[Poll]Fuwa Blogs

How2Blog  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the forum blogs?

• Yes - often
    • Yes - occasionally
    • No - but I read others' blogs
    • No - we have blogs?
  2. 2. What do you think of the pinned blogs on SideBar ie. Recognition, Dev Updates, Project Recruit

• Positive! I like them!
    • Negative. I don't like them.
    • Neutral. Don't really care.

This poll is closed to new votes

I don't really feel that I ever have the need to express myself with the amount of words expected from a blog, and I don't really care enough about any of you to read one. Sorry.

What a thoughtful and constructive piece of information. I've been struggling to get any sleep, tossing and turning because I wasn't sure if atorq cared enough to read my blog. This brings closure to that quandary for me. Thank you.

In other words, maybe try to not sound like such a dick when posting a little feedback. A simple, "I don't really find anything interesting on the blog, so I don't use it" would have been a better way to get the same point across. 

What a thoughtful and constructive piece of information. I've been struggling to get any sleep, tossing and turning because I wasn't sure if atorq cared enough to read my blog. This brings closure to that quandary for me. Thank you.

In other words, maybe try to not sound like such a dick when posting a little feedback. A simple, "I don't really find anything interesting on the blog, so I don't use it" would have been a better way to get the same point across. 

That would however imply that I have actually taken a look. But my way with word is what it is, my words might be more vicious than my intentions. Born an asshole, always an asshole.

And that being said and done I don't necessarily think blogs are a bad idea, but generally speaking people are not very good at writing blogs that I find interesting.

Could we make the default view for the blog section "All Blogs" rather than "Dashboard"?  I fear the Dashboard might be scaring away new browsers because a single post (they're not interested in) could fill the page.  Also, the "Threads you should check out" posts, while useful, get in the way of discovery of the community blogs in the Dashboard view since they're pinned at the top.  These posts are already highlighted in the Famous in Fuwanovel widget; they don't need extra attention.

Might I also suggest replacing "Today's Birthdays" with recent posts from the community blogs?  That would drive traffic to the community blogs section from the forums.  And honestly...what purpose is the "Today's Birthdays" feature even serving?

Might I also suggest replacing "Today's Birthdays" with recent posts from the community blogs?  That would drive traffic to the community blogs section from the forums.  And honestly...what purpose is the "Today's Birthdays" feature even serving?

While I agree, that would essentially ruin an entire post farm old Fuwanovel traditions, and that's just too cruel, isn't it?

http://forums.fuwanovel.net/index.php?/topic/896-birthday-thread/

And I agree with your entire point, I might as well add. The Dashboard is quite the annoying huge wall that pops up in your face, I know that's what I thought when I first used the blog.

This is why I suggested posts have a limit max size and if you want to read more you'd have to actually click "show full entry" but this way the "show full entry" option is useless, not to mention the Dashboard and even just someone's blog is annoying to scroll through because it always shows full entries and some entries are loooooooong.

Yes! 100 times yes! Unfortunately IIRC Tay likes the birthday feature and doesn't want to remove it, but this is a fabulous idea.

You can add events onto the calendar yourself, but all the clutter and birthdays kind of turn me off.

1. Keep the Birthday feed
2. Nerf Fuwa Fabulous Feed by 2, add scroll feature to maintain 4 entries total
3. Buff Dev / Recruit Feed by 2 via adding scroll feature to maintain 4 entries total
4. Add Community Blog feed, again keep it to 2 with a scroll feature for 4 entries total.

Basically,

Current                                                                           New

t8Et3tA.pngTtXBHcO.jpg

B-b-b-but I like the birthdays ... 

*clears throat* Moving right along, I created a new block for the community blogs. I don't know how to make it scroll, however, so that's something we'll need to wait for Nay on (thus, for the meantime, I've limited it to 2 posts). I did, however, manage to use Nay's other work to figure out header formatting & I am very proud of myself.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Outrage?

Outrage, lots of outrage, for no particular reason other than outraging.

It's nice, definitely could use the scroll.

Now make blog post size limited so I can rest in peace

Cute :P

Looks like there's some overlapping that will need some tweaking (Community Blog & Recruiting share an entry atm)

That's because those are the 2 most recent entries on the dashboard :P

Cute :P

Looks like there's some overlapping that will need some tweaking (Community Blog & Recruiting share an entry atm)

Yeah, I wish we could exclude blogs from what it's pulling, but that would require a non-trivial amount of manual updating, and nobody wants to do that.

Now make blog post size limited so I can rest in peace

I know this is bugging a lot of people. As far as I'm aware, there are only two settings: show full posts, and show non-formatted snippets. I'll switch it over to snippets for a few days and you can see if you like it better.

I won't bias you with my own opinion, but the snippet view sucks. You're free to come to your own conclusions, but it's basically the worst thing ever. 

EDIT: It's done. 

... You have no one but yourselves to blame.

I get that it's not formatted in an ideal way, but I actually have no problem with the snippet view. Ummm... I dunno what to say, I was expecting something much worse. Something with code sprinkled everywhere and text all mashed together, with the square brackets and the typewriter font.

There's paragraphs, and the text looks nice in the snippets. You can read it ... 

I know I'm going to be in the minority here :P

The snippet view isn't half bad, but the way they're cut is kind of nonsensical.  There's 3 or 4 lines of empty space at the bottom of each snippet.  On top of that, lines trail off in the middle, which is just senseless.  Is there a way to fill all that empty space and somehow standardize the number of lines displayed for each post?  I see some posts cut off at 2 lines and others displaying in their entirety filling half the screen.  The cutoffs don't seem to have any rhyme or reason.