A visual novel with a badass main character

The definition of "badass" and "realistic enviroments" around here makes me want to cry.

FYI, 90% of visual novel characters do not meet majority of the basic criteria for one to be called a badass and in most cases, they are DEFINATELY not main characters.

All girls school with 1 guy in it # realism.

In all reality I think it is hard to get a truly badass MC. That would be because a badass MC is uncompromising. In a VN witch choices it just doesn't work that way.

Honestly the most badass MC I know would be the guy from Hadaka Shitsuji because when you decide not to be badass you get sent home early or you get a bad end. Then again Hadaka Shitsuji is a yaoi about a guy who takes up a temporary position as master in a mansion and degrades/rapes butlers for a month. The lack of realism in it made it a good read for yaoi fans despite the main themes but most VN readers on forums like this are guys so it isn't the best of eroge recommendations

All girls school with 1 guy in it # realism.

In all reality I think it is hard to get a truly badass MC. That would be because a badass MC is uncompromising. In a VN witch choices it just doesn't work that way.

Honestly the most badass MC I know would be the guy from Hadaka Shitsuji because when you decide not to be badass you get sent home early or you get a bad end. Then again Hadaka Shitsuji is a yaoi about a guy who takes up a temporary position as master in a mansion and degrades/rapes butlers for a month. The lack of realism in it made it a good read for yaoi fans despite the main themes but most VN readers on forums like this are guys so it isn't the best of eroge recommendations

play sharin no kuni and you will understand what a real badass main character(Kenichi) is or grisaia(Yuuji) but not in the same league as kenichi imo.

Or any of the other vns I recommended, there are not 1 guy 10 girls following any of those characters and they all behave like normal people, no super powers or anything, specially Renji.

play sharin no kuni and you will understand what a real badass main character(Kenichi) is or grisaia(Yuuji) but not in the same league as kenichi imo.

Or any of the other vns I recommended, there are not 1 guy 10 girls following any of those characters and they all behave like normal people, no super powers or anything, specially Renji.

I've been avoiding Sharin no Kuni for a lot of different reasons honestly, and I'll probably continue to avoid it because a badass MC can't make up for all of the things that made me cringe the first time I looked into the title. I might look into Grisaia when the official translation comes out if it gets good reviews, but I'm avoiding it until Sekai Project finishes it because I'd rather pay for my VNs if possible and I doubt I'd play the game more than once.

Other than that I've actually had Swan Song on my list of games to play but you couldn't pay me to pick up a title like Planetarian or Muv-Luv because (besides the fact I can't stand Key's art) I won't knowingly touch anything pertaining to "space" or "mecha".

I've been avoiding Sharin no Kuni for a lot of different reasons honestly, and I'll probably continue to avoid it because a badass MC can't make up for all of the things that made me cringe the first time I looked into the title. I might look into Grisaia when the official translation comes out if it gets good reviews, but I'm avoiding it until Sekai Project finishes it because I'd rather pay for my VNs if possible and I doubt I'd play the game more than once.

Other than that I've actually had Swan Song on my list of games to play but you couldn't pay me to pick up a title like Planetarian or Muv-Luv because (besides the fact I can't stand Key's art) I won't knowingly touch anything pertaining to "space" or "mecha".

muv luv was a joke the MC of the vn is like shinji from evangelion,

at the end of the novel he kinda turns into a badass...kinda

Planetarian actually doesn't look like a Key's vn, the artist on that novel wasn't Mirura it was Eiji Komasu so like I said it doesn't look like a Key's in any way, even the plot or the way is narrated, in fact it's a kinetic vn (the only one of key)

Swan song probably won't appeal to you... for many different things

rape, violence, rape, more rape, more violence

If it is ok with you to can you tell me why are you avoiding sharin no kuni? It looks like you have some prejudice against some vns and maybe with a litle more info you will actually like them.

Cho Dengeki Stryker = Kid wishes to become a superhero and has a comic book hero's mind transferred into his body.

Tears To Tiara = The protag has cults worshiping him at the start as the bringer of the apocalypse, if that gives you an idea.

Rance = Rance is the greatest badass in eroge

Wanko To Kurasou = Ex-prostitute protag managing a moe-blob harem. 

Heartwork = Boy finds gun, boy becomes spy

Policenauts = Written by Kiojima

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/6/2016 at 7:25 PM, WinterfuryZX said:

Why people are so attached to the usual subpar Mary Sue MC such as Kenichi Morita an the likes? (sharin is great despite him)

People so often confuse "strong protagonist" with "Mary Sue".

The definition of a Mary Sue is a character who does no wrong, and excels at everything they do despite not having earned that distinction in any way (read:  author self-insert).

Kazami Yuuji from Grisaia and Kenichi Morita from Sharin no Kuni are not Mary Sues.  Both characters have paid their dues:  endured incredible loss and hardship, gone through years of rigorous, brutal and often cruel training, and have emerged as capable characters for it.  However, both are not infallible.  There are times when they make mistakes, and sometimes those missteps end up costing them dearly.  Not to mention that both are still struggling to live as a "normal" person, with their past trauma proving an impediment in their day to day activities.

In short:  your protagonist doesn't need to be a limp-wristed effeminate pansy in order to be a compelling character.  In fact, it's usually the opposite, since the former is all too common in visual novels.

Edited by antherus