Memos in threads

This is something that would be convienient for me and I could see it be an interesting feature in many cases.

In some threads, all the important info and demands are contained in the OP. However it's either easy to miss or to enter a conversation without reading it.

That's why I think it could be a cool feature to add a "Memo" box at the top of each page where is featured an information the thread maker wants to emphasise or wants most posters to see.

Thoughts ?

And individuals who just love creating multiple threads when it would probably be better to have just a single thread with a nice OP that's viewable on all pages :sachi:

But that doesn't get enough people to view the threads. Most people open a new thread once, decide if they'll keep following/reading it or not and that's that. 

No no, 30 different threads for the same thing it is. 

As for this idea, I find it to be an excellent idea. Certain threads have OP's which are constantly updated to reflect posts or just simply updates. And some people never read the OP after it's been updated (if at all). Seems like an excellent idea.

But that doesn't get enough people to view the threads. Most people open a new thread once, decide if they'll keep following/reading it or not and that's that. 

No no, 30 different threads for the same thing it is. 

Yeah, forums are small / inactive enough so I'll agree it doesnt matter and visibility is a plus

Just imagine if we had 30 different people doing 30 different threads tho  :holo:

Yeah, forums are small / inactive enough so I'll agree it doesnt matter and visibility is a plus

Just imagine if we had 30 different people doing 30 different threads tho  :holo:

Very good. My sarcasm slipped through so smoothly that I didn't offend anyone and still managed to make my comments.

I am satisfied.

Now then, at this point in time, I think it's fine as it is, when you consider these threads are mostly community related, for the community.

Just a reminder that Nayleen is currently out of town until the 20th so any input from him will have to wait for a while.

Very good. My sarcasm slipped through so smoothly that I didn't offend anyone and still managed to make my comments.

I am satisfied.

Now then, at this point in time, I think it's fine as it is, when you consider these threads are mostly community related, for the community.

I am extremly offended, your comment managed to trigger my deepest and darkest emotions over how offensive it was, so much so I had to create a tumblr page just to showcase my rage and sexually identify myself as a lamp post. Expect lawyers at your door tomorrow, sir. *tips fedora*

I am extremly offended, your comment managed to trigger my deepest and darkest emotions over how offensive it was, so much so I had to create a tumblr page just to showcase my rage and sexually identify myself as a lamp post. Expect lawyers at your door tomorrow, sir. *tips fedora*

And here I was worrying mods would get on my case for derailing.

I guess I got the reason wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a cool idea and I can definitely see it being useful, but it's a fairly complex mod and a non-trivial feature to add. Nay would know better than I, so we can see what he has to say, but truth be told I'm always afraid of adding plugins to IPB. At least until the new IPB comes out. It's finicky software.

"Finicky" doesn't even begin to describe the mess that is IPB's code base, plugin and hooks system, anything in general. I really, really don't want to touch it unless I absolutely have to (had to on Hollow Beats, ripping out and replacing IPB's native BBCode), so anything regarding the forums will be met with utmost resistance on my part.

It's a cool idea and I can definitely see it being useful, but it's a fairly complex mod and a non-trivial feature to add. Nay would know better than I, so we can see what he has to say, but truth be told I'm always afraid of adding plugins to IPB. At least until the new IPB comes out. It's finicky software.

"Finicky" doesn't even begin to describe the mess that is IPB's code base, plugin and hooks system, anything in general. I really, really don't want to touch it unless I absolutely have to (had to on Hollow Beats, ripping out and replacing IPB's native BBCode), so anything regarding the forums will be met with utmost resistance on my part.

To what extent will the new software allow new features to be added ?

Is there a possibility that this might be added some day ?

If 4.0 is a sane rewrite, at least regarding the underlying plugin architecture, I can give that kind of stuff another look.

I'm also looking at extremes here, it might be:

• Completely unused, and it needs some kind of visual representation or will go unnoticed
  • Possibly add quite of bit of meta information per thread; We're talking about a possible maximum of # of threads x # of users

If nothing changes and 4.0 just adds a ton of features on top then I think it's still not worth it.

would you consider the option of moving into another forum, vbulletin 4.2+cms for example if it is free of charges?

We looked into this for a long time during the server move and decided to stay with IPB for now and see how IPB4 shakes out. There's definitely some sunk cost syndrome going on here : P, as we've invested a lot of $ into IPB, but that's not the only reason to stick with IPB in the short term. If we do jump ship, it will be to vbulletiin, tho, and not something like phpbb or simple machines.

Why? Have a license burning in your pocket or something? : P

We looked into this for a long time during the server move and decided to stay with IPB for now and see how IPB4 shakes out. There's definitely some sunk cost syndrome going on here : P, as we've invested a lot of $ into IPB, but that's not the only reason to stick with IPB in the short term. If we do jump ship, it will be to vbulletiin, tho, and not something like phpbb or simple machines.

Why? Have a license burning in your pocket or something? : P