VN with good story and LOT of gags?

GLM4475

Well, I'm still playing Grisaia no Kajitsu and really engrossed in it. A really nice VN. So I've been thinking of getting my hands to similar VNs. Can you guys recommend me some? If possible with a short review.

Little Busters

Since the focus is placed more on a group of friend than a single coupling between the main character and X girl, there's more quality time spent with everyone just joking around and having a good time. The humor is absolutely classic, and the common route has tons of parts that will have you rolling around in laughter. The characters are also very cute and each one has a decently interesting story to tell.

Even when things get serious the characters will still joke around a little to make sure things don't get too heavy. It's great stuff.

Might seem bizarre but Umineko might also be something you would want to try. Despite how bloody and dark the story gets at some points, across all 8 games there is a ton of light-hearted stuff, and one of the main strengths of Ryuukishi07's writing is that he knows when to be serious and when to not take things too seriously. He loves making fun of his own tropes and the tropes slapped onto his games by the community.

A VN that incorporates comedy, drama, and takes place in a highschool? That's not a very specific criteria in the world of visual novels.

Well, I'll do my best to give you some good recomendations.

• Ayakashibito - In this world the descendents of youkai inherit special powers, in a true xmen fashion they are labled monsters by society. The protagonist is Takabe Ryouichi, one of the descendents that lived his entire life on a island containment facility. One day he decides he had enough of this shit and, with a girl named Suzu, decide to make a run for it to Kamizawa City (sort of a safe haven for the descendents).

I loved the protagonist in this vn, he's kinda like a more functional Forrest Gump that knows martial arts and has the powers of magneto. There is excelent drama, comedy, and lovable characters. If I had a major complaint, some of the h-scenes come out of nowhere and serve little purpose aside from fanservice.

• Maje de Watashi ni Koishinasai! - Yamato spends his daily life with his close group of friends, one day they welcome two girls into their group in the new semester to shake things up. Did I mention their school has a bizarre love for the martial arts and weapon combat? There are personal battles and massive combat events on a regular basis.

Definitely weaker on the drama side of things, majikoi is a title that you have to turn off your brain to enjoy. The world is soo wonderfully goofy and over the top that you just kinda go along with how fun it is. That's not to say it dosn't have its' serious moments, but all the drama is a byproduct of the ridiculousness of the majikoi world.

• Rewrite - Uhhhhh, not sure how much I want to say here. Kinda hard to say what Rewrite is without spoiling crap. Let's just say it starts off as a typical "club" type storyline you see alot of in anime and VNs, till the half-way point.

Typical Key slice of life common route, till you get to the characters routes. There you are beaten to death by the drama. A bit of a polarizing VN, some people love it.... others hate it. Be prepared for some environmental preaching.

• MuvLuv Trillogy - ......

You've read dozens of VNs and still havn't picked up MuvLuv?!?!?!

Whatchu waiting for man?

Rewrite, huh? I've been considering whether I'll play it for a while. Since it's a big size VN, I guess it'll take much time to be finished. Is it really worth the time, Eclipsed-san?

About Little Busters, I've actually finished the game and yeah it's a great game. Still waiting for the EX! full translation patch release.

Can you give a little review about Sharin no Kuni, Deep Blue-san?

~~

Thanks for the recommendation, Soulless Watcher-san, I'll try them then. By the way, how do you know I haven't tried Muv Luv yet? I actually have Muv Luv first part of the trilogy, but since the installation failed several times, yeah, I haven't got the chance to play it.

Rewrite is nothing NOTHING like grisaia in any way...and the main character in some route behaves like a complete moron and clueless about everything around him(with kotori's  route specially!)

Sharin is very similar to grisaia in many ways, the mc specially they share a lot of things although i think kenichi is better than Yuuji

It has comedy, a very good drama, school life, some action and some really amazing plot twist that you wont see them coming at all add the perfect MC with the perfect antagonist (Masaomi)  and yes you have almost the perfect vn :P

Thanks for the recommendation, Soulless Watcher-san, I'll try them then. By the way, how do you know I haven't tried Muv Luv yet? I actually have Muv Luv first part of the trilogy, but since the installation failed several times, yeah, I haven't got the chance to play it.

Well, I just said that based on your VNDB page :ph34r:. It's a personal favorite of mine, but if you are not a hard science fiction fan, like I am, you probably will not enjoy it as much.

I can only give you untranslated suggestions, but here they are:

Evolimit

Tokyo Babel

Tiny Dungeon (the series)

Nanairo Reincarnation

Silverio Vendetta (in the sense that the protagonist is fairly hilarious)

Draculius

Hapymaher

Harumade, Kururu

Natsumade, Yururu

Natsu no Owari no Nirvana

Tsuki ni Yorisou, Otome no Sahou

Tsuisou no Augment (both)

Baldr Sky Zero (both)

Yurikago yori Tenshi Made

Hello, Lady

Akatsuki no Goei (series)

Electro Arms

Lovesick Puppies

Remiscence

Tojita Sekai no Tori Colony

To varying degrees, these all fulfill your 'serious but with gags/hilarity' request.  Something to look forward when you overcome the handicap you and I were both born with, not knowing the one true language.

Edit:  I'd recommend Akatsuki no Goei, because Grisaia in many ways mimics Akatsuki no Goei's best points, as well as some of its worst (such as being three games rather than one, with the original perfectly playable as stand-alone).  Evolimit is a good choice if you like science-fantasy, because it is both hilarious, serious, and inspiring.  If you want more of a focus on hilarity, Tiny Dungeon is probably the best choice, simply because Rosebleu's humor is really easy to get into.  Last of all, I'd say that Hello, Lady or Yurikago yori Tenshi Made would be a good choice if you like some fantasy mixed in and want that peculiar mix of hilarious character interactions, unique protagonists, and extreme seriousness all jumbled together.

Thanks for your list Clephas-san, but I'll settle for the translated VNs. I'm suck at learning kanji. I forget to mention, but I'd refrain from reading otome, Yuri/BL VNs, somehow my heart feels restless and uncomfortable each time I try to read them. Akatsuki no Goe is an otome, right?

Akatsuki no Goei isn't an otomege...

Also, if you suck at kanji, you can still learn Japanese, lol.

Oh really, Akatsuki no Goei isn't an otomege huh? Well, I'll check it up later.

About kanji, I'm still learning it, but it's fruitless.

Not really.  Just stop thinking of it as an alphabet... also, learn the radicals first.  Once you understand the radicals, you can figure out at least half the other kanji with some context.

214.  Still, if you learn those, it is really easy to interpret more complex kanji, since most have some kind of radical as a part of them, which provides a clue as to their meaning.

Thanks for your list Clephas-san, but I'll settle for the translated VNs. I'm suck at learning kanji. I forget to mention, but I'd refrain from reading otome, Yuri/BL VNs, somehow my heart feels restless and uncomfortable each time I try to read them. Akatsuki no Goe is an otome, right?

well, just my opinion, if you only want to just 'read' vn, you don't have to know and understand 1000++ kanji. just use ith and aggregator, and if you meet with some difficult word, just flash the cursor and you get the meaning. you'll get whole sentence by then. but of course you'd enjoy more of the vn if you've learned kanji firsthand.

it's a good way to got yourself accustomed to the grammar, and kanji, if you're using hiragana on top of the kanji settings. in my case, i went for furigana, so now my kanji sucks.

clephas-san has listed all i can think of, :makina: 残念

but the ones i'd highlight :

-Akatsuki no goei (really, you should read this one)

-Nanairo reincarnation (this too)

-hapymaher

-hello, lady!

-Majikoi

-deardrops

:wahaha: :wahaha:

I have Edelweiss in my HDD Ariurotl-san. 

But I haven't touched it since the time I read its first paragraphs.

It just doesn't click with me.

I have aggregator, TyR-san, but it wasn't a nice experience. 

My reading speed become drastically slower than a walking snail. 

The translation is also not accurate and messed up sometimes. 

About the list, I'll check them up. 

Can you give some reviews about those VNs, TyR-san?

I have Edelweiss in my HDD Ariurotl-san. 

But I haven't touched it since the time I read its first paragraphs.

It just doesn't click with me.

I have aggregator, TyR-san, but it wasn't a nice experience. 

My reading speed become drastically slower than a walking snail. 

The translation is also not accurate and messed up sometimes. 

About the list, I'll check them up. 

Can you give some reviews about those VNs, TyR-san?

you're not using aggregator to read the english translation, are you? cause you just don't use aggregator that way, ask google translate why.

i use them to read like this, and so far, i'm confident i can read most of untranslated VNs. excluding few titles where the japanese is just simply mind-fuggin hard.

(hello hello dies irae and muramasa :makina:)

124.png

i'm using katakana setting now since i want to improve my katakana skills.

This is the guide that showed me the way of untranslated. :wahaha:

https://kipchu.wordpress.com/2012/08/02/visual-novel-help-translation-tools-for-playing-untranslated-visual-novels/

as for reviews, i've never done any review... :makina: so if you want it better try asking clephas-san there. :sachi: honto ni sumimason!

• akatsuki no goei trinity - "The story takes place in a little bit future. The police has no control and a lot of crimes happen here and there. To deal with this problem, the government establishes a bodyguard training school. Kaito, the main character, enters it and becomes a bodyguard through hard training. On the last day of school, other students look happy, but he doesn't. "I'll hire you as my bodyguard. Good luck," she just says arrogantly. "What...?" Her atmosphere really makes him think.... He just wants to protect her...."

akatsuki no goei trinity has 3 story (obviously), akatsuki no goei ; akatsuki no goei-principal tachi no shuumatsu (fandisk) ; and akatsuki no goei tsumibukaki shuumatsuron (sequel). and i consider the tsumibukaki as the 'climax' of the story. though the story of the first two title a bit slow, you definitely won't get bored. i'd really recommend this one to someone who's going to delve into the untranslated vns.

more so if you're the type who loves vns with many heroines route, boke protag, and OP protags

and the language is a bit high, but, not to the degree of unreadable.

the only minus point of the series (this probably, no, definitely my subjective opinion) is the lack of variety of the bgms, so when i played it back then i'd mute the bgm, and play other vn/animes bgm on my player when the scene and the bgm is quite unaligned. i probably the only one on the earth who does this, but forget that, i really enjoyed the series.

• nanairo reincarnation - Makoto was in his third year at university when his grandfather passed away and transferred his property entirely to him. He was ready to start living alone, but when he moved in, he was greeted by the zashikiwarashi Iyo and the oni Kikyou. They were only visible to him since he had inherited a special power which allowed him to see spirits. He had also inherited the ‘duty’ of the Kagami family, which had been passed on from generation to generation. With the support of the oni, he must use his power to appease the wandering souls in the town and help them rest at peace.

damn, just read this. why turn a blind eye on a piece of this kamige? no words needed. just read it. really, this vn is one of the rare vns which still could make my eyes watery even when its the second time i read it.

http://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/2086-clephas-vn-of-the-month/page-9#entry171318

• majikoi - Kawakami City is famous for its strong dedication to its samurai ancestors. A strong fighting spirit is always valued and it's even an important factor in succeeding in school there

Yamato, a second year student from Kawakami Highchool is always with his close friends (4 boys and 3 girls). They have known each other since they were young and have done loads of things together. They have many other friends, but this seven people is a close-knit group, they even have a secret base where they meet...

With the new semester, they welcome two girls into their group and shortly after things start to change...

this one really has great comedy, and i fav the art of this one. and top of that, a really colorful routes (heroines). from the light love development to the dark heavy momentum. the classic boke-tsukkomi, the chara stereotypes, and the jokes brought out by all the combination of the aspect of the vn  just hits the bullseye. also, one more thing, who would get bored with those 10++ heroine routes? :wahaha:

• hapymaher - After an accident, Tooru experienced lucid dreams every time he slept. Realizing that he’s in a dream all the time means that his body cannot rest, leading to him getting rest only when he collapsed from exhaustion. One day, a girl who he hadn’t seen since the accident appeared in his dream. The girl Maia was the cause of his current condition and is a nightmare to him. However, another girl named Alice wandered into his dream, vowing to save him. Maia whispered in his ear: “This is the story of a sweet happy nightmare”.

Another kamige.

• Deardrops - Shouichi was known as one of the ‘nobles’ of the violin world. Having started playing the violin when he was 3, he won the national violin competition when he was in middle school and went to Germany to play in orchestras. However, due to unknown reasons, he returned to Japan, gave up playing the violin and became a freeter. One day, he starts working at a live house and meets many other amateur musicians who are living their lives their own way. Together they will have to overcome obstacles in both their personal lives and as a band. To Shouichi, the live house is a new beginning in a new place… a new world which has opened to him when he thought that his future as a musician had closed.

i just slipped in this one in because i thought you haven't read this one yet, since deardrops is translated to eng. i really had fun reading this one. i love the story, art, and OSTs. one piece of advice if you haven't read this and planning to read this. DON'T read Riho's route first.

you really have to save the best for the last on this one. bcause the other one is just too meh compared to Riho's. just my opinion.

• Hello, Lady! - Many problems lie ahead for society in the 21st century. The best youths in the country are gathered at the super-elite Amakawa Noble School where they are trained to lead us to a brilliant future. They are led by five bishoujos known as ‘crowns’. One day, the leader of the crowns Saku was the target of a terrorist attack. She was saved by Shinri, who was invited to the school as the sixth crown. However, he is at odds with the school system. He vowed to do things under his accord and bring change to the school. Saku decided that she must keep an eye on him.

yeah, there's a LOT of gags in this vn. overpowered, boke, arrogant bastard protagonist. he holds deep grudge and dark past behind his cheery and light poker face. and i just simply can't hate this type of protagonist. lol. but a bit high language level. better read this if you have 'defeated' akagoei.