[Poll]Fuwa Blogs

How2Blog  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the forum blogs?

• Yes - often
    • Yes - occasionally
    • No - but I read others' blogs
    • No - we have blogs?
  2. 2. What do you think of the pinned blogs on SideBar ie. Recognition, Dev Updates, Project Recruit

• Positive! I like them!
    • Negative. I don't like them.
    • Neutral. Don't really care.

This poll is closed to new votes

Never used them, I mean if you have a forum why would you use a blog? A forum is much more robust than a blog.. I never understood why vbulletin, ipb or any other internet forum implemented this feature in the first place, it's somehow redundant...

They're good for formal and lengthy stuff. If this feature was available when I wrote my Mai and Sayuri Analysis I probably would have used it. Instead my only option then was to post it on the forums, and inevitably it is now buried in the archives of VN Talk. If it weren't for the fact that I link it in my signature, it would no doubt have been completely forgotten by now. Blogs are nice because you can easily find old content by looking at the published history of the blogger. Although, personally I don't need this feature as much anymore because Zaka gave me rights to publish my analytical articles on the Fuwazette! :D

that's because nobody use the blog, if they do you will end up having the same problem, a forum is a more robust tool than a blog, with a forum you can do all the things you do in a blog and much more but not viceversa

The forum has the advantage that it's not designed for only one person and to be able to do comments, the blogs are not designed for that, they are meant to be used only by 1 person and for example in a blog even if someone comments on a post/blog (again they are not designed for this, this was a feature added much later (and even some blogs still dont have it, that's why you need to use a separate account google+, disqus, and now twitter or facebook) it will still be at the end of the list because it doesn't follow a comment update system rather a system of "the newest blog will be always on top." So your post (if the users of fuwa give the blog a more intense usage)it would probably be even "more forgotten" than it is now, because If I comment on your post now I can bring it back to the top list and somebody will see it eventually.

The forum requires a ton more resource to run, because the queries to the db are more because of all the functions it has,  it needs to keep track of everything thus a more intense usage of the server, that's the only con I can see in a forum vs a blog.

If fuwa was just a blog they could probably host it in a cheaper server.

ps sorry for the really bad english xD but im really sleepy and it's hard to explain that kind of technical things :P

A blog is an easily accessible collection of a person's thoughts and analyses.

A forum is for discussion on relevant topics.

There is some crossover, a person can put their blog posts onto a forum for discussion, but the blog aspect is useful if you want to access a place where you can easily find all of a person's "work", so to speak.

For example, I'll be posting my thoughts on writing technique in my blog. That way, if anybody wants to read my thoughts on writing technique they can just go to my profile and click my blog link. It beats trawling through multiple threads on a forum and it's useful for me because I won't have to write the same thing out over and over again. If somebody wants to read Clephas' thoughts on the many VNs he's played, they can go to his profile and click on his blog. And so on.

So it serves a purpose.

Same thing applies to the forum, like I said before it will be easier to find a post because it's personal page, if you are the only one using the blog then by simple logic it will be easy to find something there but that takes away everything a forum is trying to achieve...which is a community.

Same thing applies to the forum, like I said before it will be easier to find a post because it's personal page, if you are the only one using the blog then by simple logic it will be easy to find something there but that takes away everything a forum is trying to achieve...which is a community.

It's the same exact thing, a blog inside a forum like this will die the same way a post would if the blogs were used constantly.

A blog inside a forum is pointless that's way it's barely used in any forum compared to the forum itself.

I'm not questioning the uses of a blog I'm saying that having a blog inside a forum is pointless, like I said in my first post "I never understood why vbulletin, ipb or any other internet forum implemented this feature in the first place, it's somehow redundant..."

I'm talking of the implementation of a blog inside the forum itself.

And I tell you that a blog system inside the forum of fuwanovel is the best thing it has had for a long time.

It benefits to those do or write interesting things.

Now you may think it is redundant, but having been here for a long enough time, I assure you that it is not and that it's an excellent addition for this forum in particular.

It's two different things, with two different usages, and two different audiences, so no it's not redundant.

Everybody isn't here to take part in the forums life.

It's the same exact thing, a blog inside a forum like this will die the same way a post would if the blogs were used constantly.

A blog inside a forum is pointless that's way it's barely used in any forum compared to the forum itself.

eBeE3Qt.png

I'm satisfied if I can achieve this level of "barely". 

I have a bad habit of only reading the blog posts of people I know/like

which basically comes down to just Zaka

:sachi:

</3

On topic though, I love the blog feature. I can spam my random thoughts as I spend every waking moment reading UnTL'd VNs... not that I have gone into blog spam mode yet... my 4 months off school are only just starting. :illya:

• 4 weeks later...

Could we have more choice in themes?  Specifically, I'm not a fan of how posts are currently displayed in their entirety.  I'd rather have blurbs (which you click through to see the whole post) so I could fit more posts on the screen.  Also, forcing people to click through allows me to better gauge which posts are actually getting views; right now only a small fraction of viewers will click the "view full post" button because all it does is give you a larger feature image and access to the comment section.

Could we have more choice in themes?  Specifically, I'm not a fan of how posts are currently displayed in their entirety.  I'd rather have blurbs (which you click through to see the whole post) so I could fit more posts on the screen.  Also, forcing people to click through allows me to better gauge which posts are actually getting views; right now only a small fraction of viewers will click the "view full post" button because all it does is give you a larger feature image and access to the comment section.

RE: Themes: I assume that you mean customizing the blog themes, themselves, and not opening up the other forums themes. The only forums themes which I don't have on there yet are the dark theme, and the (hidden) Fuwa 2015 theme.

RE: Changing to excerpts -- We've tried this before, and it doesn't look very good. If the people want to give it another go, I'd be fine flipping the switch temporarily, but last time the consensus was solidly against the excerpts.

Yes, I'm referring to customizing blog themes.  The option for excerpts would be incorporated as one of the blog themes to choose from.  Essentially, I want it to work like Fuwazette currently does.  In addition, if possible I'd like the excerpts to be customizable and not necessarily just a snippet from the post.  I know this is possible on Fuwazette.