Has a VN ever made you depressed?

Rabbit

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much every vn had some aftertaste for me,but i remember when i first played katawa shoujo it was lilly rout,i felt with ilness and dont know anything about vns at all,so its like absolutely new experience for me)Man ,i cried a lot.

Also mla get me too,i have it in my mind for week or two.Kotomi rout from clannad so sad*snif*

I can't say that I have ever gotten depressed from a VN. I have gotten very sad, especially during certain endings, but the feeling never lingered for too long.

Little Busters! Refrain made me cry so much that I needed to stop playing for a bit and calm down. Michiru's route in Grisaia hit a few uncomfortable places for me even though I can't say that route was my favorite. (Love Michiru but the end of her route was BS is my opinion.) Also, the Angelic Howl part of Amane's route was very disturbing. I didn't cry but I felt very hollow inside after reading it. I thought about it for a while and still do sometimes. 

I could go on for a while about different VNs that me upset because a lot of them branch into bad ending/good ending sort of thing and I usually get the bad ending first so that I can read the good end and "fix it". I don't know why someone would go get the good end before the bad end because that sort of ruins the good end? I don't know, maybe I just think that way. Of course it is worse if there is no good end to be found.

The only VN related depression I've had is related to spending over a hundred hours in less than a week working on the localization of the Kikokugai remake. Shaved off years of my life. Slept for 3 hours total that week.

VNs like Ayakashibito and Muv-Luv Alternative had me sad throughout, but none of them persisted after the credits rolled. Had VNs like Saya no Uta, Kikokugai, Kara no Shoujo and so forth on my mind for weeks after finishing them, but nothing close to depression.

aside from some nukige titles (which i´d like not to mention), that hasnt really happened to me yet, but perhaps this is simply physically induced (got my limbic system heavily damaged). though i do get some creepy feeling whilst watching/reading characters beeing overly loveydovey to an extend that it looks faked. sounds even weird to me, but i cant take it when love is too openly displayed

Grisaia no Rakuen

Just Michiru pregnant? Serious? Isn't a harém ending? Ok,Yuuji lives with all the girls on the insland.. Yuuji has sexual relations with all girls,but Michiru is the one that doesn't use protection...Dammit Michiru.....

Depressed is a very strong word, but the closest VN to have gotten me pretty down was Leaves. Actually, it wasn't so much as depression, but instead anger towards the main character. I had to drop that VN because of how pissed I was of that guy. :angry:  

One word: Narcissus

If you don't want to be depressed, do not read that VN. You have been warned...  :illya:

Yeah, that one's a pretty rough read actually.

I think it's made worse by knowing how it must end, rather than it being a shock.

I put Katawa Shoujo down as something that helped me when I was having a pretty bad spell, in relation to the OP. Granted it hurt but I felt, after a few days, like getting off my backside and doing something. Kinda grateful for it, really.

Well most recently

Grisaia no Kaijutsu, amane route.. 

Prolly the ending where they got old and died in peace was what hit me the most, i mean seriously such a boring death after all this shit and no closure ?

This one made me unable to continue other routes for a while.. well i still didn't pick up others even though i've cooled down.

Anyway stuff that can make me depressed ain't necessary something that would get someone else depressed i can get depressed by some really weird shit and completely get over some stuff that'd depress others.. i guess it depends on genre.. especially in war oriented stories shit that'd be depressing tends to make me excited because it means it's gonna get interesting. 

Still i honestly hate when i get depressed by game/story, i'm suffering from depression so this sort of feeling is something i prefer to avoid.. That is assuming it's strong enough to actually affect me.

I'm guessing there might be other games but i prolly don't remember it anyway.

Oh and no harem routes.. those tend to make me depressed too... well not depressed but it pissess me off when i cant get them all.

Quite lot of them are depressing, And quite lot of them have extremely dark endings.

For example the normal ending of heavens feel in fate/stay night where Shirou dies and Sakura ends up never being reunited with him, Or the whole Natsumi route in sharin no kuni.

It really goes to show how well written some novels are.

Mov-luv Alt. for reasons.

More than one, but my top being Sumika - I'm a Sumika fan, and she gets shit on pretty hard in alt. Even in the final chapter she's more of a footnote then a major character. Takaru cared more about Meiya then Sumika in that final scene - I don't think he even cared(or realized) he used her as ammo. -_-

Fate/Stay UBW route, all endings.

Hard to be happy when you know what path he will stubbornly be walking down, poor Rin having to watch it all

:(

after i finished lucia's route in rewrite i have not been able to touch a vn <even ikinari or majikoi>, it really feels like i got the bad ending, everything in the end's gone to shiet...

am i the only one who sees that in the end lucia is alone, isolated from most other people except kotaru, shizuru doesn't seam to be there for her most of the time, and ffs in a game about saving the environment we end up in a filed of artificial flowers... it feels almost as bad as usami's ending in g senjo no maou...

well i'm not a very happy go lucky kind of person most of the time so maybe that's just me being sad cuz im sad and stupid ^^

Quite lot of them are depressing, And quite lot of them have extremely dark endings.

For example the normal ending of heavens feel in fate/stay night where Shirou dies and Sakura ends up never being reunited with him, Or the whole Natsumi route in sharin no kuni.

It really goes to show how well written some novels are.

wow... spoiler man....................... spoiler warnings, do you speak them?????

Kara no Shoujo and Saya no Uta left me feeling depressed for quite a while. Both of them were just so tragic...

Touko.....why couldn't I save you!?

Saya no Uta was just depressing in general. I really pitied the main character and I felt so bad during the ending where 

Koji is dealing with paranoia and hallucinations, and he keeps one bullet in case he can't handle it anymore...

Man being the overly emotional guy i am, there are too many VN that make me depressed, but the biggest one is probably Tomoyo After.

Anybody who said Clannad is depressing never know the tragedy that is Tomoyo After.

Muv-Luv Alternative.

Specifically the moment Meiya dies, the way she blows into the chamber through the wall and proceeds to bad-ass her way through the tentacles, one of two moments in visual novels that brought me to tears like none before. I wept like a 5 year old girl who just found out shes getting adopted by the Matou's and getting raped by worms every night (enter bad Sakura from FSN joke here). The tears stopped when the tentacles started raping her though, that just seemed stupid (Age-Senpai PLEASE).

Edited by Down
Spoilers!