Steam Restricting Accounts That Haven't Spent At Least 5 Dollars

Nosebleed

In an attempt to stop all the spamming and phishing Valve has decided that users who have not spent at Least 5 dollars on their Steam account, either from buying games or adding credit to their Steam Wallet, will not have access to pretty much all of Steam's features.

The list of things you can't do include:

Sending friend invites

Opening group chat

Voting on Greenlight, Steam Reviews and Workshop items

Participating in the Steam Market

Posting frequently in the Steam Discussions

Gaining Steam Profile Levels (Locked to level 0) and Trading Cards

Submitting content on the Steam Workshop

Posting in an item's Steam Workshop Discussions

Accessing the Steam Web API

Using browser and mobile chat

Now I'm sure this doesn't affect most people, but i just thought i'd post it anyway in case someone uses Steam for anything besides buying games.

Source: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3330-IAGK-7663#

I wonder if that accounts in all those Humble Bundle accounts that buy indirectly from Steam but get codes instead? Well, either way, I'm sure if they have some game of any worth in their Steam library it means that they've spent money, so I'm sure they won't get restricted. Either way, why else would you get Steam if you weren't planning on buying any games? So... pretty much you have to pay 5 bucks to Steam to use all their features now. Why don't they just say that... and those that have already paid the 5 bucks through purchases or whatever are off the leash, lol.

We have a tradition in arab countries which is to pirate any pc game and never to pay any penny unless it is league of legends or crossfire..... Now I have to break it. I am sorry, my brethren.

Old restrictions were that u should download at least one game , right?

Who besides spammers would be actively trying to use a DRM's features/forums without having actually bought anything with it? All the limitations listed there are reasonable, and the only way it might limit people who just installed steam for games like DOTA is that they would no longer be able to send friend invites, which isn't that big of a deal when you are playing a game without actually supporting it. 

We have a tradition in arab countries which is to pirate any pc game and never to pay any penny unless it is league of legends or crossfire..... Now I have to break it. I am sorry, my brethren.

Old restrictions were that u should download at least one game , right?

Your are no longer one of us. I hereby denounce your nationality and sentence you to the moon, in the name of all Arabs. 

... Unless you bought something worth it, that is. If it's Sakur Spirit, you're going to Mars  :sachi: 

And here I was going to buy sakura spirit ;-; 

I guess Imma just put dem 5 dollars in my steam wallet for now ... and see when there's a worthy game on sale or smth

Huh? I thought it's been like that for a long time. At least, most of my friends who only plays Dota 2 cannot send friend invites for a long time now, I think.

Doesn't seem to affect me though, and I'm sure I haven't bought any game on Steam. 

But there is still the unsolved problem of phishing bots. A friend of mine had money on his account and he was phished by another account, (a friend of his) and then his account started phishing. The 5 dollar rule isnt gonna work that well in my opinion.