Why should I bother reading VNs

Mephisto

It's been a while (prob 1/2 a year) since I've really sat down and read a VN now. 

Convince me to read a VN by giving a recommendation and a reason why I should spend the effort/time to read it instead of doing other stuff. 

Untranslated/translated doesn't matter. Would prefer not reading something by Hino since I don't think I could muster up the effort of going through his prose right now. Genre doesn't really matter as long as the protagonist isn't retarded/annoying. 

If anyone succeeds I'll boost them to diamond  i'll translate something for them. (Not too long, a chapter of manga/a LN or a scene from a VN) 

Visual Novels are a medium, so forcing yourself to read a VN “just because” is a good way to become disillusioned with the thing. Maybe treat it as a bunch of stories. You don’t expect to devour the majority of books released in a year, or many at all actually, but every so often one will catch your eye.

Just keep an eye out for stories that interest you, no matter what medium it’s in.

Have you tried Sakura Spirit?

to much shit now is in  vn market     But ever since I looked into Fate/Stay Night almost two years ago, I would consider myself a Visual Novel fan almost as much as an anime fan.  Visual Novels being mixed up with video games, is one of the most tragically harmful cases of ignorant stereotypes limiting a medium’s potential. Sure, some people are always creating certain stereotypes about every genre, medium, and art type. I’m not really bothered by most of these, because it’s obvious that the kind of people who would judge a complex genre based on a few vague impressions and jokes that they heard, are not just uninformed, but inherently narrow-minded and ignorant.

Well, let's give it a try then... Since you don't have a VNDB (or at least it ain't on your profile), I'll just go around something that looks good.

Subarashiki Hibi seems to be really amazing, it has a lot of hype around it and two of the persons whose thoughts I highly value when it comes to untranslated VNs rate it extremely well. 11/10 even.

Natsu no Owari no Nirvana is a game I really wanna read eventually, but I can't say much more than that the synopsis looks great and the art is amazing imo. 

Boku no Pico hahaha. But seriously, just search for an interesting VN and try to read it. But if you insist, try reading Hoshizora no Memoria. I won't be giving you why though. Just try something and you'll be hooked by it in no time.

There's really no rush in this things. If you find yourself not able to like reading a VN, then just stop and do what you have to do.

Now, I would be another one of those people who ultimately recommends SubaHibi first and foremost, but since a few others have already done so, I'll try recommending two different works that you might enjoy depending on several factors.

If you want a (highly) rewarding experience story-wise and theme-wise, and are able to handle extremely descriptive Japanese text alongside chuuni dialogues, then I recommend Muramasa. Like SubaHibi, I feel that it's a game pretty much everyone should play at some point regardless of their preferences.

However, if that doesn't sound all that palatable to you, then how about an intelligent comedy and writing-centric title like Oretsuba?

Both are rather mainstream titles. Otherwise, all else I'd have are overly niche VNs even ranging from doujin games. I'm trying to avoid recommending something too inherently niche here, but if you ask me, I can find something from that category as well.

Did I win?

I've been there before (there have been one or two instances before that I stopped reading VNs for a good half a year). Honestly, the best solution is to just wait until you crave them again. There is nothing I can really do about that (time will do that job). But if/when you find yourself craving a story with dark and philosophical themes, I recommend Swan Song without reservation. It does a great job questioning what it means to be a "civilized human".

Similarly, if you enter a phase where you can't stop thinking about death (maybe a family member suddenly died or something), the original Narcissu would be a perfect choice to read. Since I know you read Untld VNs, you've probably already read both those titles. And even if that's the case, I recommend them so highly because they are stories worth rereading.       

I'm surprised Dies Irae hasn't been mentioned considering the amount of people that love it, so I recommend that. Even if I haven't played it.

More seriously:

Shikkoku no Sharnoth - It's got a great atmosphere, and the characters are good too. It's like a survival horror with good drama here and there. The story is pretty simple, but all the details of it are pushed to the background making you want more. The writing style is really poetic, but it might be a turn-off to others. It has lots of repetitions in scenes which could get boring. It's rather niche, I guess. If you liked anything in the steampunk series, you'll probably like the rest.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni - It's got good characters. They are complex and likable, despite their being a lot of them. If they aren't complex or likable, then they're not given much attention too. The story is good too. With a slew of mind-screws, it's pretty interesting to go through all through out. There are many interpretations for everything that happens in the plot. Other than that, it definitely delivers in the feels aspect. The VN I'd call deep; structurally if not thematically. You'll find a little bit of every genre in here with a little bit more of mystery and fantasy.

Phenomeno - Something really short, but entertaining nonetheless. Another horror title that manages to captivate you from beginning to end. Solid writing, and a good atmosphere.

Find why you read VN's and then find a VN which you know interests you enough. Then deal with procrastination and inertia and read it. I reccomend Midori no Umi. Easy read which doesn't take much effort, but different enough setting to be somewhat novel and interesting. Also has some atmosphere, a VN staple.

How about playing No, Thank You!!! Title fit's your tsun'ness, although prbly not the fitting 内情 or maybe it is? : D

Honestly tho Mephi, don't you have any vn's you are curious about? Just browse vndb or something. High quality stuff recommends, Muramasa, Ruitomo, Subahibi (imo), Dies Irae.

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up starting to read Subahibi, and since Rose was the first one to suggest that I guess you win. 

This game is something else though what the hell. Sometimes it gets really hard to understand despite it being really easy to read most of the time. 

I ended up starting to read Subahibi, and since Rose was the first one to suggest that I guess you win. 

This game is something else though what the hell. Sometimes it gets really hard to understand despite it being really easy to read most of the time. 

Let's face it, Clover Day's was the best thing that ever happened to you in the form of a VN