Tales of [Games]

Tatsujin

So I was looking over the Xillia games and I remember I returned the first game upon 10 minutes of playing it. The utter super shitty jagged background graphics and no dual-audio ... I hate English Dubs on Japanese products. It fucking sucks, period. Xillia 2 doesn't have dual-audio either, so no-go on this either. Are there 'Asian' Editions which usually have the Japanese Audio and English subs?

Also, I still have Symphonia factory sealed for the PS3. I hear Symphonia is pretty bad ass. It has Japanese voices (I think dual-audio) with English subs. Who has played the PS3 version?

Are there any PS3/PS4 Tales of games with J-voices and E-subs I don't know about?

Edited by Tatsujin

I believe the PS3 version of Vesperia (Japan only release) has been translated, meaning you could play it with Japanese voices and read the subs as you go or apply them if you have a hacked PS3. Other than that, none of the Tales games have dual audio that I'm aware of. 

Can't vouch for the other games since I haven't played them yet, but the dub for Xillia was good. There is one VA in the main cast who was a bit mediocre, but the rest of the cast performed very diligently and didn't feel awkward at all to listen to (which is fairly uncommon). But if you're really adamant about avoiding English voices, then I guess your only choice is Vesperia.

Tales of Hearts R on the PSVita has Japanese voicing only. Honestly though, I feel like the dubbing in the Tales game is pretty good for the most part (although I wouldn't mind having an option to choose Japanese voices). Also the ps3 re-release does have an option for japanese voices and its an excellent game. 

I don't think there are any other english released Tales games on the PS3/4 right now besides Tales of Grace, Xillia 1-2, Symphonia, and Tales of Hearts R on Vita.

Btw, have you ever tried the Star Ocean games? Their battle mechanics and field exploration are somewhat similar to the Tales series but tend to center more around traveling across multiple worlds kind of story.

the scratching of hell that is Teepo

True dat.

The voice actor for Milla in Tales of Xillia has a weird minor lisp, though, which I remember drove me nuts for an hour or two... but I got over it. Aside from those two things, I've only thought well of Tales games dubs (including Vesperia, Graces F, and both Xillia games)

The Tales of Symphonia remake on the PS3 has both Japanese and English audio, which is great, as in english they didn't dub any of the skits whereas in the japanese the skits are dubbed. Only thing that isn't subbed, though, are the boss' ending comments when you kill them before it switches from battle mode.

As for anything else...eh, honestly, most of the Bandai Namco dubbing doesn't bother me. If you are still interested in playing any Tales game, may I also suggest 'Tales of the Abyss'? It's on the PS2 and 3DS.

I love the Tales of Series and I think they do pretty solid dubs. They usually have one character that is a bit (or more) annoying but the rest seem pretty solid. Little worried about people's reactions to the latest game in the series but generally I've liked all of them.

Symphonia chronicles was great but they didn't really do anything to make it better and they easily could have. Nice to have gotten it though regardless. Next game is supposedly going to be dual audio...but Namco has gone back on what it's said for other games in the past so don't hold it to it.

Little worried about people's reactions to the latest game in the series but generally I've liked all of them.

Do you mean Tales of Zestiria and the shitstorm in japan?

That's just because a character which most people looked forward to play isn't avaiable the whole game.

Yeah. Western game news sites tend to blow it out of proportion when Amazon.co.jp fanboys riot. The truth is the large percentage of Amazon.co.jp reviews for games are written by trolls or diehard fanboys who will not forgive even the smallest change to their beloved franchises and instantly 1-star games that have maybe one thing wrong with them. Zestiria is fine. In fact it's pretty darn fun, I've been playing it with a buddy and we're having a blast. Neither of us cared about the character that drops out since we're more into the bromance between the main character and water elf boy than anything else. The only complaint I have is the ridiculously obtuse skill/equipment system, which is Idea Factory levels of stupid and micro-managy. If I was going to take stars from it it'd be because of the stupid equipment system, not because one of the characters leaves your party.

Zestiria definitely isn't the Worst Tales Evar like Amazon.co.jp would have you believe. It's pretty middle-of-the-road except for graphics and music which are both pretty good.

And. I mean.

Dat op.

Xillia's EN voice acting was pretty good overall, imho. Yeah, Milla's English voice wasn't too great, but I've played nearly all 'Tales of' games in Japanese, and Jude's JP voice has to be one of the most annoying I've ever come across. Teepo's JP voice was pretty bad too. Symphonia got dual-audio probably because Bamco wanted to add value to their product. They didn't dub Hearts R in English simply to cut costs...or so I've heard.

As for Zestiria, I dropped it a while back. I didn't care too much about the "missing" character and the other weird issues it's got - it's just the entire game felt... off. The game isn't at all bad. It just didn't really feel like a 'Tales of' game to me. And yeah, it has a great soundtrack, but I didn't feel the OP fit the game =/

Could you make heads or tails of the equipment system? The best I could ever do is 'hey this equipment piece lights up more lights than the last one, and some of them are in a row, it must be better'

Hahah!! You're talking about the skill board, right? Yeah, that's right. If I recall correctly, the number and placement of the stars determine the bonus skills a piece of equipment can offer. You'll know when you've got a bonus skill because the star will light up. Fusing weapons can add/improve the skills of an item too, but that's an entirely different beast,..

I'm currently stalling Tales of Xillia because I got really annoyed by Milla's voice it sounds so ''neutral'' like she can say some things without any emotion. Am I the only one who thought that? Other than that I really enjoyed the game, well for as far as I played it anyway. Maybe I'm picking up another one , like a slightly older one say for ps2 but I don't really know which one to pick.

I'm currently stalling Tales of Xillia because I got really annoyed by Milla's voice it sounds so ''neutral'' like she can say some things without any emotion. Am I the only one who thought that? Other than that I really enjoyed the game, well for as far as I played it anyway. Maybe I'm picking up another one , like a slightly older one say for ps2 but I don't really know which one to pick.

Abyss is generally considered one of the better in the series, and it's on PS2. I'm not sure if it was released in America/English but the Director's Cut version of Tales of Destiny is also pretty famous in Japan.

My favorite Tales game, and the one I had by far the most fun with, is Tales of Phantasia Narikiri Dungeon X for PSP. You play as two cute twins that can change costumes to become different classes. It's the only class-changing Tales of game and it is an absolute blast. Plus you get to team up with/see epilogue stories for all the Tales of Phantasia characters which is pretty cool. Sadly it's only in Japanese.

Abyss is generally considered one of the better in the series, and it's on PS2. I'm not sure if it was released in America/English but the Director's Cut version of Tales of Destiny is also pretty famous in Japan.

My favorite Tales game, and the one I had by far the most fun with, is Tales of Phantasia Narikiri Dungeon X for PSP. You play as two cute twins that can change costumes to become different classes. It's the only class-changing Tales of game and it is an absolute blast. Plus you get to team up with/see epilogue stories for all the Tales of Phantasia characters which is pretty cool. Sadly it's only in Japanese.

Thank you, yes I do remember hearing great things about it before. I do believe it's there in English although it's more rare and therefor more expensive than the Japanese edition. I might just pick up Phantasia as well since I still treasure my PSP and am working on my Japanese either way. I might have to wait a few years to play it but that's only more motivation right? ^.^

Thank you, yes I do remember hearing great things about it before. I do believe it's there in English although it's more rare and therefor more expensive than the Japanese edition. I might just pick up Phantasia as well since I still treasure my PSP and am working on my Japanese either way. I might have to wait a few years to play it but that's only more motivation right? ^.^

Abyss is available in English on the 3DS, not rare at all if you have one of those. I've heard very good things about it, but for some reason it didn't click with me when I played it (I played maybe 5 hours). I need to go back to it at some point... but realistically, that'll never happen. My portable backlog is ~10 games long at this point, and only grows.

Abyss is available in English on the 3DS, not rare at all if you have one of those. I've heard very good things about it, but for some reason it didn't click with me when I played it (I played maybe 5 hours). I need to go back to it at some point... but realistically, that'll never happen. My portable backlog is ~10 games long at this point, and only grows.

Ah yes but I meant the play station 2 version. That one is rather hard to come by. And I do hear you about the ever growing backlog.