Do you guys use walkthroughs or not?

Rabbit

Only all the damn time.

I treat VNs same as I would any other game: first run is blind, remaining runs are done with a walkthrough for 100% content completion. OCD FTW.

"Solve the mystery" type games are the sole exception — e.g., Banshee's Last Cry, etc. I play blind until I "solve" it, then do remaining runs with the walkthrough.

Only all the damn time.

I treat VNs same as I would any other game: first run is blind, remaining runs are done with a walkthrough for 100% content completion. OCD FTW.

"Solve the mystery" type games are the sole exception — e.g., Banshee's Last Cry, etc. I play blind until I "solve" it, then do remaining runs with the walkthrough.

More or less what I was going to write to the word. Like hell am I going to find out how to get to every single ending through trial and error, or painstakingly trying to remember every chain of events that got me to a certain point. That said, the blind run first is pretty important, and I don't like walkthroughs that give explicit spoilers.

When I first started reading Visual Novels I always used a guide because I was so afraid of hitting a bad end. Nowadays I feel like trying to find all the desired endings without help is part of the experience. Now I find that it's a lot more entertaining when you're not completely sure which choice is the right one. But I do occasionally make a exception when I feel completely stuck. (I'm looking at you Steins;Gate. How the hell did anyone ever find the true ending without help there? Many of the choices does not even make sense in retrospect)

Depends.  Some games you really don't need a walkthrough at all because the choices are so simple.

Sometimes I'll just play and not bother with a walkthrough the first time I play, but after the first when I go into 'capture ALL the heroines' mode I'll reference a walkthrough so I'm not wasting time.

If the game is complex enough with bad ends and easily missable CGs I'll just start with a walkthrough from the very beginning.

I originally started playing VN's because of the different paths (you have choice), but now I realise the bad endings are usually horrible and most VN's are long. Now I only read VN's using a walkthrough, only picking the routes that are good or that add to the story in a meaningful way.

Edited by kingdomcome

In moe/charages it's usually easy to get into a heroine's route, so no. Today, I want to hang out with Kotori, cuz Chihaya sucks. Then again, Lucia's a pretty good looker, and so is Akane.... 

For something like Corpse Party, nah, just yolo, more fun that way, I should totally make Yoshiki leave the room while Ayumi is going bonkers becau- WRONG END FK.

For something like Steins;Gate's True End, walkthroughs are practically a must, cuz ain't nobody gonna know that you have to text Kurisu in Chapter 2 that you tripped over Mayushii's metal upa and that in Chapter 4 you tell Daru to not go to Ferris-tan's event so you can randomly bump into Luka to talk about Suzuha and 

• 2 weeks later...

Like most of the people on here I go through the first time blind to see which ending I get without knowing anything, but I like to 100% the games I play so I use a walk-through afterwords to get everything. I'm playing Fate/Stay Night and it's the first VN I've played with a walk-through from the start. I use no spoilers walk-throughs so I don't know what's going to happen before hand.  

Yes--and No.

No because it'll just ruin the experience for me.

Yes because if I'm so frustrated in getting that good ending with a certain girl and somehow can't get it--I use the route guides to get me there.

No guides makes the VN more immersible, hence...our escape from our own reality which is steadily crumbling into chaos; this crappy generation...I agree with all my 18 yrs of existence..

oh that depends on a lot of things.

Some games are very straight forward with what to do to get the real routes.

I started out using walkthroughs from the get go, but im doing the first playthrough blind now because I want to be surprised really :P.

Like, it gives a bigger emotional impact if you suddenly hit a bad ending because of a choice you made based on your own judgement (if its well written that is)

After continually getting the bad ends on Clannad, it convinced me to just use a walkthrough so that I don't waste time.

Someday, I would like to reach the level where I can make the perfect choices without a walkthrough just like a certain kami-sama, however that is but a dream still far far away~

032.jpg

The main reason I will use walkthroughs is to save time.  Walkthroughs ensure I go straight to the route I want to go to, AND ensure I get 100% CG completion.  That isn't to say I use walkthroughs all the time - sometimes I don't bother and just play normally.  But games that have really complex choices and bad ends to navigate through?  I'll probably end up using a walkthrough after I get tired of backtracking several times.