Our Healing Hearts (Purple Panda)

demonicbagel

Development of the project of this thread has started. We are the team called Purple Panda. And our project is an OELVN called "Our Healing Hearts". It will be Kinetic-Choice, in that the story of the canon heroine, Anastasia, will be kinetic. Players will be unable to pick choices to alter who the Player character ends up with. However, choices that change how certain things play out, and how Chase develops as a person (excluding most moral traits) will be available. Players will be able to choices from certain hobbies and interests, to whether or not he is nervous about a presentation.

We have plans to add more playable routes which will be unlocked upon completion of Anastasia's route. These will include Chase's childhood friend, Lilli, and his manager at work, Amy. Potentially, two more routes will be made by pledgers from Kickstarter. However, assuming that one or both offered slots for this chance are not taken, I will develop two more characters myself.

It is a slow going process right now, but we have been actively communicating and working to bring this story to life. Personally, I have been struggling with writer's block, but was able to overcome this for a decent while to write most of the opening sequences. We perceive that development will take several months, but we strive to bring high quality workmanship to you all.

Currently, there is very little completed. However, I am confident that this will change quickly. We will be utilizing two different art styles. One for the character sprites (done by Aviala), and one for the CGs (done by deeyosa).

Here is an almost complete sprite of the canon heroine: Anastasia.

16b41f6f-ef66-49e3-8310-86e8e2ac062d_zps

As I said, sprites are being done by Aviala. We have no CG work as of yet, but deeyosa and I have the concept in the works.

Below is a very basic draft of the plot and most of the more important characters.

Our Healing Hearts

Basic Plot

One day, Chase Adam walks home from his part time job at the Movie theater, and crosses the local hospital. There, he is smashed into by Anastasia Wells when she is not paying to where she is going in her wheelchair while playing with her fellow patients. When he gets home, Chase can't stop thinking about the pretty girl he met, and he decides to visit her the next day after work and class. This time, she is in her bed, and she welcomes him warmly, though she is somewhat worried that he will berate her for running into him this time. Chase starts visiting her regularly, and taking her places with the permission of her doctor. As time goes on, all sorts of heartwarming, dramatic, and crazy things happen, and their relationship blossoms, and eventually, romantic feelings are formed. Eventually, the two decide to become a couple. After this goes on for a while, Chase decides to propose to Ana, having decided that she is the girl he wants to be with forever. However, after he gets the ring, he gets an urgent call from the hospital that tells him that Ana's health is failing. He visits her, and succeeds in proposing to her. Ana accepts, and shortly after, passes away with happy tears and a smile on her face. Chase stays with her through the night.

Unbeknownst to Ana, the old man she had helped was her doctor (she had forgotten all about him by now). Late that night, the doctor comes in to Ana's room, and sees Chase (who is asleep) still holding her cold hands. The Doctor reveals himself to be the old man that Ana had helped. Without waking up Chase, the doctor says “In return for your sincere kindness all those years ago, I grant your wish, Little Lady.” A flash of light springs forth, and the doctor disappears. Chase, who was awoken by the light, rubs his eyes sleepily, wiping dried tears away. It is during this time that he feels a soft hand grace his cheek as a quiet voice speaks his name. He looks up, heart pounding, to see Ana sitting up, smiling at him, alive and well.

The “last” episode includes the couple's wedding, and the Epilogue takes place five years later. This shows Chase and Ana's life together. Chase has become a producer like he always wanted (albeit one that hasn't been in charge of his own movie yet, but is well on his way) and Ana has opened her own cafe. The two have a 5 year old daughter, who is seen running around, and stops to hug her parents as they walk together down a path in the park.

Characters

Male Protagonist: Chase Adams – Chase is a twenty-three year old college student majoring in Filmmaking. His dream is to become a producer of movies that will entertain and bring together all who watch them. He has short black hair that is generally messy, blue eyes, and Caucasian skin.

When he was still in highschool, Chase played baseball as part of his school's team. However, falling out of a tall tree when his sister's cat got stuck, Chase injured his leg and can't play baseball regularly anymore. He is capable of jogging and such, but full on sprinting is a no. This plays no effect on his desire for Filmmaking. He had already decided before the injury. He still plays with his friends who are in the College Baseball Team in present days, but he never runs, and only hits the ball, favoring his injured leg.

Personality wise, Chase is passionate in his interests, and does his best to overcome his weaknesses. He does whatever he sets his mind to it, but he only truly succeeds if he gives it his all. Half-heartedness does him no favors. When he's not into something, he usually fails unless given an incentive, at which point, he excels beyond belief. His problem is motivation and inspiration. He has a little sister named Emily, and he cares about her like any older brother would. Of course, he often gets annoyed by her shenanigans.

Female Protagonist: Anastasia “Ana” Wells – Anastasia is twenty-two years old. She has been diagnosed with Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis , and is unable to move her legs. However, despite this, Ana remains energetic and optimistic, and a smile is always on her face. Ana has green eyes, light skin, and long, dark brown hair that goes down to her waist in the back, and curls around her neck and shoulders in the front. When outside, she likes to wear lightly colored dresses, and a Summer Hat. When she is playing with her friends in the hospital, she's often zooming around in her wheelchair, a hand on her hat to keep it on her head.

Ana's parents died when she was two years old. She only has an old family photo from right before the accdient to remember them by.

When she was younger, Ana helped an old man when she was walking home from the park with her mother (who was actually her Aunt). The old man thanks her and asks her “What is your one big wish, Little Lady?” To this, Ana innocently replied, “I want to be like Mommy!”

Ana has a spunky personality. She is energetic and optimistic, never down for long, and occasionally goes from sad to happy in a split second, catching those around her off guard. She is very protective towards the younger patients in the hospital, and they call her “Big Sis” even though they're not blood related. Interest-wise, Ana enjoys cooking and baking, as well as art crafts. Eventually, she wants to own a small cafe that is decorated with things she made herself.

(Legend: MP = Male Protagonist/FP= Female Protagonist)

MP's Little Sister: Ella Adams – Ella is seventeen years old and a junior in high school. She has long dirty blonde hair that she usually wears in a bushy ponytail. She adores her older brother, but loves to play pranks on him and make him the subject of many misunderstandings. She has something of a two-sided personality because she is the Student Body Vice President at her school and, as a result, acts very serious and strict when on the school grounds or whenever someone from her school is around. Eventually, she gets found out by a fellow student, and struggles to come to turns that no one minds if she acts how she really is. It takes some time, but she ends up becoming comfortable with this, and has more fun at school because of not having to pretend she's “proper and boring” anymore.

Once she learns who Anastasia is, she often pressures Chase into “going for it” in terms of romance. She really wants to see her brother succeed in romance, although she often makes fun of him for it.

MP's Mother: Teresa Adams – Teresa is forty-three years old, but looks like she's half her age. She jokes that her looks are thanks to her family and joyful personality. She has shoulder length black hair with occasional streaks of gray that don't really make her look aged. Like any mother, Teresa is happy when she sees that her children are happy. She loves to tease Chase about his romantic endeavors, often jokingly pressuring him to get a move on finding a girl to “give mama grand kids!” Teresa works as a real estate agent and set Chase up with his apartment, saying that he could live there with minimal rent if he helped keep it in good condition.

Teresa is pretty care-free, and while she does worry about Ella and Chase, she is well aware that they're old enough to make their own choices and supports them in anything they want to do.

MP's Father: James “JimJim” Adams – James is forty-four years old, and has substantially more gray in his short dirty blond hair than his wife, Teresa does. James is a Robotics Technician, helping companies modernize their technology. He likes to watch baseball and was very depressed when Chase got into the accident that prevented him from playing the sport anymore. However, James got over it, and decided to assist Chase in the Filmmaking field, often giving strange advice that causes Chase to question his reasoning for asking his father for advice on a regular basis.

Gruff, yet good-hearted, James has a hard time showing his true feelings, often pulling a very manly “Tsundere” behavior. He shows his love to his family through actions, rather than words.

FP's AuntJulia Fields – Anastasia's aunt and legal guardian since Ana's parents are both deceased after a car accident when Ana was very young. Ana considers Julia her mother because she doesn't remember her real parents, though she loves them very much.

Julia has curly shoulder-length dark read hair, and is a fairly rich woman, although her lifestyle doesn't show it. She owns a landscaping company that is in high demand amongst wealthy clients. However, she is quite humble with her wealth, and didn't squander it on a mansion or wait-staff. After meeting Chase for the first time, Julia was very hesitant and distrustful of his intentions, going as far as to threaten him with a scary look and tone in her eyes and voice. However, seeing how happy Chase's visits make Anastasia, Julia warms up to him. Julia is quite flirtatious and often teases Chase (some time after he starts visiting Ana in the hospital) in strange ways. For example, she likes to say that she'll steal him from Ana so he can keep her [Julia] company instead.

MP's Best Friend: Lilli Jayce – Lilli is twenty-three years old, and only two weeks younger than Chase. Chase's family was always neighbor to Lilli and her family as the two grew up. They became quick friends in their earliest years, and grew up as if they were siblings, almost never being apart from one another. Lilli has violet eyes and shiny silver hair that goes halfway down her back. Lilli generally wears her hair in a thick braid, and decorates it with a different flower every day.

Lilli has Aspergers Syndrome. As a result, she is very shy around people other than Chase, his family, and her family. She is also a bit of a savant when it comes to painting. Her paintings are quite popular, but, due to her shyness, no one knows who the artist behind the pictures are, as Lilli uses a “Pen Name” and never shows up personally in her gallery showings. Whilst Lilli didn't think she had any romantic feelings for Chase as they grew up, she comes to realize that she loves him as more than a friend/brother figure once she starts thinking that Anastasia will steal him away from her [Lilli]. Of course, this doesn't come about until Chase and Anastasia develop feelings for each other and make them known.

------------------------------------

No the usual advice is to not have it Japanified, who the hell gave you this bullshit

Anyway, if you really want to persuade people, start writing less of an outline and more actual text. You could make a demo VN first chapter or something with no images or anything if you want (this is how Tonokawa got into Key by the way).

Edited by demonicbagel

How would i go about making a demo? I've no skill in programming or anything. Would I use Ren'py, learn it, and then put in the first chapter without scene backgrounds?

I just wrote up a draft of the script of "Chapter 0" (the part of the story before the Opening Cinematic Movie and Theme) It's probably not perfect yet, but it's more than I had before.

maybe find someone to help you with it a programer and an artist should be enough

just suggesting though

a demo is critical if you want some help. i knew this one guy with a very interesting concept for a vn but he was secretive about it. if you wanted to know more you had to send him a pm and he gave you the details that way. this turned people off the project quickly and he ended up never talking about it and never came back on fuwa again. well maybe he did, just used a different account. anyways, what im saying is what everyone else is saying. provide a demo. even if it doesnt have backgrounds or sprites, its something that could garner interest. execution is different from just explaining what you want. we want to see you build your world through dialogues and setups, with character interactions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hihntx3tiv0fbet/OurHealingHeartsDemo-1.0-win.zip?dl=0

Here's the link to the VERY BASIC demo. It has no visuals or sounds. Things in parentheses are fillers, as well as things in hypens (the - symbol) Also, the content within is not set to be permanent. It is liable to change.

Also, it might feel like it goes fast, but that's because I haven't put in any pauses or anything yet.

Hi! I've downloaded your demo and will try it out as soon as I'm able. 

Diamonit does an excellent job explaining what goes into making a visual novel, and I highly suggest that you give it a read if you haven't yet:

/index.php?/topic/7981-so-you-want-to-create-a-visual-novel/">http://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/7981-so-you-want-to-create-a-visual-novel/

Good luck on your project! I'll be rooting for you!

Thanks for downloading it. Don't be too disappointed with it though xD like I said, it's very minimal for now. As more interest in it comes about, I will be putting in more details and stuff. Of course, I'm not really one for doing work that won't ever be used, so I'd prefer to wait to do most of the renpy stuff til I've assembled at least most of a team.

WHAT!?!?!?!? NO SPRITES, CG'S OR BACKGROUNDS!?!?!?!?!? ONE STAR!!!! :angry:

seriously though nice job. at least its something that people can look over and decide whether or not they should get involved. also have you thought about having another writer or two for at least input? not saying its crap or anything but another creative point of view could do wonders to a project while a single one could potentially ruin it. IE Star Wars prequels vs Star Wars originals.

Yeah. I'm wanting at least one other writer. I'm also thinking that, in order to provide more content to players who probably would want to see something come of the other characters in the game, I could include extra paths once the main one (The one between Chase and Ana) is completed. That's the main story I want to tell, but I'm sure that players would want to see Chase get with Lilli or Amy or some other character/s. Perhaps I'm too ambitious, but my main goal is to give people something to enjoy.

I'm interested in writing. What kind of qualifications are you looking for in your assistant writer?

Determination to accomplish something fantastic. Willingness to communicate regularly and bounce ideas off each other. Dedication to the work. Not saying you'd have to give me all your free time, but if we want to get anywhere, we'll need to put in a good amount of time writing things. A desire to have fun, but most importantly, to be my friend. Work is much more fun with friends.

My biggest project in writing right now is trying to come up with events and things that happen between the beginning and end of each path (First and foremost for now being Anastasia's) As I've said before, I think I might like to try and provide players with extra routes to explore once Anastasia's is done. Anastasia's route will have choices, but it won't affect the ultimate ending or who Chase gets with. It'll be different things that might change how events happen/what events happen leading up to it.

Alrighty. Well I'm going to post up a piece of writing of mine here on this site in a little while so after reading that if you think I'd be the sort of person you'd like to work with I'd love to pitch in. I've been meaning to write my own stuff for a really long time, but I just never seem to have motivation to write for myself. I think I'd be much better working with a project where I have a goal to write toward and I'm working together with someone toward it.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry if double posting isn't allowed, but I didn't want to make another entire thread for this update.

We've gotten a bit of work done. We have about "15 minutes" of script for a future demo, and a couple sprites and CGs in progress. We don't have a lot of traffic in our tumblr or twitter, but I hope that that will change soon.

I really want to bring a project to you guys that you'll enjoy C: My whole team does.

Seems things are making progress in this, yes?  Though I haven't really noticed the thread until now.

Do you have any examples?  As in, previous works by the writers so we know what to expect.  It can be a good measure for the audience of what to expect in terms of quality, and it lets us give feedback on the writing style itself, which can be good for knowing what to look to improve during current development.