Greetings and Salutations (And Cheese)

demonicbagel

Greetings, fellow lovers of Visual Novels:

I am Mike. Cheese is my drug. I am a college student majoring in linguistics. I ultimately plan, for a career, to be an International Translator and/or ESL (English as Second Language) teacher. As a multilinguist, my specialization is Far East Asian dialects, most prominently being Japanese, but I have learned a good bit of German, and am currently learning Spanish. While I am not very fluent in any of those languages, my goal is to teach English to Japanese students - be they in Japan, or exchange students in the States, or even online. While I may be perceived as a weaboo, I have actually taken steps to learn Japanese, both its language and culture. I have naught but respect for the Japanese people and their culture and language. As such, I can read, speak, and write Japanese, if not fluently. I don't know much in the way of Kanji, but I understand Hiragana and Katakana writing.

Anyway, I'm a writer, and I have been on the lookout for people to create a manga or visual novel with me, and I eventually came across this site, which looks quite active to me. I decided to join, if not for forming a team, then at least for perhaps making friends who are just as passionate about this stuff as I am, though having a way to make a visual novel or manga that I can share with people would be great, too.

My current idea is for a manga (which, with adequate ideas and thinking could be made into a visual novel.... maybe). It takes place somewhere in the states, but I want to try to make it as friendly to Japanese culture as possible for such a setting. The Male Protagonist is a college student named Chase who wants to become a Filmmaker. He used to play baseball, but an injury to his leg prevents his further participation. He had always had an interest in film, however, so it wasn't a big loss. One day while he is walking home from work at the popluar movie theater in town, he passes by the local hospital. There are patients who are well enough to be out and about playing outside. One of them is a young woman bound to a wheelchair. Her name is Anastasia, and she has Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS for short), and is thus in her legs. While playing, Anastasia is attempting to catch a thrown frizbee, and ultimately runs into Chase as she is not paying attention to where she is going. As Chase is smashed, he experiences the "Smiling Pain", where, even though he's hurting really bad, he's got a pained smile on his face, and he looks like he feels great. This painful meeting between the two leads to a great many things happening, both good and bad. Over time, the two become close. I have plans for a slight supernatural feel to the story, but I'm not entirely sure how to fit it in without it just seeming out of place.

I have a great love for romantic stories, and my favorite anime include Kobato, Searching for the Full Moon, Seto no Hanayome, and Clannad. My favorite Visual novels right now are Princess Evangile (Finished only one route so far, currently immersed in another) and If My Heart Had Wings (again only finished one route).

Anyway, I consider myself to be a nice person, so I hope I can get to know you guys and be friends.

Damn... Like... are you me? 'Cause you seem an awful lot like me. ;)

I am in University right now, planning on majoring in linguistics and, funny enough, I also want to be a translator. I am a writer as well, and well, I would have pointed you in the direction of the writing thread... but it seems you already made your way there! :nervous:

By the way, your story idea looks quite interesting. It also looks like there will be feels, which is definitely a win in my books~

Anyway, I'll just leave it at that before I go to overboard with welcoming you.

So welcome, welcome! Enjoy thy stay! ^_^

(You also like Clannad therefore I like you~)

Damn... Like... are you me? 'Cause you seem an awful lot like me. ;)

I am in University right now, planning on majoring in linguistics and, funny enough, I also want to be a translator. I am a writer as well, and well, I would have pointed you in the direction of the writing thread... but it seems you already made your way there! :nervous:

By the way, your story idea looks quite interesting. It also looks like there will be feels, which is definitely a win in my books~

Anyway, I'll just leave it at that before I go to overboard with welcoming you.

So welcome, welcome! Enjoy thy stay! ^_^

(You also like Clannad therefore I like you~)

Lol. Thanks. I really appreciate that you like my story idea. And I love the feels in stories, so I want to have plenty in my own work. 

And yes. Clannad is amazing. Also, I'm not sure how I'll get around to translation if I ever do. I can't find a way to learn Kanji for Japanese. That's pretty important learning to do, since I'll never understand most Japanese sentences if I can't read Kanji. Lol. It wasn't until I took my Japanese classes in my college that I felt a desire to teach English. My sensei, who is a very awesome Japanese native lady in her late 60's (unless she's turned 70 this year already), inspired me to want to teach. She did everything right. She made the class fun, but kept on us to learn the stuff, which was great.

Welcome to the forums. You seem to have a good control over the English language, at least at a glance. ^_^ Anyway, hope you like it here.

Well yeah. English is my native language xD

Welcome to the forums. (•̀ᴗ•́)و ̑̑ 

I suggest you make a vndb profile.. and play G-senjou if you haven't yet.

Is that a hentai VN? I'm not really keen on those dirty scenes. I feel they take away from the story, though I guess others think the opposite.

well, katawa shoujo is only character based, while The Devils G-string (No, seriously. thats its english name.) is a mix with both. one character hiding in the shadows, who is only known as "Maou" (Devil in japanese) and slowly destroying a certain persons world for unknown reasons, while a lone girl is on his tail, seeking justice and revenge.

Also its Hanako. i thought we could get along but with this mistake, it shall never be. :angry:

from wikipedia about Hataraku Maou Sama

"The Demon Lord and one of his generals, Alciel, escape Ente Isla through a portal to modern Tokyo, Japan after being confronted by the Hero Emilia Justina and her companions. However, due to the lack of magic in the modern contemporary world, both the Demon Lord and Alciel change into forms representing what they would look like if they were human. In order to survive, the Demon Lord takes a part-time job in a fast food restaurant named MgRonald while Alciel serves as his houseman. One day, the Demon Lord, who now goes by Sadao Maō, meets a girl who is actually the Hero Emilia, who now goes by Emi Yusa. The story then unfolds and explores the personalities of each of the characters and their moral values. More characters show up from Ente Isla and they too face the new world dilemmas, often comically."

from vndb about G-senjou no Maou

"You play the role of Azai Kyousuke, the son of a legendary gangster infamous in the underworld. You spend your time listening to Bach, playing God at school and covertly working for your stepfather, a ruthless financial heavyweight. This idyllic existence is broken when two individuals appear in the city - a beautiful girl named Usami Haru with hair you could get lost in for days, and a powerful international gangster known only as "Maou". Almost without delay, the two begin a deadly cat-and-mouse game, bringing you and your friends into the crossfire. Plotting, political intrigue and layer upon layer of interlocking traps are the weapons in this epic battle of wits."

ITS LIKE THEYRE TWINS!!!!!!!

im sorry. this is getting away from the topic.

Again, welcome to the forums.

Lol. I just don't want people thinking I don't take Japanese stuff seriously. I don't know if that's what they think of weeaboos, but I don't want to risk it xD

Well I don't give much of a F*** about labels like weeaboo and such. I even call myself a weeb because it's funny enough to joke about that. So don't take it too seriously :D.

On another note I also liked Ayaka(regarding your avatar), her and Chiho were best girls for me. If you feel like it I would advise that you use VNDB to keep track of VNs, it's very useful.