What are the prequisites for a VN to be adapted into anime?

GLM4475

Sales. Pretty much straight up. No anime company would gamble on a series that wouldn't sell.

Also it has to be something they can take the sex scenes out of without it completely trashing the plot because they can't have straight up sex scenes on (most) anime adaptations. There are exceptions of course, but no sex is a pretty standard rule for anime.

Sales and popularity I guess... I'd say that the VN would have to be anime material, as in has to be able to be adapted but I'm not sure what that would be which is pretty much what you are asking, nukige can get adapted to hentai but not anime. And ive seen quite the different kinds of VNs being adapted so ill just go back to the start and say sales and popularity.

As said above popularity and sales. But also sometimes depends on studios one example of that crosses my mind is Chaos;Head I don't think it is that heavily popular and anime was garbage. (correct me if I am wrong, only thing influenced chaos head into becoming anime was because it is based into Science Adventure universe)

There used to be tons more VN adaptations back in the day, recently it's about 3-4x more likely for a light novel to get adapted than a visual novel. But then if light novels get popular enough they in turn get their own visual novels and the cycle is complete.

Popularity and selling, sure, it is quite logical. But is that all? Profit making aside, there must be other reasons. If not, those anime bigshots are full of BS. What about bringing joy, fun, unforgettable experience. In the end, they only think about their own company's profit?

VN companies are rarely the kind that can shoulder the main production of an anime, so they'd need to catch the eye of a producer or look themselves for sponsors.

Sales and popularity are obviously important, but other things can factor in such as what kind of boost in sales is anticipated for the original material, what kind of derivative products can be made, etc.

But also sometimes depends on studios one example of that crosses my mind is Chaos;Head I don't think it is that heavily popular and anime was garbage. (correct me if I am wrong, only thing influenced chaos head into becoming anime was because it is based into Science Adventure universe)

Popularity and selling, sure, it is quite logical. But is that all? Profit making aside, there must be other reasons. If not, those anime bigshots are full of BS. What about bringing joy, fun, unforgettable experience. In the end, they only think about their own company's profit?

Doesn't have to be popular. If you have money and have faith in your product, you can announce an anime before the game is even released. See Aokana. But yes if the sales are good and the fan demand is there, its more likely the Anime will happen.

So, VNs and anime have a "dark side", eh? As they said, ignorance is bliss. Better not knowing.

After all, the world runs on money, and some people don't realize that they are money's faithful servants.

A highly popular and successful title with decent sales. A franchise is a plus, another one goes for a well-established studio with a good backlog. Publishers don't throw money into something, that won't at least pay back and anime industry is always business in the first place.

The reason why we don't see that much adaptations is because it's actually difficult to adjust the script. Another reason is that the vast majority of vn's sells poorly and only few of them ever reach a certain degree of popularity. It's often still not enough to ratify an adaptation. That's why only the biggest games make it into the anime industry.

Doesn't have to be popular. If you have money and have faith in your product, you can announce an anime before the game is even released. See Aokana. But yes if the sales are good and the fan demand is there, its more likely the Anime will happen.

I think some companies are just swimming in money like August and sprite, because they have animes to almost all their works. While others, like Pulltop, never got an anime adaptation of one of their works (I'd love to see a konosora anime)

I think some companies are just swimming in money like August and sprite, because they have animes to almost all their works. While others, like Pulltop, never got an anime adaptation of one of their works (I'd love to see a konosora anime)

Yeah, I agree IceD-san, that adapting the script is a hard work. It gets even harder when one route and the others differ greatly. I've been dissapointed with some anime which "forced" those routes to tangle and incredibly create a messed up story. Sometime only a single route be adapted, like FSN. Although Unlimited Blade Works has its own anime now. Will Heaven's Feel ever be adapted?

I don't have any source on this but I'm not sure how much the difficulty of adaptation comes into play, to be honest. I mean, aside VNs that would be such an obvious mess to adapt like Muv-Luv (4 cour series by Bones never).

A lot of anime already have as their #1 flaw the amateurism of script writing that seems to be everywhere in this industry, to be honest, so I'm not sure if it would stop anybody.

So, VNs and anime have a "dark side", eh? As they said, ignorance is bliss. Better not knowing.

It's not any different from other industry-media-art. Animation is expensive, even japanese animation which is cheap as hell comparatively. Making an anime requires tons of people and big bucks, so relatively big companies invest in them and expect a return on their investment, thus gaining a right to creative input that they use to make sure they get their money back. 

However there's no point shooting on everyone. Most people directly involved in making the animation are people who love their job and some have true artistic intents. A lot of jobs in anime-making are extremely exhausting and harsh and often badly paid, so you need passion to drive you into it.

The same could be said about VNs. Even more so, because eroge are not that expensive to create, but they're also an even more niche market that's currently in a crippled state. I doubt many people work on eroge to make bucks.

(I hear this eroge is the Shirobako/Bakuman of eroge industry and it also tackles some of the shady and harsh aspects of it)

I've watched Shirobako and Bakuman and I appreciate all those people involved in anime making. The thing I don't like is that some of them doing it just for the sake of money.

About eroge being not expensive, I don't think it's the case.

About eroge being not expensive, I don't think it's the case.

I was comparing them with anime, and it's definitely not the same scale. The fact that you can make full-length doujin eroge but that it's hard to reach 10-20 min of animation for indy animation projects should already be telling.

The amount of people involved is really not the same, and although we don't have many precise numbers (especially for eroge) the price of 1-cour anime series is simply an order of magnitude higher than the cost of a normal length eroge.

Will Heaven's Feel ever be adapted?

They are going to make a movie adaptation , how many movies i dont know , or how the hell they are going to script it in a decent way without changing half the route.

Also it has to be something they can take the sex scenes out of without it completely trashing the plot because they can't have straight up sex scenes on (most) anime adaptations. There are exceptions of course, but no sex is a pretty standard rule for anime.

Yosuga no sora anime comes to mind...