Worst routes you've ever read in a VN and why

starlessn1ght

I get that Steins;Gate's format is a little different, but that still doesn't make Suzuha's ending any less lackluster.

I'm sorry but it was the ending where I just didn't care for the most, there was nothing interesting in it.

At least in the other endings something happened between Okabe and the girl.

In Feiris' ending, despite everything being completely unrelated, you got some meaningful development with Feiris as a character, so you actually feel like you got some enjoyment out of it.

In Ruka's ending, same thing, you work your differences with Ruka and live happily ever after.

But with Suzuha's ending it was so vague and uninteresting. You just sort of walk into the sunset and that's it, the rest is up to your imagination.

Sorry but even if it's just a branching path, it could have been interesting.

Sorry but even if it's just a branching path, it could have been interesting.

How?I would have been fine if you stated that the end simply didn't interest you as much as the other endings, but you said "could have been more interesting", meaning you have some ideas on how it could have been better. Please, share them I'm curious.

How?I would have been fine if you stated that the end simply didn't interest you as much as the other endings, but you said "could have been more interesting", meaning you have some ideas on how it could have been better. Please, share them I'm curious.

Any form of epilogue wouldn't hurt, something that shows what happened after, regardless of what it is. I'm not the writer so I don't have event ideas off the top of my head, that still doesn't make my opinion invalid. I'm simply complaining that the ending was really vague and that the way events unfolded was really meh, and that made it uninteresting for me, do I have to think a vague ending is the only possible solution?

And no, spin-off games don't count in my book.

I'm sorry, but Suzuha really didn't have any interesting character development in the main game in my opinion and I was really sad because I wanted to have some meaningful moments with her, but I didn't. I still love Steins;Gate, but that doesn't mean I have to like everything about it.

Off the top of my head:

1) Lyui/Yuri's route in Before Dawn Daybreak: If I'm going to be a bad guy I do not want to be a stupid one and I don't want to be another bad guy's flunky for 99%  of the story.

2) Yuika's route in Harukoi Otome: Both Akihito and Yuika are unlikable and somehow have less chemistry than Anakin and Padme in the Star Wars prequels, the love triangle bit was stupid and out of nowhere and Akihito's self pity monologues are some of the most painful drivel I've ever had to read.

3) Mayuki's route in Guilty the Sin: Does absolutely nothing with the heroine of the route and both my middle fingers up to unavoidable NTR.

4) Makoto's POV story in Desire: A completely unnecessary story and an eye roll inducing pair up of the story's heroine and the most unlikable character in the game.

More or less every route in Canvas 2. There was one or maybe it was two that didn't suck so bad but fuck that game.

Makinas route in Grisaia no Kajitsu maybe, did not finish that one, boring.

I would like to say Chinamis route in Hoshizora no Memoria but I didn't read much of it because fuck Chinami.

Harukoi Otome, all the routes. Well Ayaka and Yuika are decent. Maybe.

Kanon, Ayu at least felt really stupid, but then the rest of the game was not really much to put on the pedestal.

Chisatos route in Koichoco, while it wasn't the shittiest of the shitty there were many stupid moments and the ending takes the price.

Aekas route in Yume Miru Kusuri was also quite stupid.

And overall, all the little sister routes in every fucking visual novel.

Any form of epilogue wouldn't hurt, something that shows what happened after, regardless of what it is. I'm not the writer so I don't have event ideas off the top of my head, that still doesn't make my opinion invalid. I'm simply complaining that the ending was really vague and that the way events unfolded was really meh, and that made it uninteresting for me, do I have to think a vague ending is the only possible solution?

And no, spin-off games don't count in my book.

I'm sorry, but Suzuha really didn't have any interesting character development in the main game in my opinion and I was really sad because I wanted to have some meaningful moments with her, but I didn't. I still love Steins;Gate, but that doesn't mean I have to like everything about it.

I can think of a few,

-after the end it cuts back to the new time-line with Braun about to order the Rounders to capture/kill a group of college students that obtained a IBN 5100 (maybe Daru/Kurisu are involved) and silently praying to the deceased Suzuha/Okabe couple, that helped him in the past to forgive him for his current sins.

-Perhaps it cuts to several years after they traveled back in time, being a typical, abit amnesiac couple having forgotten all about their mission.

-Or the presence of Okabe somehow alerts SERN (perhaps Braun reports him) and they capture him and Suzu. They than force him to work in their time machine program and he becomes the new Kurisu for SERN in this time line. 

Or, writer Naotaka Hayashi could appologize for the ambigous ending (the writer for inception or total recall never had to do that) and straight up tell fans that the pair succeeds in defeating SERN. <_< 

Hisakaki Komomo's route from Hoshizora no Memoria

She is a tsundere, i can bear tsunderes but i dont like them.

She was on another level, to enjoy her route you must be a complete masochist, what i felt was pain, yeah you read that right, PAIN

i played half of it and then just skipped it to get to Kosame's route and the true route.

I dont regret that choice.

I really can't decide between Ayaya's and Benio's from Comyu.

I was really disappointed when I realized that Ayaya's route was only fanservice, basically. I was really hyped for her...

Benio, well... her route at least tried. But I couldn't quite stand her, and I found the ending LAME. Incoclusiveness at its best.

At least it had a yuri scene in it.

Also the fact that she kisses Akihito at the end of her route but nobody really gives a shit afterwards makes me puzzled

am i the only one who liked bin laden and her route? was it silly, yeah sure, is she annoying sometimes, yes, despite that

she waited with his kid for what, 8 years? and stayed faithful to him even after all he said, plus i like long hair <ffs kyou if i said i like long hair i meant it,take a lesson> her determination is moving and i kinda like her and found that she is overall a lovable highly intelligent loli

am i the only one who liked bin laden and her route? was it silly, yeah sure, is she annoying sometimes, yes, despite that

she waited with his kid for what, 8 years? and stayed faithful to him even after all he said, plus i like long hair her determination is moving and i kinda like her and found that she is overall a lovable highly intelligent loli

as for the route itself i dunno bout you guys but it really got my heart racing a couple times, if you wanna talk lame disappointment what about shiratory? boooooooring route and what about tsubaki? didn't do her route but ffs

she beat the crap outta her little brother, what the hell

just my 2 cents on the matter ^^

Agreed. I really liked the fifth chapter of Gsen, and I find the first half of Mizuha's route idiotic. It gets better though. Not with you on the Tsubaki thing tho, it deeply touched me.

And it's just me or you just called Haru a loli? O_o

if psp games count

Oreimo Tsusuku  disk 1

Kirino's route was the fucking worst, i mean i dont care if that wasn't the "true ending".If  it's there and it's proper sized it counts as a route   ,

The game as a route for her and involves on the most cliché development of all times, adding to my displease for the character and we get me cringing for the entire route. Which it's not even worth it to get THOSE endings (talking about the ends for her normal route) .

Liselsia in Symphonic Rain. I was looking forward to her route so much, I immediately did it first of all. She was the cutest character (aside from Phorni) and she was voiced by my absolute favorite voice actress (Orikasa Fumiko). Unfortunately her route also happens to be the worst in the game because the main  character, who is admittedly an idiot all the time, is a super extra special idiot in this route and decides it's a good idea to allow Lise to return to a place where nothing but bad things happen. 'Gee I wonder if a bad thing will happen again this time?' YES CHRIS! YES IT WILL! A VERY BAD THING! YOU MORON!

Eustia's route in Aiyoku no Eustia is also crap because Caim, shown throughout the rest of the game to be a strong-willed and independent character, suddenly becomes another character's puppet and spends the entire chapter moping and self-loathing because of a choice that was the only choice he could have possibly made. It is literally 'do thing A or a very bad thing will happen' and he sits around whining about how he shouldn't have done thing A because... reasons? Every other character in the story (except Eustia herself of course) is shown at their brightest during this chapter, each working in their own way to resolve the issues threatening them all, and among it all Caim just kind of wanders around. His usually witty conversations now come across as petty and spiteful as he throws sarcasm at people who are actually trying to make a difference, as opposed to him. It just made me sick reading it, and I ended up skipping through a large chunk of it because it was getting to painful and boring to read. All so you can end up with Eustia who is a puppy-dog Marry Sue that would have been better as a loli little sister character with no dedicated route.

Eustia's route hit a nerve because it reminded me of Final Fantasy 13. (Spoilers for both Eustia and FF13)

'Hey let's make a decision that should, based on everything we know, kill us all. Oh hey we were saved by miraculous plot convenience! Our choice was correct!' No! Your choice was not correct! The writers MADE your choice correct, but in-universe you would have to be suicidal idiots to think that it would have resulted in anything but everyone dying and it being your fault!

if psp games count

Oreimo Tsusuku  disk 1

Kirino's route was the fucking worst, i mean i dont care if that wasn't the "true ending".If  it's there and it's proper sized it counts as a route   ,

The game as a route for her and involves on the most cliché development of all times, adding to my displease for the character and we get me cringing for the entire route. Which it's not even worth it to get THOSE endings (talking about the ends for her normal route) .

Well, if you don't like the character, nothing one can do. As for me, she's my favourite character, and while the plot twist was cheap and served as a bulltet dodger, I am still anxiously awaiting Disc 2's translation since while it's not the best ending we could have, it's the one we got and might as well enjoy that one... Still better than the anime ending, though that's not too hard to surpass...

Yumiko´s route in Grisaia no Kajitsu - First of all she was my least favourite character from the very start so having her in the focus made it already hard to read. Another problem was the artwork. Grisaia is usually full of beautiful CGs but they totally screwed up some in her route (for example out of the place comic style, Yuuji with a body like a huge bodybuilder in the h-scenes...) Also her route may have a similar story as Makina´s but did a far worse job in delivering it (no further informations about Yuuji´s mindset, boring ending, even more boring bad ending).

And her completely dubious dere side. Geez, that was actually the most annoying thing about her...

it also had some similarities with michiru's route with her trust issues and all.

the whole route  just feels so freakin' repetitive. :amane: