About buying light novels

Avil

Quite a number of light novels have been recently licensed so I'm thinking about legally purchasing them, but I worry about censorship and the quality of the translation (editor notes,if the original jokes have been destroyed or not etc...).

Please tell me if you have purchased some and where to order LN online.

I haven't read anything about LNs being censored for their US release at all. I think any novel with explicit content just would get a 'parental advisory' sticker.

Yen Press' release of Sword Art Online is missing chapter 16.5 (the famous glopping chapter) though, because it's marketed to young teenagers.

The Slayers novels released by Tokyopop years ago had some rape references censored, but good luck even getting your hands on some of those. 

I don't read all that many light novels, but when I do, I just get them from Amazon. Whenever possible I buy the Kindle version (I happen to have a Kindle and use it a great deal, but there's a Kindle app for every device imaginable as well). I actually decided to start reading the second "Is It Wrong To Try To Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon" light novel earlier today, which just got released in the last week or two, and my copy of Spice & Wolf volume 14 arrived from Amazon about a week ago (sadly, this series is not available digitally...).

There aren't a huge number of light novels available this way, admittedly, but if what you want to read is available legally, I tend to believe it's in your best interest to find a way to pay for it. Supporting artists, voting with your wallet, and so forth: I actually believe in that. In the end, I think Amazon makes things easy enough that it's at least as convenient as pirating the content, which is really all you can ask for.