Discussion: Save repository

Simple, functional, and pretty. That's been one of my internal mottos about site changes lately. One rather simple addition we could make to the site is adding 100% save games for various VNs. We'd have a section on each game page advertising the save download (with instructions of where to put it), and (possibly) a dedicated page listing all the saves we've got on-hand.

I'd need some help scouring the net and your hard drives to get the saves, but it's a low-effort, no-maintenance site addition I think could be good for us.

I thought I'd make a thread specifically about this proposition:

• Would you want this option on the site?
  • Do you think this would be helpful?
  • Any other thoughts?

(PS: Sorry that I haven't been super-visible lately. Dealing with some RL issues atm. I'll have a lot of time at the end of April/beginning of May to kick off another round of Fuwa improvements)

would be  a good idea.

Those request are evrywhere and having a backup to fall to incase your pc fucks up is great.

Slightly off topic, 

but would it be a good idea to make installation video's of hard to install games like the muv luv series?

just realized this is my 500 post here

Edited by havoc

Some games are compatible with japanese saves so we can use this site for those.

Sounds like a good idea, although you'll have to be careful with some games, I remember Zeno ran into some issues a little while ago when he moved his Cross Channel saves from one PC to another and the game didn't recognize them and wiped his progress.

C+C is known to be one of the most broken of our old prepatched torrents, that might be why.

would be  a good idea.

Those request are evrywhere and having a backup to fall to incase your pc fucks up is great.

Slightly off topic, 

but would it be a good idea to make installation video's of hard to install games like the muv luv series?

just realized this is my 500 post here

Happy 500th post! 

RE: Videos -- if people want to make a video for a game's save, Nay and I would be more than happy to link to it : P. Different versions of windows, for example, may have different installation directories, tho, so we'd probably include the link in the relevant part of the instructions.

No it shouldn't since you've already unlocked everything.

In general VNs have two types of save files: Regular save files that records a position in the story, these are in theory risk free to share but in many cases shouldn't be, and the global save files that records what text you've already read, what cg's you've unlocked, what routes you've cleared and unlocked etc. This file should never be shared unless it's 100% completed.

While sharing the regular save files should generally be risk fee it is often a bad idea because of the common presence of unlockable routes in VNs. For example if you load a save in UBW or HF in F/SN without having unlocked those routes and view a cg while playing the cg library will crash when you open it unless you unlock the routes normally. So in most cases it's just better to use the skip function if you need to get to a specific point to avoid issues.

• 1 month later...

Okay so based on what Beato said we should avoid checkpoint saves (ie. start of route) and only do 100% everything unlocked saves?

Ideally I would like to do 100% everything unlocked AND checkpoint saves for every route, but if that would lead to complications I guess stick with only 100% saves and just let people skip function their way to their desired location then.

Also, holy crap where should we start >.> I'm guessing all of the more well-known titles and then work our way out from there?

Okay so based on what Beato said we should avoid checkpoint saves (ie. start of route) and only do 100% everything unlocked saves?

Ideally I would like to do 100% everything unlocked AND checkpoint saves for every route, but if that would lead to complications I guess stick with only 100% saves and just let people skip function their way to their desired location then.

Also, holy crap where should we start >.> I'm guessing all of the more well-known titles and then work our way out from there?

I'm not really sure. We're hashing out a lot of the relevant details of database entries right now in the redesign board, but if we keep the save game repository idea, then I suppose we should put together a gameplan for collecting saves.

It's going to be a royal pain, tho. There's probably going to be a lot of necessary checking involved : (

Checkpoint saves would be cool but the trouble it would cause simply isn't worth it. Most VNs are pretty easy to skip in anyway except for gameplay titles and you're better off using trainers for those anyway. Save files simply aren't made for transferring between different systems for most VNs.

Sagoaz is a huge database for Japanese save files.  In the case of fan-translated titles, many of the saves might still work.

Well, Down seems to have had the same idea.  A month ago.

What I've noticed (and this may be specific to the game engine our game was on) is that if you save on CHOICES from Japanese saves, and move them over to English translations, there's a chance there won't even be an option there.

When we were working on Sukisho, I had to save a couple of windows before choices for betatesting purposes, because if we saved on a choice, patched in the new translation/edit/whatever, and it was different from the previous patch, the option would a) not appear, b] give a thousand errors upon reaching that line, or c) dance.  The dancing one was fun.  The options were literally freaking out, choice boxes were blinking in and out.  If we want to use those, we'll need to check everything to ensure we don't get a problem like that.

But 100% saves, I don't recall any problems, even if other saves on that save were at choices.  Just don't pick those :Kappa:

What I've noticed (and this may be specific to the game engine our game was on) is that if you save on CHOICES from Japanese saves, and move them over to English translations, there's a chance there won't even be an option there.

When we were working on Sukisho, I had to save a couple of windows before choices for betatesting purposes, because if we saved on a choice, patched in the new translation/edit/whatever, and it was different from the previous patch, the option would a) not appear, b] give a thousand errors upon reaching that line, or c) dance.  The dancing one was fun.  The options were literally freaking out, choice boxes were blinking in and out.  If we want to use those, we'll need to check everything to ensure we don't get a problem like that.

But 100% saves, I don't recall any problems, even if other saves on that save were at choices.  Just don't pick those :Kappa:

Games often have two different types of save files: snapshot (the type you load from to continue progress) and system saves.  The system save file tends to hold data such as what lines you've seen (for text skipping) and what CG you've unlocked (for the gallery), as well as the endings you've reached (for unlocking routes and the CG gallery).  In most cases, all the user really wants is the system save file, and I suspect based on what you're saying that the system save is highly compatible with fan translation patches.

My answer to the three questions:

1. YES

2. YEs

3. Yes

I've been planning to collect my save data and upload it somewhere but I lost most of them before even uploading.

On an unrelated note: "Hey did somebody fiddle with my like button? I don't remember giving Eclipsed-san's reply 3 likes."