Tired of seeing people looking for Torrents

While I'd love to bolster my post count telling people that we don't host torrents anymore, a massive, bold line on Voluntary Tech Support, (perhaps in the description?) stating that we no longer host them, and link it to the post that says exactly that, will do the trick.

If people whine, especially if they made an account just to ask, ban them.

People clearly can't take the time to read our news/rules, and I've seen waaaaaaay to many of them on what seems to be a daily basis.

EDIT:  Clarity.  I neglect to include updating the website because we're getting a new front page which one would assume would either have that notice, or eliminates that section entirely.

._. No, people aren't stupid, you're stupid to think that only a month after changes have been made that people who have been using fuwa for a couple years downloading torrents from the frontpage are going to spontaniously find the thread where it's been annouced that torrents have been removed.

It takes literrally 3 minutes to create a white banner on which you write with red letters : "Torrents are gone now due to legal reasons" and put in on the frontpage.

But you know people are stupid, not you, right ?

Go on the fucking front page and tell me where it's written.

And don't speak about 'them', they are part of the same community. Just because you know there's a notice hidden somewhere doesn't mean everybody is going to notice it. 

Also, I wonder who's the one whining here.

If i banned people every time they asked me a question for the 68197th time, i'd be busy all day.

Just let people ask, it's going to happen one way or another, even if there's a banner on the front page using big, bold letters (which someone should put up by the way. Don't forget to use comic sans).

At some point in time people will stop.

Maybe like in 2020.

Unless it takes a huge amount of manpower and resources to do so I don't see any harm in leaving a notice where the download button used to be.

It requires the sacrifice of 12 baby hamsters.

I think the main reason it hasn't been created is because the design team is focused on the new layout rather than paying attention to the old one which will end up being discarded. But don't take my word for it.

._. No, people aren't stupid, you're stupid to think that only a month after changes have been made that people who have been using fuwa for a couple years downloading torrents from the frontpage are going to spontaniously find the thread where it's been annouced that torrents have been removed.

It takes literrally 3 minutes to create a white banner on which you write with red letters : "Torrents are gone now due to legal reasons" and put in on the frontpage.

But you know people are stupid, not you, right ?

Go on the fucking front page and tell me where it's written.

And don't speak about 'them', they are part of the same community. Just because you know there's a notice hidden somewhere doesn't mean everybody is going to notice it. 

Also, I wonder who's the one whining here.

The issue is that the people resourceful enough to keep up with current events in the VN community... wouldn't have been visiting Fuwanovel for torrents in the first place.  Fuwanovel has sowed the seeds of its own spam-struction.

Cater to casual users, and you shall be used by casual users.  Used and reused until you have nothing left to give...

Callllm down. Youre acting like me now.

Speaking from a social media standpoint, many of those asking us don't seem to visit except to download and dont care about fuwanovel itself.

Are they the infamous, undesiredz ?

The issue is that the people resourceful enough to keep up with current events in the VN community... wouldn't have been visiting Fuwanovel for torrents in the first place. Fuwanovel has sowed the seeds of its own spam-struction.

Cater to casual users, and you shall be used by casual users...

NSFW

http://s1017.photobucket.com/user/Dark_Shiki/media/f9a5973e-2724-4af1-8318-4397f8ea02e4.jpg

Wait wut ? wut ? Wtf ? plz NSFW dude.

Two things that I assumed were a given, but perhaps I should have stated.

1)  I neglected to include any mention of the website, since we are in the process of updating it.  It's assumed the "new" frontpage will have this notification somewhere obvious enough that people won't have to make an account and post asking a question that would have taken two minutes of rule-reading to discover.  We have the forum rules for a reason.  It's a person's prerogative to not read them, but it's also a good idea to not spoonfeed these people who, upon discovering that we do not, in fact, host torrents anymore, will more than likely leave anyway.

2)  I use the term "ban" lightly.  They're going to ban themselves from coming here because we can't fulfill their desires anymore.  And yes, I refer to these people as 'them,' because the likelihood of them offering any sort of civil conversation after they discover they can't get what they want is pretty close to zero.  Those who do, I applaud, and welcome wholeheartedly.

My apologies for not making it clear.

Speaking from a social media standpoint, many of those asking us don't seem to visit except to download and dont care about fuwanovel itself. 

Seems so. 

I'm really not interested in those who only want to use Fuwa as a glorified seedbox, that being said the announcement ideally should be in an easily visible place. I disagree with the idea that they should know to read the forum rules, people don't read the forum rules for updates on site direction. That's front page stuff really.

But the front page won't be ready for a while, so I think Zaka's solution is the best.

I think it really makes little difference, these people just want to know where the torrents are. Yeah most (if not all) probably don't care about anything else either, but there's no real reason to ban them straight out, they can walk themselves out if they don't like it, our job is only to provide the information.

If anything, have a warning on every page saying torrents are gone and link them to the fuwa changes thread.

Aside from that there's nothing else to do.

I still see the links of the torrents :/

Son of a...

:salt:

Talking a bit serious now :P

I think it was a mistake to take down the pages where the links were hosted, the idea of Zaka can avoid a lot of problems, it wont solve them 100% there will still people asking about torrent here from time to time no matter what but it should reduce the amount significantly.

A lot of people say pretty specifically "I can't find za downloads! wat did you actually remove them?" - having it on the same spot is probably actually going to help on that front. Of course, "a lot" isn't a huge sample size, just a decent part of the people that messaged our Facebook page w.

I think a very good first step would be removing this from the browse page;

"Welcome to Fuwanovel! We're passionate about visual novels and want to help them become popular in the west. Here's a list of great Visual Novels, and if you want some help choosing a game to play, please see ourRecommendations section in the forums. You can get a RSS of all our torrents below.

PLEASE NOTE: This place is only a distribution site, the actual translations are the work of individual groups spread across the whole internet."

I think there are a few similar type of comments scattered around the other pages as well...including the about pages. Removing those might help a great deal especially by putting up a disclaimer that they are not actually available. Admittedly that likely won't stop anyone since if these people bothered to read in the first place we likely wouldn't have this problem.

While I'd love to bolster my post count telling people that we don't host torrents anymore, a massive, bold line on Voluntary Tech Support, (perhaps in the description?) stating that we no longer host them, and link it to the post that says exactly that, will do the trick.

I did almost exactly that by pinning a post in capital letters the other day.

Now it's unpinned so idk

Could go and do what Zaka said but there's too many pages.

Well it would be ok for torrents question, but still I understand Ryechu state of mind (i'm not as virulent as him though), there are topics on translations projects but people still ask for it. I mean it would take 2 minuts to check the ongoing project and fan translation sections. Still i'm aware that we'll never change people.