Personalized Recent Threads Box

We were talking on Fuwachat about how to have a more ideal "Recent Threads" box for users who don't like seeing certain threads and I wanted to suggest, if possible, implementing a feature that lets each user select what boards can feature threads on the Recent Threads box.

So say I don't want to see threads from the Lounge on my Recent Threads box, I could go and disable that on my personal settings.

I'm not sure if IPB can even manage this, but I believe it would be a really lovely feature for a lot of people and would definitely solve a lot of problems.

*waits for Nay/Tay to say it's impossible*

That sounds suspiciously similar to something I wrote yesterday before the thread was heartlessly closed, blocking my submission.

There's a lot of threads in the recent topics that I don't feel are interesting or worth highlighting. However, the whole point of it is that anyone can create a thread on any topic and get attention. In that regard, the recent topics feature is working as intended. You have a few hours to a day to catch the attention of others before your thread disappears from the recent topics bar. Hopefully by then you've drawn enough traffic that people are posting in your thread to bump it to the top of their respective boards, and you have people that are actively following the thread via the follow option.

The recent threads feature is just there to get the ball rolling. The other forum features are what keep the discussion going after that, and those are working just fine.

Just to be clear, you're arguing about the ramifications of the recent posts feature, not your personal usage right? It wouldn't be a controversial move to make the feature customizable such that you could add your own filters to it. Well, at that point it'd be essentially the same thing as following particular forums, which I suppose would be kind of redundant.

Down replied:
We probably won't touch that feature but there are other points that need tuning regarding the boards.

Regarding customization, the idea was pitched to Nayleen before and it's too complicated/impossible to implement that on IPB.

Someone did mention this was posted somewhere, I didn't see it though~

Well, I figured this would be the case but I might as well post it one way or another. One can hope.

I was quoting Nosebleed on that and he forgot about it already.

Tehee~

Too complicated does not equal not doing it. Impossible with the current software is an alright excuse, but something being too complicated for an oft requested feature rubs me the wrong way. I really like this idea to have it personalized instead of cutting off certain boards from showing up in it.