Revolutionary Girl Utena ~ The purpose of Chu Chu

ScarfSeeker

So, for the longest time, I've been thinking about the purpose for Chu Chu in the anime Revolutionary Girl Utena (besides for comic relief). A friend of mine, once through around the idea that maybe he was a representation of Akio in Anthy's life. Like a kind of, "I'm watching" character, and I've became kind of fond of that idea. After all, the clothes that he does wear are accessorizes commonly seen on Akio. What do you think?

tumblr_ml6uxbRTpt1r1dti4o5_r1_250.gif

In an interview Ikuhara was asked "You've said before that you're most like Chu-Chu. If Chu-Chu is a representation of Akio (be that his youth or his grasp on Anthy) does that mean you're actually more like Akio? Could you see yourself as a villain?"

His answer was:

"The first part of the question: Yes. the character I'm most like in Utena is Chu-Chu. And I don't think Chu-Chu is a represenatation of Akio, but since Anthy likes Akio Chu-Chu probably wears a necktie so that he can resemble Akio. So in the last episode, when Anthy leaves Akio, Chu-Chu takes off his necktie and returns it to Akio." You can read the rest of the interview here. That said, Ikuhara is a huge troll and you can't really trust anything he says. =/

I'm not done with Utena yet (I have like 7 episodes left), but I doubt Chu-chu represents Akio considering Chu-chu seems to fear him and always stays with Utena when Anthy goes to visit him in the Black Rose Arc.

Some have theorized that he, like the penguins in Penguindrum, is a reflection of Anthy's current mindstate but I'm not sure of that one.

I'm not done with Utena yet (I have like 7 episodes left), but I doubt Chu-chu represents Akio considering Chu-chu seems to fear him and always stays with Utena when Anthy goes to visit him in the Black Rose Arc.

Some have theorized that he, like the penguins in Penguindrum, is a reflection of Anthy's current mindstate but I'm not sure of that one.

Well, when I think about it, Chu-Chu, could be what's left of Dios. He cowers over Akio, and wears his clothing. Probably to be resonant with Akio while still acting as Dios. It could be that Chu-Chu only follows Anthy around to remind her of the prince she always wanted. Though I could be wrong.