[Anime/Manga] Aku No Hana

InvertMouse

We discussed about it a bit in the spring season topic.

Ryoji liked the art because it reminded him his good ol' 70s anime.

I'm not sure about the art cuz I didn't read the manga, probably going to see both, but I'm definitely curious about where the currently non-existing story will go to.

I've read some people that think the art fits the spirit of the story. I've read others saying it ruined the manga.

The whole of MAL hates it. /a/ makes a buzz about it because it's /a/.

Well, as you see, I don't know if it'll be a commercial success but it did success in making people talk about it =p

I mean I get when people say the art fits the spirit, it makes sense but I personally just can't watch it, All i will do is compare it to the manga which had some pretty decent art. But even if I tolerated the Rotoscoping it just was not done well, I mean characters don't have faces half the time! sigh... it really is a shame :(

I think the face thing might be intentional actually. I thought that it was rather neat anyway. I mean you don't really 'see' the faces of people who are far away anyway an as they come closer you notice more and more of their features.

That makes sense I guess, I'll give the 2nd episode a shot once it come out just to see how well they adapt the story.

I hope it won't be a commercial success, because if it does, we will see new animes with those kind of art again

Haha, don't worry. People judge so much on the art nowadays, this can't be successful no matter how good the story could turn out to be. I can't see rotoscoping becoming successful anyway.

I just had to respond to this topic. I have the flu so ill keep it short,

I LOVE the art for this anime. I find it very amusing everyone is freaking out. Ive read a lot of the different anime forums, and the general consensus is hate.

I like the anime art and the manga art actually. I think that the anime art adds another dimension and makes you look at things from another perspective. The manga and anime complete each other in some regard I think.

really make my old heart happy to know someone here gets it!!!

I think the face thing might be intentional actually. I thought that it was rather neat anyway. I mean you don't really 'see' the faces of people who are far away anyway an as they come closer you notice more and more of their features.

+1000000

NOW that being said, the story.... if this anime fails it should be because of the totally lacking story. Ill keep watching but I am not impressed with the premise so we will just have to wait and see.

Thanks for the replies people. You've all raised some good points.

Well, I grew up watching Candy Candy, Minky Momo, etc, and I have to say I think those looked better than Aku No Hana. You're my friend Ryoji B)!

The point about the manga and anime styles completing each other is interesting. Overall, I'm unable to watch this further because of the story. I do have to admit though that appearance does matter. That's just how it is. The story would have had to be amazing for me to continue. That's cool, though. Everyone's different :).

NOW that being said, the story.... if this anime fails it should be because of the totally lacking story. Ill keep watching but I am not impressed with the premise so we will just have to wait and see.

Personally I find the story of Aku no Hana to be captivating the characters are so interesting that when I first started reading it I lost track of time and just kept reading, very few stories have captivated me the way Aku no Hana has. As long as the anime sticks to the plot of the manga you will not find the story lacking in any respect. Now the story may turn you off if you cant stomach certain things...

Blackmail, Extreme Verbal Bullying, Physical Bullying, Psychological Torment, Rape, etc...

If you can, then strap yourself in for an interesting ride :D/>

Personally I find the story of Aku no Hana to be captivating the characters are so interesting that when I first started reading it I lost track of time and just kept reading, very few stories have captivated me the way Aku no Hana has. As long as the anime sticks to the plot of the manga you will not find the story lacking in any respect. Now the story may turn you off if you cant stomach certain things...

Blackmail, Extreme Verbal Bullying, Physical Bullying, Psychological Torment, Rape, etc...

If you can, then strap yourself in for an interesting ride :D/>/>/>

yeah, looking at the spoiler... yeah no.. ill pass.

There are better anime this season. Several actually. Ill probably drop this one if it doesn't spark my interest (which it definitely has NOT so far.)

• 2 weeks later...

Do you guys think part of the reason so many people dislike the ART of this show (separating it from the story, which isn't awesome so far) is because it bridges animation and real life, and that many anime-lovers go to anime for escapism? I keep thinking that.

Any thoughts?

Do you guys think part of the reason so many people dislike the ART of this show (separating it from the story, which isn't awesome so far) is because it bridges animation and real life, and that many anime-lovers go to anime for escapism? I keep thinking that.

Any thoughts?

Maybe it's just that we're not use to that look, but for me, I'm just disliking it because, well, it doesn't look very good~ Your point probably applies to a lot of us, though. I just reckon if you're going to go for that blend, why not just do live action~

I think its just ugly, especially compared to stunning visuals of late years. Even some titles from 80s are much better than Aku no hana. I cannot feel empathy for any characters there because of the art, its just too repulsing.

There was great thread on MAL with alternate versions of art for it. Moe Nakamura is much more awesome, and would get loved like Yuno if had that style.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so in love with the manga and anime.

I wish they would make an Aku no Hana visual novel.

Omg. I so agree with that. I thought it was originally based on a visual novel at first. I really like it :). I hope the anime will keep on going like it does. I haven't read the manga yet.

Just realized there was already a topic about this.

Anyway, I do plan to watch this some day because it definitely seems interesting. But I didn't feel like adding it to my season backlog, so I'm not following it weekly...

(I don't really know how you'd make a visual novel out of this though, but that's just based on the first two episodes...)

• 2 months later...

I finished watching Aku no Hana around last week, and frankly speaking yes the animation is horrible and it didn't get better even until the very end. Nevertheless I watched it for the story, and that's what keeping me from dropping this series. I don't read the manga and don't give a damn about it. The story pace is quite slow (sometimes slow, like an animation of Kasuga and Nakamura walking in silent for 8 minutes ugh), but the story's delivered pretty nicely. The final episode gave a lot of questions though, maybe they're planning on a 2nd season? (I don't think that'll happen with that selling tho pffffft unless they're planning to do a more horrible rotoscoping than this)