Fuwa? What happened?

Here is the issue, Fuwanovel has a distinct culture now. We've had a massive influx of new people, many of whom have risen to the ranks of staff or very influential members. Many of the people who were with Fuwa from the start are gone now. Us type of people who were there early on are the minority. We can't go back to the way things were. Its impossible. The forums are now going a new direction and unfortunately, if you dont like it, you just gotta deal with it. Fuwanovel has never ever had clear strict rules and moderation has always been a housecleaning duty over actual user moderation. Warnings and bans are a last final resort. It has always been that way. Things are not going to change. That point was passed a long long time ago. 

Tl;dr: Its a new direction for the forums, and us long time members are the minority to the many new members. Simple as that. 

To be honest, the OP and the comment about the TS has really made me want to reconsider how I go about doing anything from now on. My comedic style has been something I feel I have established well enough over the past year that I can act a certain way and feel people understand I enjoy joking around some times. This thread makes me worried. I feel that I need to reconsider making jokes in my threads anymore and rework my YouTube channel if it's going to make this place a dump.

Especially the coliseum of chatter has had it's fair share of, well, garbage threads lately... having fun is good and all, but I've noticed a lot of the threads are just inside jokes from people in a side community, the skype one in particular, as that's where I'm most active myself. Personally, I really don't see why you'd have to post something like that here on the forums, as you're basically excluding all the 'outsiders' from what you're talking about. I'd like to ask people to think why they're making a thread, instead of just spamming posts, because that's really what it feels like sometimes.

I've been around Fuwanovel for quite a while myself and I have nothing significant to complain about. Yes Fuwa used to be a lot smaller, and it certainly had it's appeal as a super small community. I do have nostalgic memories of getting into interesting debates with people about VNs. Our debates were quite civil and never really derailed, but that was also because there were far fewer people to involve themselves in the discussion. Also, during those days the forums had phases of virtually being dead at times. Largely I think this is pretty much the same Fuwa it's always been just with a lot more users (and minus Aaeru, Ryoji, and Steve).

That's not say that some of the stuff you complained about doesn't bother me, but as Down pointed out Fuwa always had irrelevant and stupid discussions at times. It also has really intelligent and interesting discussions other times (as it always has). 

Kind of sad how the mods are reacting to this. I'm pointing out you can support these kind of subjects yet remove them once you've seen fit. It only drives people to continue because the people who they look up to are supporting it.

But this thread wasn't just about how toxic the Forums are, it was also about how slow and how inactive important projects and updates are going. Like I said it feels like the only improvement has happened so far is you guys removing the. I would really appreciate  if you took this into consideration and not as a direct threat.  

But update the rules regardless.

Fuwa is not going to shit, it's just going through the usual cycle where some older users feel at odd with the newer members, and where there's a discrepancy between the various groups that form themselves around the forum.

This. People were saying the same things when I joined the forum, and I've seen it plenty of times on other websites.

Fuwa has always had its fair share of shit topics since I've been here. Waifu threads, things like which "dere" are you, h-scenes in VNs... 

It's true that actual discussion on visual novels and the industry is lacking, but that's been a persisting trend since I can remember.

So basically you are telling us: less joking around , more vn discussions?

Other than that, I wouldn't say that fuwa has changed. Tbh what u feel happens in every forums when u find newer people going around posting and u feel like there is no place for you cuz u know it has become a place for a bunch of newbies and u start to feel nostalgia towards the days when u were posting with ur well-known friends. That's the way I see it and that's totally normal.

Although I should say that today was a little overboard.

I really don't think this is much different than it once was, it's just that now there's more people so it's more noticeable.

I've been on Fuwanovel for over a year and over that time i've seen plenty of silly threads just like i've seen plenty of serious threads and every time there were always people complaining, it's just that now it's on a larger scale so it's become noisier.

But I do think that sometimes it might get a little toxic, so when that happens it's up to us to try and control it a little and see if we can work things out instead of just pointing stuff out all the time.

But the point still stands, Fuwa hasn't gone to shit, it's just that it's had more vocal members, but the usual behavior that we've had from a year ago is still here for the most part.

No reason we can't work on the matter, but no reason we have to be super pessimistic about it either.

Kind of sad how the mods are reacting to this. I'm pointing out you can support these kind of subjects yet remove them once you've seen fit. It only drives people to continue because the people who they look up to are supporting it.

But this thread wasn't just about how toxic the Forums are, it was also about how slow and how inactive important projects and updates are going. Like I said it feels like the only improvement has happened so far is you guys removing the. I would really appreciate  if you took this into consideration and not as a direct threat.  

But update the rules regardless.

Unfortunately I'm not involved with any of Fuwanovel's improvements projects, I'm simply a moderator now as per the new staff structure, so I don't even know what's going on in the other end :(

This was simply a set of rules I came up with on the spot to see if people calm down a little.

You know I always wanted to believe "oh expect great things~!" But nothing has happened, nothing expect removing the torrents. It was like every said "Welp, the torrents are gone, lets pack up and leave" 

I have nothing new to add. If Fuwa announces something in February then you can usually expect it around August at the earliest. Nothing new here, really.

Lewy ? What happened ? You said something good !

Yeah, I 100% agree and I already defended that in the chat.

If the plan is to reach out to new communities and attract new players, you want to work on your image.

And the community is not displaying an attractive behavior.

fuwanovel is not 4chan people..

Well, there's not much point asking mods about this. We're not in charge of projects that are outside the forums.

The new front site IS slow to come out and I think you know more about this than even I do considering you talk more with the people involved with it as far as I know. I'm sure you realize both Tay and Nayleen are very busy.

On the other things ARE happening. VNTL Moon, as a successor to VNTS, is a biggest deal for the VN community as a whole than most things that happen on the forums. The social medias and the blog keep developing too.

If the plan is to reach out to new communities and attract new players, you want to work on your image.

And the community is not displaying an attractive behavior.

fuwanovel is not 4chan people..

I agree with Maef....

New things happen everyday I guess.  :Kappa:

Just wanted to let you guys know we've been straightening things out in the F.S.G.

I know I can't speak for all of them, but I still feel the need to apologize for my behaviour. So yeah, I'm sorry. We went too far and most of us have realized that.

That's all. I hope we didn't cause you guys too much trouble :amane:  

Especially the coliseum of chatter has had it's fair share of, well, garbage threads lately... having fun is good and all, but I've noticed a lot of the threads are just inside jokes from people in a side community, the skype one in particular, as that's where I'm most active myself. Personally, I really don't see why you'd have to post something like that here on the forums, as you're basically excluding all the 'outsiders' from what you're talking about. I'd like to ask people to think why they're making a thread, instead of just spamming posts, because that's really what it feels like sometimes.

While I am no saint, as I have taken part in the posting in some of these threads, I do agree that the spamming does need to be calmed down. I mean like, there were like... six arab threads before they all got merged. SIX. I feel like that right there is easily crossing the line.

These are my thoughts after what has happened over the course of today though, as my feelings towards this matter were changed over the course of the last two incidents with spammy topics. Like, random topics are fine and dandy in my opinion... but topic spamming for the sake of topic spamming is going too far, especially with the inside jokes stuff. This is why we have the unforgettable quotes threads.

Obviously what Fuwa needs is an RP section

Sorry, I had to.

Real talk: There were only a few threads in Chatter that actually got my hackles up but they were closed pretty swiftly so I dunno. Should I be upset that someone thought it would be okay to create those threads at all, or thankful that the mods swept them under the rug as quickly as they did?

Well, there's not much point asking mods about this. We're not in charge of projects that are outside the forums.

The new front site IS slow to come out and I think you know more about this than even I do considering you talk more with the people involved with it as far as I know. I'm sure you realize both Tay and Nayleen are very busy.

On the other things ARE happening. VNTL Moon, as a successor to VNTS, is a biggest deal for the VN community as a whole than most things that happen on the forums. The social medias and the blog keep developing too.

You do have access to the LC, sure you're not apart of the projects but you are able and can willingly join and motivation the people who are. You are really undermining the power you mods have... 

Feel like the LC is dead at the moment... And I would really like if tay expanded his group and stopped acting like a one man army. I'm sorry but he can't do everything on his own. He needs help, otherwise we're just going to have the same thread 5 months later

Edited by Lewycool

Just wondering. For the people complaining about Fuwa's current community, do you have any idea how toxic most VN communities were before Fuwa was around? I agree that there are problems, but generally our problem is being too accepting. And no matter how you look at it, that's way better than being a bunch of elitist pricks to one another.  

Yeah I do hear other vn communities are toxic for the most part. And some of the complaining does come off as elitism to me. It seams to be the same people complaining about thing for a while now. Just calm down people it an internet forum. 

Just wondering. For the people complaining about Fuwa's current community, do you have any idea how toxic most VN communities were before Fuwa was around? I agree that there are problems, but generally our problem is being too accepting. And no matter how you look at it, that's way better than being a bunch of elitist pricks to one another.

The thing is, why would you even want to be like them? It's like when you're in school and the teacher tells you off but you say "But he/she is doing it too". It doesn't matter what the other VN communities do, it's about what we do And what we do to represent ourselves and how to show that we really care about what we all believe in.

....., and was Friendly! ( I know... everyone being Friendly? whaaa).....

I have no idea what you are talking about hah hah hah :nervous:. Yeah that is definitely something I need to work on, I usually don't join internet communities, but since I've been pretty active on the fuwanovel forums I've notice I have some anger issues I need to work on. Twice I had people telling me that fuwanovel has gone to shit because of new people like myself.

Yeah I do hear other vn communities are toxic for the most part. And some of the complaining does come off as elitism to me. It seams to be the same people complaining about thing for a while now. Just calm down people it an internet forum. 

This was thought when this topic came up last year. I get that it's great to try to facilitate healthy discussion, but it's ultimately up to the community to decide what shape that discussion takes. I mean, the powers that be can clamp down on these "cancerous" or lighthearted threads, but I think that will ultimately just end up killing discussion rather than curating it.

I don't think the people dissatisfied with how the community is  don't have a legitimate interest or concern, but in some ways it just looks to me like resisting change altogether rather than the type of change.

The way I see it Fuwanovel has always been kind of like an untamed stallion.

I have seem so much bickering over the course of the time I have been here that it doesn't really phase me. Now if things are getting so out of hand that people are being driven away, that's another story. Overall I think that Fuwanovel is doing just fine and tomorrow well all be happy campers again

The way it's going I doubt there will be a fuwa. Nothing will keep people interested and they'll move onto the next community.

But I'm not just talking how toxic people are lately. I'm also talking about how inactive projects are and how tay is trying to be a one man army. 

We need a stable Admin group who always has someone who is active and keen to help and keep projects alive.

Edited by Lewycool

When I opened up zis topic, my immediate reaction was "Man Lewy, not you too. Did you turn into Maef or something?" except slightly less eloquent. The talk of sexism is practically the only thing new and interesting to me (and not really new, just something I haven't seen in a thread before).

You do have access to the LC, sure you're not apart of the projects but you are able and can willingly join and motivation the people who are. You are really undermining the power you mods have... 

Feel like the LC is dead at the moment...

Well, the LC is dead more or less. Also, in some ways the LC was set up specifically to make mods not have to do anything but make moderation decisions whilst people responsible for other parts would take responsibility for those. It would be weird if the mods were to be expected to dip their noses into everything now, lol.

Anyway: In most if not all cases of things not happening very fast on Fuwa, the cause is that the people involved are too lazy or busy to work on it.