Spring 2015 Anime Discussion

Nosebleed

Copied from my reddit post, why I'm so disappointed at Nisekoi season 2.

First reason why this second season started off on the wrong foot was the hype and poor advertisement before the show even aired.

It should be clear as day to anyone that when the second season was annouced, most of the advertisement was about how new characters would be introduced, leading most people to believe this would have a big impact on the story. Haru was the main focus as we know, but then a follow up magazine issue also advertised Paula and Fuu-chan.

None of these characters really had any form of explanation behind them in the advertisements, they were just shown as new characters we were supposed to interpret what their role on the story would be. Of course it didn't take long for people to realise that Haru was the main cast addition and she'd be the focus of the second season, right? Yeah... no...

Haru is a character quite liked by manga fans and someone we were all really excited to see animated and witness what she could bring to the table. The manga spends a good deal of chapters focusing on Haru and how she warms up to Raku, but what does the anime do instead? Jackshit nothing, that's what it does. Not only does the anime prance Haru around throughout the opening sequence, but it has the audacity to only dedicate a measly 2 episodes to her character, none of which lead to anything relevant or truly show Haru's character development.

But Haru isn't the only one who suffered. Paula also has some interesting appearances in the manga, but aside from her introduction episode, she never once gets focus again aside from maybe that pool episode. Look, I know Paula isn't a main character, but you can't deny she is a quirky character that has some fun appearances and her dynamics with Tsugumi were compeltely left untouched in this second season.

Lastly, Fuu-chan, I love Fuu-chan, I think she's the best Nisekoi girl, though I understand she's pretty much a background character so the anime didn't do much with her, but still when you introduce her in a separate magazine issue, one would think she'd have some importance to the story, but that quickly went out the window as well.

So essentially this anime did a horrible job at introducing and developing new characters, making the viewers feel like they were needless, pointless and just filler characters, when anyone who's read the manga knows at least Haru is important to the plot, but the anime had its head so far shoved up its own ass that it just pandered to the popular girls and made everything else feel non important.

Second reason was the amount of filler for a one cour anime

We all know Nisekoi is infamous for having tons of filler and never progressing the plot and that even the important arcs just serve to once again redirect the readers/viewers back to a status quo. The key difference from this second season to the first season was that it had 12 episodes and as such the amount of time to actually conclude the plot so nicely like season one did was already made smaller, but the anime never seemed to give a crap as they decided to adapt entire filler episodes in an already tiny timeslot.

Season one had 20 episodes to adapt about 50 chapters, most of which skipped the complete fillers and adapted the story in a linear form that showcased continuity and allowed us to see everything escalate steadily up until the climax.

Season two, however, used 12 episodes to adapt events that spanned across 56 chapters. Does this not set any red flags? But what is an absolute offense to an already restricted timeslot is how the anime blatantly never seems to care and used several episodes to adapt complete filler that didn't even provide character develpment, including that useless Magical Patissier Kosaki-chan episode. Look, I like my fanservice too, but in the situation season 2 was in, there was absolutely no need to do this.

And yes, I do understand that after chapter 50, the amount of filler in the manga increased as well, but that still does not excuse the completely useless filler from being animated when you have other important chapters that were completely left out of this season that should have been in the anime from the start.

And the third and last reason for me was the story is all over the place

Most anime-only watchers expressed this issue they had in which they felt like the second season amounted to nothing and felt like it was just showcasing random, disjoint events. And that's because it very much was.

The first episode was already filler, right from the get go they decide to adapt two completely random Chitoge chapters that didn't give us any additional plot progression other than cutesy Chitoge moments. Again I don't hate Chitoge, but why not start off closer to Hana's arc so you don't waste one episode doing nothing?

After showing us Hana's arc, a really important arc for Chitoge's character development, the anime seems to stop giving a crap for a while again, never introducing Haru until episode 7. EPISODE 7. We're over halfway done with this anime and they only decide to introduce a major character in episode 7.

But not only that, after episode 7, the anime forgets said character's existence and adapts yet another bunch of fillers that felt disjoint from the previous episode. We were never even shown how Raku discovered Haru had the pendant, he just knew at some point and everyone was left wondering when did this happen, because the anime left it out entirely.

And then after 2 episodes of Haru, the anime completely forgets about her and just moves on, making everyone question what was the point in the first place if you're not going to show any form of conclusion.

Then we go into Shuu's arc, one of people's favorites and a very much apprecited addition, but the problem I have with this is that, we're already almost done with the anime and no significant amount of plot progression has been made. There's no hint at a conclusion, nothing got done in the anime, no one felt differently than they did when they began.

And when the last episode arrives, we finally receive the grim reminder that, they never once cared for either Haru or plot progression. One of the most important arcs, the amnesia arc, is completely left out of the anime, thus the viewers sit there wondering about what happened to the pendant, and the last episode is just, once again, yet another pointless Chitoge episode.

Basically, the anime played is super safe by starting and ending things with Chitoge, apparently tihnking that's what fans wanted, that that gives the story a better direction, but the problem this has is that, unless you're a die hard Chitoge fan, this just means that the story has no logical following, no purpose in existing, because it skips over all the premises that even made the first season so great, it leaves all the important info out to focus on stuff that's just not relevant enough to be in an already short anime.

In conclusion

Nisekoi season 2 started off bad, kind of got decent, but then shot itself in the foot (several times). All the events were completely disjoint and didn't lead to any meaningful conclusion, and of course, the initial premises of the story are entirely abandoned for the sake of giving the fans Chitoge fanservice. While there were some important arcs adapted, they felt really pointless because the anime didn't follow them up in any natural order and instead tried cramming in some random events from all the following volumes up until chapter 106 in hopes of not having to adapt as much story in possible upcoming seasons. This anime falls entirely in the "needless sequels" box. It's pointless manga advertisement, full of filler and without a sense of direction.

And it's because of all of this that I couldn't help but sigh and cover my face as one of the series I quite enjoy reading and watching essentially committed seppuku in front of me.

Well, I certainly didn´t expect the final UBW episode to be like this. It was pretty nice to see a little afterstory for the vn ending (I liked especially Luvia´s appearance). I have to agree with the general opinion though that the second season couldn´t deliver as well as the first one, just like it was with F/Z. But even with those mankos it was still totally worth watching (and this gallery always gave a nice view from a different perspective :illya: )

This season had a lot of trash airing. Not even good trash. Bring on Summer.

F/SN UBW, so much wrong with it. Prisma Illya S3 will wash away this horrible show from my memory. Plastic Memories, I found the whole idea of Giftia expiring to be flawed, like just stick in a SSD and some more RAM or something? Kinda cringe worthy at many points. Grisaia no Rakuen, it was suprising well done. Who knew they could do after S1? NisekoiS2 well....  Yamada-kun, got boring towards end. Was decent overall. 

F/SN UBW, so much wrong with it. Prisma Illya S3 will wash away this horrible show from my memory.

I'm glad I dropped UBW on the first episode. I know some shows need some time before they get better, and I don't make a habit of dropping stuff this soon, but there's no helping direction errors. It means that the director is either incompetent or really doesn't care about the anime, making the chances for improvement miniscule.

Yeah, Prisma Illya S3 will likely be a breath of fresh air after that.

Holy crap that last Euphonium episode really hit the spot.

Beautiful, simply beautiful.

This show is pretty much at the top of this season for me, I don't think anything else aside from Gintama can top it.

My ship set sail and never stopped until the very end. I don't care how the light novels go, as long as I got my yuri in the anime I am satisfied.

The music was super pleasing to listen to, even though they repeated the same piece so many damn times, when they actually got it right they really managed to bring it out.

Visuals were based KyoAni as usual.

I'm torn on whether or not I want to see a sequel, but if it goes as well as this first season did, I see no reason not to want one.

But if I don't get one, I fully believe that this show as a standalone really managed to convey the message and I think that's really what's most important.

So yeah, Euphonium gets a 10/10 because bias, gay shit, KyoAni visuals and a whole lot of friendship

It's really nice to see KyoAni come back strong with this show.

I accidentally invested with Hibike characters too much and end up having tears when they won on that final episode. Surprised me a lot considering I don't feel much when watching anime. Damn you KyoAni for making such a beautiful show, now where's my season 2?!

These kinds of moments between Seita and his mom are always touching.

When their first arc aired I bawled my eyes out.

Of course in the end Gintama is still Gintama so they always have to ruin the moment somehow. Or should I say enhance it?

Looking forward to next week, I don't mind serious arcs but I don't mind if they fool around either and that's the beauty of Gintama.