Hi from a new VN dev group! (though currently doing TL)

stezie

Hi everyone! I'm stezie. I got into visual novels only about half a year ago, and I've been lurking Fuwa for about the same time, so it feels good to finally post. Long story short, a friend and I had been mulling over a bunch of stories and ideas for a while without any way to really cement them into something tangible, so when he introduced me to these, I got really, really excited, since this was the kind of storytelling medium I feel like I've been looking for. Then we just decided cobble together our group, Kuoee, and start having a shot at making one.

We hit a bit of a snag when I felt like my writing style didn't transfer well to VNs, and when I realised that neither of us had any real programming experience, so Renpy was a bit daunting (shoutout to Helvetica's guide, thanks a bunch!). Eventually my friend suggested that until I was completely confident in both my writing style, and in the technical side of things, we could just go and translate one of the visual novels he considers one of his hidden gems.

He picked this one VN called Blue*, since he felt I'd be able to really connect with the story and characters, and since he remembered it would have some really tough nuts to crack when it came to translating it. Not to mention, it wasn't way too long - roughly under ten hours we think. We started off by just asking the original devs if we could work on it, and they were cool with it, and have been helping us along the way as well. So far, we're about a couple of months in, and I've got the full stats somewhere else, but at our current pace, we might be done in just another month.

Since we were heading into the home stretch, we felt that we should be getting some feedback, so that if we messed something up early in the process, it wouldn't carry on for the whole game. Better late than never, hey. The devs gave us the green light to release a demo, and we're just wrapping up a couple of tidbits, so I'll have it up and ready in the next couple of days, but right now, I'm more keen to just wrap this introduction up, say hey, and maybe hang out down in the creative forum. If people are interested, I'll try to get more news up sooner rather than later. We've also got a blog up here, and I'm hopeless with social media, but apparently, our twitter's good for quick updates and stuff.

Hi again everyone! Thanks for the warm welcome :) On our end, we managed to get things sorted out pretty quickly and get our demo finalised.

I'm really, really excited since we've been working extremely hard on this, so I'll just drop the download link right here while I go mock up a project page thread, with all the information and whatnot, on the TL forum.

Hey Stezie, welcome to the forums.

Eventually my friend suggested that until I was completely confident in both my writing style, and in the technical side of things, we could just go and translate one of the visual novels he considers one of his hidden gems.

Always good to see more Australians on the forum. I'd like to send a cautious warning about taking writing tips from translated/untranslated Japanese VNs (just in case this was what you were planning.) Taking writing tips from Japanese VNs can lead to a lot of technical problems in your writing, they seem to value different things in their prose and this can actually damage your writing. Be very careful.

Good luck with the dev/translation work :)

Hey Stezie, welcome to the forums.

Always good to see more Australians on the forum. I'd like to send a cautious warning about taking writing tips from translated/untranslated Japanese VNs (just in case this was what you were planning.) Taking writing tips from Japanese VNs can lead to a lot of technical problems in your writing, they seem to value different things in their prose and this can actually damage your writing. Be very careful.

Good luck with the dev/translation work :)

Thanks for the tips, mate. Yeah, I've already been caught once accidentally rewriting a character, way early in the project, because I misinterpreted the translation :(

Still, there are plenty of times when we do have to break a couple of your golden rules, and either add material or otherwise change the meaning of a passage. Mostly for puns, but there have been an odd few passages that revolved around untranslatable concepts, so we had to rewrite them from scratch (though always keeping the intent of the original passage, even if the strict, literal meanings must be compromised). I just hope we've exercised enough discretion that people won't get too cranky at us.