trash is another man's treasure, so going with the hivemind can prove to be a bad thing, especially if you're not into the genre like OP said.

Thank you for the tip on Koichoco.

BTW OP, as someone whose first language isn't English either, I recommend you to keep reading, eventually you'll think in the language more and reading will become more comfortable, second nature. At least, that worked for me. I actually find reading in Portuguese (native) more exhausting because I use English all the time and literature in Portuguese can be very complex with a ton of words I don't understand. I find English easier somehow?

It helps that in VNs the language is usually simpler and casual, you don't have to wrack your brain. And look for translations to German, that could help.

Choosing shorter stories is better, too. You don't get burned out so easily. I haven't bought Grisaia yet because of this. They're all so long and it would take time.

Edited by Karin