Adapting books/other media to VNs

Zakamutt

BGs are the things that should be there,they should replace the text to describe the environment. If you don't do that it almost wouldn't be worth it to make a VN out of it? Just don't use an excessive amount of sprites (character visualisations), or find a way to make them fit the story and mood.

I’m not a fan of replacing the text with images, it would be a shame to lose all that wonderful prose. The thing about CGs, or BGs, or in fact sprites is that they are objective representations of the environment and action. Prose, on the other hand, is about character, personality, and perspective and this is especially the case in first person novels. The prose isn't just a description of the action, but is filled with the wonderful commentary, perspective, prejudices, personality, and thoughts of the narrator. For example:

“In the far corner of Lady Selachii’s drawing-room a door closed discreetly and, in the comfortable smoking-room beyond, anonymous people sat down in leather armchairs and looked at one another expectantly.”

“He turned. An attractive watchwoman behind him gave him a friendly smile. That was to say, her mouth turned up at the corners and all her teeth were visible.”

These two passages were by Terry Pratchett and as you can see they contain nuances and tone you can’t describe through pictures alone. Because pictures are objective in nature, they show the world as they are. Authors show you how THEY see the world through their prose, a subjective experience that sometimes you just can’t replace.

Some or maybe a lot of books are just not meant to be made into anything else. If I read these 2 passages though, I can imagine these being fully typed out in a VN setting like Rose Guns Days used. For example they show an empty room, drawn like a blurred picture while describing whats going on in there. In the case of Rose Guns Days, sprites appear soon after, but what if you just leave them out and let your imagination tell the rest:

You see a room with chairs during the first part of the sentence, then "anonymous people sat down...", there are dark shadows in the BG, no faces or clear forms. Then "He turned" *BG changes to a picture of a corner of a room, with nothing more than that corner* "an attractive watchwomen.." but they won't show her or a figure, you're still looking at the BG of the corner of the room where she is supposed to be. (I hope my imagination wasn't too vague here, lol.. I tried to describe what I had in mind the best way possible).

Anyway, I think these lines could work in a VN like this. What you're doing is copy paste the sentences into the world they're supposed to describe. I think if you pick the right BGs/sceneries and effects, you can really add to the atmosphere the sentences were meant to create.

In the sample above I was talking about drawn BGs of a room, but it can also just be like this: a black screen with white text.. describing how the culprit is near and you're locked in. Then at a certain moment, he finds you!! *shocking music* and.. you're stabbed! *eerie music starts playing and the screen shows red blood drops, and eventually will turn bright red.* This is a simple example but when done right I really believe this could add to your reading experience. 

Example of some BGs in Rose Guns Days:

1zfpvtg.jpg

2llc8qf.jpg