Fate/Stay Night - Problem with Fonts (SOLVED)

Are you running your computer with Non-Unicode Japanese? (link to instructions): Yes

Game: Fate/Stay Night

Description of Problem:

This is the screen (please see first screen capture below) that I see when I click on the "Modify" button of the Text window settings. As you can see, there are no selection under "Fonts" and when I try to change "Window style" and then click "OK", an error box that says "Information" but with no content displayed popped up (please see second screen capture below).

fontproblem1.png

fontproblem2.png

The reason I wanted to change fonts is because all the letters "g"s, "y"s and "p"s are slightly cut off at the bottom right now in text during game play.

I would be grateful if you can let me know how to fix this problem.

Your Operating System:

64 or 32 bit: not sure how to find out

What did you already try? Tried reinstalling, changing locale and installing east Asian pak

Did you download your game from Fuwanovel?: Yes

I remember going through a similar customization myself. If I were you, I'd start with making sure you have the proper fonts you're selecting actually installed on your computer, and checking the english patch's INIs and config files to make sure the customization options aren't there.

I'm not at home (where my version of FSN is installed), and am at the University until late on Mondays. I'll be happy to look into it tonight or, depending on the time/energy, tomorrow.

This is a common complaint, though, so I'd imagine a simple google search "Fate/Stay Night customize font" will help you out.

I remember going through a similar customization myself. If I were you, I'd start with making sure you have the proper fonts you're selecting actually installed on your computer, and checking the english patch's INIs and config files to make sure the customization options aren't there.

I'm not at home (where my version of FSN is installed), and am at the University until late on Mondays. I'll be happy to look into it tonight or, depending on the time/energy, tomorrow.

This is a common complaint, though, so I'd imagine a simple google search "Fate/Stay Night customize font" will help you out.

Thank you sooo much for replying but I am actually having difficulty understanding. I really suck at computer.

How do I know which official fonts the game runs in?

I am not sure what "the english patch's INIs and config files" are.

I did a google search but didn't find anything helpful. I will keep trying.

There is no rush, hope you can help me out when you have time. Thanks a lot!

I indeed did not find anything on mirrormoon's forum.

In your F/SN folder you should have file(s) finishing with the .ini extension. It could help if you could look what's in this file. If you don't know what to look for, post a screenshot here.

I checked yesterday and I have a bunch of fonts installed, but I'm not on my computer right now. I'll look into my own config files tonight.

One thing though: there should be a file named installog.txt or something like that.

Could you open it and check if the 'installed font' line is there? (should be in the first lines of the file)

I indeed did not find anything on mirrormoon's forum.

In your F/SN folder you should have file(s) finishing with the .ini extension. It could help if you could look what's in this file. If you don't know what to look for, post a screenshot here.

I checked yesterday and I have a bunch of fonts installed, but I'm not on my computer right now. I'll look into my own config files tonight.

One thing though: there should be a file named installog.txt or something like that.

Could you open it and check if the 'installed font' line is there? (should be in the first lines of the file)

Thank you so much for your time :)

I found this page that seems helpful. I thought maybe trying to run the game with Microsoft Applocale may fix the problem. Unfortunately, the link to download Microsoft Applocale is no longer there.

http://forums.mirrormoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=1220

Screenshot below is what I see in my F/SN folder:

fontproblem3.png

You shouldn't need to use japanese locale for F/SN (though some locales like Korean can't run it). At least it has always worked fine for me without it.

You're probably missing the font (monakrkr). I have extracted the font from the patch and uploaded it to mediafire since it doesn't seem to be available for download anywhere on the interwebs. Try to install it and see if it changes anything.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5wqefv2a54v03tj

Luch: You are right! I only changed "Regional Options" to Japan but I didn't change the part in "Advance". After I changed the "Language for non-Unicode programs" to Japanese and checked all the boxes, I arrived at this:

fontproblem4.png

Did I get it right? Is this what I should be seeing?

You shouldn't need to use japanese locale for F/SN (though some locales like Korean can't run it). At least it has always worked fine for me without it.

You're probably missing the font (monakrkr). I have extracted the font from the patch and uploaded it to mediafire since it doesn't seem to be available for download anywhere on the interwebs. Try to install it and see if it changes anything.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5wqefv2a54v03tj

Thanks!

I am going to try installing the font next without changing the locale to Japanese. I'll post my results here after.

That's exactly what you are supposed to see. Does it work now?

Man, we have to add something about the Japanese local on the sticky. Way too much people confusing it with language or whatnot.

I don't know, maybe a huge luminescent gif. (I might actually do that)

Still, you posted along the format given and were very polite so I can't complain =)

That's exactly what you are supposed to see. Does it work now?

Man, we have to add something about the Japanese local on the sticky. Way too much people confusing it with language or whatnot.

I don't know, maybe a huge luminescent gif. (I might actually do that)

Still, you posted along the format given and were very polite so I can't complain =)

Agreed. Had this with Sharin no Kuni yesterday (which I think you closed. Thanks!), too.

We've already got this in the "READ FIRST" post. Maybe adding Aaeru's images from the main site FAQ to that thread would help?

yeah I think a many assume that when they change their language/format to japanese they're changing locale when they aren't.

I just edited the "READ FIRST" post, added graphics, added a reply, but if you guys have better ideas than what's there, feel free to edit that post, delete the reply, etc. Whatever you think would be effective.