Is Deardrops any good?

TexasDice

*tagging Decay

As someone who loves Kira☆Kira, enjoys Edelweiss, but hates Curtain Call (all from the same company), would I enjoy Deardrops? What about the translation, is it on the new or old mangagamer level?

No spoilers please. If something similar to you know what in Kira☆Kira happens, let me walk into it.

Been a while since I've read Deardrops (been a while since I've read Kira Kira too for that matter) but they're somewhat similar, if you liked Kira Kira you'll probably like Deardrops. Only problem is that 2 of the 4 routes suck - avoid Rimu's and Yayoi's routes unless you want fanservice or just want to 100% it. I don't remember hating the translation, so it's probably fine, though once again it has been a while.

its translation level is good but if you´re expecting a kirakira2 you´ll be greatly dissappointed, cause only 2 out of 4 routes have what you call a real story, rest can be considered either fanservice, or troll route (with minor drama). overall i can say i liked the vn, but it was nothing outstanding like the other 2 titles you mentioned above (kirakira & edelweiss)

edit: music is quite cool though

And what about Kira Kira? I know that they're different, but I didn't like Swan Song very much. I can see, why people love Setoguchi, but the story there wasn't enjoyable as a piece of fiction, in my opinion. It's more on the level of a serious novel. Is Kira Kira any different from this point of view?

Deardrops doesn't compare to Kirakira, but on its own it is an OK read and leagues above that pile of shit Curtain Call.

Yes, I don't compare them like this :sachi:

I'm afraid of Kira Kira being as, um, serious as Swan Song. Relationships between characters and so on. I don't very like, when the author is trying to present everything way too realistic.

Realistic isn't the first word that comes to my mind when describing Swan Song or KiraKira. Kirakira's plot is centered around a dude crossdressing to take part in an all-girl rock band. All but one of the heroines routes is happy adventuring, but that one heroine's routes get a lot darker than you might expect.

I'm really only talking about the latter parts of Chie's and Kirari's route (I'd say Chie's counts too to be honest). Saying Kira Kira's plot centers around touring is not exactly accurate, the first part of Kira Kira does, then it forgets about music and goes all character route more or less.

As for realistic, it certanly isn't all moemoe happyhappy uncomplicated stuff which was prolly what he meant.

• 5 months later...

Deardrops is a mixed bag for me. I do like it, but it's not without it's fault. Mind you, i have really just started with it.

Protagonist started somewhat strong, but became pretty weak minded once other characters were introduced. Typical nonsense you see in the common routes. Main character must be more or less asexual, he must be stirred by every critique and take it as gods word (just a saying) regardless what it's about, must apologize and feel that he have wronged people who have been complete jackasses towards him for absolutely no reason, and worst was when he noticed his friend in the audience and became 190% useless. World class violinist my ass.

I need to congratulate the writers of making the absolute worst heroine the true route. Holy shit what a vile bitch. Initially i thought he must have broken some promise when he was last in town, but that doesn't add up. He would have either recognized her face or her name, but no. So the only conclusion must be that she's a fan, and crushed by whatever it was that made the protagonist screw up in Germany. And that does not excuse her behaveour. Looking forward to see how she makes up for the way she is behaving, but i'm afraid she'll just silently change as to avoid having a heroine going through critizism and hardships.

Edited by Stormwolf

I'm going to wager you'll see your opinion change by end of the route.

Common route or Riho's route route? And you mean my opinion of Riho or protag? 

I won't ever change my opinion on the protag, i think. 

The last bit of his raisin sized balls just up and left when he left the bus because he had to sleep besides a girl. Common routes are the absolute worst parts of reading vn's.

Edited by Stormwolf

About to finish the common route now, i guess. I'll admit she's better now that i understand her more. Protag is perhaps the absolute densest protagonist i've encountered in a vn yet. Holy shit what a worthless pile of shit. Absolutely no redeeming traits. He barely thinks for himself, others characters dictate how he thinks about everything, and he is completely oblivious to every damn advance by girls regardless how obvious it is. And his overly humble attitude makes me sick. I can't identify with him in the slightest.  While the plot is interesting and i look forward to how they progress as a band, the worthless protagonist most certainly drags it down.

best girl regrettably has a route thats even shorter than the piece of poop i produce when non eating for 3-4days... sad world we living in

I guess best girl is pretty subjective, but i like Kanade best to be honest. She's sweet and caring, as well as showing affection. Rimu is way too childish, and Yayoi is pretty annoying, Riho is way too stiff and i can't say that i give a crap about her at this point (i'm at the point where i made the last choice in the vn).

Well, just finished Kaede's route so i guess i have a bit more insight.

I'll admit the characters became somewhat better in a route, but i expected that. But holy shit what an insurmountable amount of drama that appeared during the route. Most of it felt really, really forced. Confession and sex scene were pathetic. He confessed in a not so traditional way, and had sex a few minutes later. Sex scene cg's were really dull and the only featured severely deformed vagina due to penetration (not playing for these scenes, but i like it when they're good anyway), and Kanade wasn't even a virgin, which really surprised me based on what type of person she is. Tag on vndb must be wrong. The route ending was pretty damn weak as well. They didn't want to play together for who the heck knows what reason, and just hoped they weren't separated even though they were in love. 

Edited by Stormwolf