Re-introducing an old mechanic

The filtering of sub-forums in the "recent topics" panel.

It was done back in the days by Steve and was a great change.

Idea : Members lounge, and other discussion thread not poping up there anymore.

(I'm adding members lounge because there is no differece between it and General discussion the way it is currently used).

Potential Reasons :

Allowing better visibility to Vn or forum related threads.

Re-centering the activity of the forum.

Avoiding "troll"/"shit" threads getting attention.

Additionnaly, posts and likes did not add to their respective counters in these forums.

If you plan to discuss the matter, please keep it polite and provide arguments for or against.

The filtering of sub-forums in the "recent topics" panel.

It was done back in the days by Steve and was a great change.

Idea : Members lounge, and other discussion thread not poping up there anymore.

(I'm adding members lounge because there is no differece between it and General discussion the way it is currently used).

Potential Reasons :

Allowing better visibility to Vn or forum related threads.

Re-centering the activity of the forum.

Avoiding "troll"/"shit" threads getting attention.

Additionnaly, posts and likes did not add to their respective counters in these forums.

If you plan to discuss the matter, please keep it polite and provide arguments for or against.

As someone who actively uses these areas of the forums and likes my threads getting attention when I host games and other material for the site, I am strongly against this suggestion. Personally, I don't want to feel like my threads (and others) are getting shafted, because if that change does happen, I have no point in posting on this site or actively doing anything for it since all of the threads will go unnoticed.

However, if you can find a place to post threads for my games and activities where it does get fed into the recent topics, then by all means I support this idea if it fits.

1. We have a recognition blog that posts weekly 'threads you should check out' 
2. We have expanded Recent Topics from 5 to 7+7

-> Visibility for 'VN or forum related threads' is a-okay; if there's a shortage of these threads though, blame the community :scottsune:

I have noticed that there is an abundance of 'fluff' threads being created though. The 7+7 starts shafting older threads within a day now.

~~

I see a difference b/w Members' Lounge and General Discussion :Kappa:. Lounge has more member-oriented 'get to know each other' topics whereas GD has topical discussion topics. Will admit that the line can be blurry b/w the two though, may need to implement stricter guidelines on what goes where.

I would also like to add that when troll threads did clutter the sidebar of recent topics (to name an example, the Skype group's Arabic trolling threads), they were immediately merged and traffic was reduced. To use an example from my own threads, every single stream thread I post is deleted after the session and removed from the site, thus making it appear as if it wasn't even there.

The Lounge was created with the intent of being a more member focused board where users can post about thing related to themseles, it was a way to legitimize such type of discussion and give it a place, it's not General Discussion 2.0 and I think most people know this by now, and hence why threads for that appear on the box and why posts in that board go for post count.

The coliseum of chatter can use work in controling the influx of threads and we've been having discussions about how to improve it, but I really don't agree with any threads disappearing from the recent threads box, I think all of them have an equal right to be there.

You're saying they obstruct VN discussion threads, well maybe there aren't many VN discussion threads to begin with? 

And more to the point, I'm going through the box right now and there's 6 VN threads in there so I really don't know what you're exactly complaining about. And on top of that the VN board is at the very top of the forum so you know if you have any form of interst in discussing VNs you're a click away from doing so.

The box was even increased to fix this problem of threads getting buried and it can now hold 14 threads at a time, I really don't see any reason to go back to the old ways when this was a fix most people agreed on would help and it has clearly helped since threads stay up there for much longer.

Also, why are likes such a big deal, are they like some form of currency that needs to be nerfed? If you're going to say it's because only "legitimate posts that contribute a lot" deserve likes, well go on to the most liked content and you'll see 90% of the threads in there are all VN related (and 50% are Majikoi TL updates), again bringing the question why are likes bothering you.

And with the newly added blogs we've been giving visibility to so many good threads, why not follow that?

I feel like you're just letting these threads get to you more than they should, if you don't care about them just ignore them, go discuss VNs if you really want to, why not follow the VN board so you get updates on legitimate VN discussion? 

These changes were made as a form to legitimize all boards, I'm not saying they can't use improvements, but nerfing some boards just because you don't like them is not a way to go about it. We can discuss things with any problematic people and maybe make new rules, but as far as everything else goes everyone has equal rights.

(I'm adding members lounge because there is no differece between it and General discussion the way it is currently used)

Maybe this is more of an issue of defining clean lines between what can be in Members' Lounge and what can not, and make sure it is enforced, then. I'll admit that I do sometime see threads in there where I think "shouldn't that be somewhere else instead?" - Maybe that's just me.