Do you guys use walkthroughs or not?

Rabbit

Hello, i'm not sure what your take is on repeating a question or if this question has been repeated or not, I didn't find it when I did a quick search atleast. :)

I'm just wondering if you most of you make use of the walkthroughs even if it's not needed like when there's a strongly recommended routes?

I use walkthroughs personally, just because of 2 aspects, the first being that I find it to be hard to choose a girl, like I can be torn between 2 or sometimes even more girls to which one I should choose first so if I don't use walkthroughs that I'll just play through and get whatever girl I get which may make it harder to get close to the girl, and on some VNs I might end up with the same girl twice because she's the heroine that's left in the back, or i'll end up on harem route even though i prefer leaving them for last.

The other problem is that I'm a feminist and I can't leave girls in distress or be rude to girls in these games even though they are just fictional characters, so usually end up helping/agreeing/being nice to every girl along the way which can leave me at the same places as mentioned on the first one unless I know for a fact that it's a flag I can't take that is.

I'll repeat my question for those who wanna answer my curiosity ^^, do you use walkthroughs and if you wanna elaborate, why?

I don't necessairly use walkthroughs , I might look at them from time to time but I just save on a certain choice and then see what happens when I choose either of the choices and go with whatever I feel ok with in terms of the outcome. The only time I used a walkthrough was in fate/stay night to get all the bad endings.

Yes. VNs are too long (in my opinion) to waste time seeing the bad ends unless they're interesting or add to the story. Plus I like using guides that point out the best order to read through the routes in. To me a VN isn't a game, it's more like a novel, I am entertained by the complete plot, not by the ability to effect the story with my choices. I guess I never really got in to Choose Your Own Adventure novels either so that probably explains it.

I usually check to see if there is a suggested completion order and then depending on how many choices I need to make (and how many actually count towards the route) I may or may not stick with it, though it seems more often then not I do stick with them. 

Usually, I ask around and see if the VN itself requires a walkthrough to complete with efficiency. Some, like Ever17 or Clannad, have a lot of choices and mechanics and orders that are hard and frustrating to go into blindly. With such VNs, I prefer using a walkthrough of course. 

As for others, such as Rewrite or Grisaia, the choices are few and are pretty easy to figure out, regarding which route you want. With those, I do not use a walkthrough. 

Some VNs I read for the lulz (Brass Restoration. Who can play that game seriously?), which I go into blindly just to see where I'll end up :P

A lot of people say they use walkthroughs in some sort of way. I am actually quite the opposite. I enjoy choosing a girl I like and trying my best to go down her route. Interestingly enough, most moege don't have very hard choices when it comes to which girl to choose.

I actually do use walkthroughs for completion's sake. I usually don't use it on my first playthrough. And if the choices are pretty easy to determine which route it will lead, I don't use them. Personally, I don't think it's bad to use them but I suggest playing first without relying on it or it won't be fun to play the game.

I have this paranoid feeling that guides could include spoilers, and I like going into VNs as blind as possible - so no, unless I get absolutely and hopelessly stuck, I never touch guides at all. Discovering how a VN works and what the structure is is one of the medium's fun factor, in my opinion. There are some VNs that purposefully twist the conventions and use choices in a fun way, and missing out on that would be a great shame.

Muramasa, for example, wouldn't nearly be as good on your first way through if you use a guide - and Totono would be an even more extreme example, as it goes out of its way to make the use of walkthroughs downright impossible. I also generally enjoy bad ends very much, unless they're plain lazy.

Personally, I don't think it's bad to use them but I suggest playing first without relying on it or it won't be fun to play the game.

The problem that may occur for some people, like me, is that it may be hard to choose a girl and some VNs may have flags that's hard to know what does what, Otoboku which I read recently is an example on both of those, though if you save before choices you can learn which heroine the flags are for because it tells you a little while after choosing. I played without walkthrough through this game because I wanted to give it a shot, but I usually ended up on one of the heroine routes that you get if you take an equal amount of flags or something like that. I agree with you though if you enjoy playing without walkthrough and you don't encounter any difficulties than i'd suggest playing first without relying on it aswell. :)

It really depends.  For gameplay titles (which are annoying to replay), I want to know what routes exist and what the conditions are for getting the route I want.  I don't like following a walkthrough like a recipe.  For games with highly branching scenarios like School Days I'm perfectly happy playing through blindly a few times to see where I end up; much of the fun is experimenting with different choices to see what will happen.  If I get stuck I'll use a walkthrough to brute-force myself onto a different fork.  For your typical VN with one route per heroine I simply want to know what heroines are winnable, and make sure there's no hidden catches like routes that open up only once you've completed other routes.  It's very frustrating aiming at one heroine the whole time and ending up either with a bad end or with a heroine you weren't expecting.

I almost always use them to save time so I get all the good endings as well as the best place to save for branching points, plus sometimes VNs have "curve ball" choices where the choice you'd think is the correct one is actually the wrong one. Also if I'm playing an untranslated game I have one handy due to my not so perfect literacy and should the game feature timed choices

i only use a walktrough if i cant progress further on my own, and even then never on my first play through . i only use them for the most part to help me 100% the game after i did at least one blind play. i did 100% steins;gate with no walkthrough and it took around 300 hours (thanx cellphone choice mechanic)/

I like to glance over them to get a feel of how choices are structured for a VN, then play blindly to get into my desired heroine's route(s).

I definitely use them for VNs that are a bit more difficult to unlock everything (S;G achievements + true ending; Rewrite complete friends list + oppai ending).