Help me Resume my VN Playing

Mr Poltroon

Recommendations  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Having read my issues with them, which VN's would you still recommend?

• Air
    • Cross Channel
    • Da Capo II
    • Eien no Aselia
    • Killer Queen
    • Rewrite
    • Swan Song
    • Yume Miru Kusuri

This poll is closed to new votes

This one's going to be a bit weird, but try to bear with it.

This poll has various games I attempted to play but for some reason or another stopped. I'll tell you the reasons and I'm hoping you may tell me if even so you would still recommend it to me. You may vote on how many you want, if you feel they are still worth it.

• Air

I am afraid of a sad ending and stalled it because of that. I am currently missing Toono Minagi's route and I believe there is still a "True" route after that?

• Cross Channel

I have been told it's really interesting and intricate and whatever else. I attempted to start this but I was bored to death within the first hour, dropping it then. Is the story still worth it after the start?

• Da Capo II

It's more or less boring, and some of the routes I've played are really disappointing (Koko). The only ones I'm still missing are Amakase Minatsu, the Sisters and Sakura. In the original game I hated the sister route: Would this game be better in this respect, in your opinion?

• Eien no Aselia

I played it through once, it was Aselia's route. I very much enjoyed it but I don't think I'm willing to spend hours going through the gameplay parts again just to see the other routes. Even so, would it still be worth it?

• Killer Queen

I liked the first route so much that I didn't start the second, having heard it would be different, more serious and depressing. Is it really?

• Rewrite

I am still missing the Terra route. I dropped it at the beginning because it was boring me to death (I may have something against Romeo Tanaka's writting - I/O and Cross Channel bore me to death).

• Swan Song - Mind the Spoilers

I reached an H-Scene. It went so well I absolutely loved everything just then. But I think this kind of game holds a more depressing future and I'm too scared to progress. Just how bad it it?

• Yume Miru Kusuri

Would you recommend this one over the others? There's actually no problem with me playing this one.

Clannad

You beat me to recommending it... :(

I guess my title is not all that accurate, is it? I don't actually wish for recommendations, I just want to more or less decide which VN's I should drop for good or which are still worth it.

Ah, good thing I read this before writing out this post. Yeah, Cross Channel and Rewrite are totally worth it in my opinion. Swan Song, Yume Miru, and Air I would also recommend going through.

Even though I still haven't read Air. :/

So cool. How didn't I think of that?!

I guess my title is not all that accurate, is it? I don't actually wish for recommendations, I just want to more or less decide which VN's I should drop for good or which are still worth it.

TL;DR

Even though I still haven't read Air. :/

I haven't completed either Rewrite or Swan Song, but I can tell you that they're totally worth it. I highly recommend these to you.

You know that if you haven't completed it it kinda beats the purpose right? After all, I've played through a good chunk of Air and the only reason I won't finish it is because I fear the ending, and I've played through nearly all of Rewrite except the very final route. Telling me the part before that is good is kinda useless, you know?

Rewrite: I am still missing the Terra route. I dropped it at the beginning because it was boring me to death

I read Rewrite after Little Busters so to my misfortune I was expecting Terra route to be some mindblowing experience similar to Refrain and was obliterated. You really have to be in the right mindset for Terra because it's a completely different story that's pretty damn slow since you have to set up everything again and doesn't take into account any of the common+heroine routes you've come to know and love.

Cross Channel: I have been told it's really interesting and intricate and whatever else. I attempted to start this but I was bored to death within the first hour, dropping it then. Is the story still worth it after the start?

I also dropped Cross Channel during the first hour because yeah it was just so fking slow. Like IMHHW at least gave me beautiful visuals and whatnot while setting everything up but Cross Channel was just... I don't even remember anymore >.>. CC lovers don't hate pls

~~

Well, if you have no problem with Yume Miru Kusuri out of all of the ones listed I say go for it. Haven't read it myself so no comment. 

Cross Channel never "speeds up" but it definitely gets more interesting once you understand the nature of the characters and their school. I kind of like the slow, deliberate pacing of it. Not every VN needs a million things going on at a time and I feel like some VNs are paced too frantically. 

I doubt it's Tanakas writing you have a problem with as he didn't write I/O at all (only came up with some concepts), and Cross Channel is an atrocious translation and Rewrite certainly isn't very well translated either, neither reads anything like the japanese writing.

Taigo, you know i kind of got this impression before but you really dont do well with sa stuff dont you?

I personally voted to cross channel and AIR, and while i have not read either cross channel is on my short list as is AIR.

Its just that things keep popping up preventing me from playing them. fate hollow atraxia, maijkoi

I have heard great things from air, and while i cant sya for sure it has a sad ending or not. that is not a reason not to finish it as a sad ending is not neccesarily a bad ending or a unsatisfeing ending.

Altough i will admit pulling of a sad ending well is much much harder than a good ending.

As for cross channel, boring you to death in one hour. I can only say one thing, the amount of vn's that bore me to death the first half to two hours is pretty much all of them.

Cross Channel is very interesting, it slowly builds up and gets more and more interesting and then it ends. The ending I wasn't a big fan of, but it's definitely worth going through.

Yume Miru Kusuri is not bad either but it gets a bit ridiculous at some points, not a fan of the ending of Aekas ending.

And then lastly Da Capo II is in my opinion a lot better than Da Capo, the sisters also have my favorite routes (well at least Otome, never really been a fan of younger sisters) and I would say Kokos route is probably the shittiest. The rest I haven't bothered to play yet, which means I have found something about them more or less off-putting,

I doubt it's Tanakas writing you have a problem with as he didn't write I/O at all (only came up with some concepts), and Cross Channel is an atrocious translation and Rewrite certainly isn't very well translated either, neither reads anything like the japanese writing.

Well, I don't necessarily have a prejudice against him, but I did find it funny that every time I drop a VN I later find out he had something to do with it ;P

Taigo, you know i kind of got this impression before but you really dont do well with sa stuff dont you?

Some people get a kick out of getting sad or depressed over this kind of story. Would you look at that, I don't.

I have heard great things from air, and while i cant sya for sure it has a sad ending or not. that is not a reason not to finish it as a sad ending is not neccesarily a bad ending or a unsatisfeing ending.

Altough i will admit pulling of a sad ending well is much much harder than a good ending.

As for cross channel, boring you to death in one hour. I can only say one thing, the amount of vn's that bore me to death the first half to two hours is pretty much all of them.

What you say is reasonable, and given Key's record I am fully prepared to finish it, because being sad doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. It's just that I heard some things which led me to conclude that the end can't exactly be considered good.

And again, what you say is reasonable. I tend to enjoy the worst crap so long as it's got some kind of comedy. That's how I got through shuffle. I just didn't find Cross Channel pleasant in any meaningful way which let me get through the initial drag.

Cross Channel is very interesting, it slowly builds up and gets more and more interesting and then it ends. The ending I wasn't a big fan of, but it's definitely worth going through.

Yume Miru Kusuri is not bad either but it gets a bit ridiculous at some points, not a fan of the ending of Aekas ending.

And then lastly Da Capo II is in my opinion a lot better than Da Capo, the sisters also have my favorite routes (well at least Otome, never really been a fan of younger sisters) and I would say Kokos route is probably the shittiest. The rest I haven't bothered to play yet, which means I have found something about them more or less off-putting,

Alright, like I was told before Cross Channel gets better as it goes, I really have to give it a retry.

I got through that ending alive, all that I've really got left is Nekoko's and I really need to get to it, so I can get on Nosebleed's good side.

Well, it seems you enjoyed the sister's routes, which were my main fear...

i cant really say anything since i onlly have 4 of these games and i havent completed a route in any of them.

"I can't really say anything" - and yet here you are! Oh, the intricacies of life, how funny.

Since I didn't see anyone commenting about Swan Song, I'll try.

It's perfect. It's a post apocaliptic [is that spelled correctly?] VN, with people trying to survive after this big earthquake. It has some rapes and people being jerks, so be warned.

In the plus side, it has a great story with memorable characters - that ofter switch views as narrators. It works with a different side of man kind which we don't often see around here. It is about what people do to survive, and some things can get messy during the process of staying alive.

About depression, it is depressive, indeed, but it's not an utsuge or tearjerking game, it's more dark than suicidal. Since we have 2 endings, if you think one of them is too sad for you, you can try the other, which... no spoilers intended, shows a different closure to what wee see through it. I prefer the depressing one, but not everything ends like that.

Yume Miru Kusuri I definitely recommend, play that one if you have misgivings about the rest.

Da Capo 2 I admit does have the disadvantage of Koko's route but it got better from there for me. Minatsu's route I found good and it ends on an interesting note (and it's actually followed up on pretty well so far in her SC After Story), Yume's route is okay (better than Koko's) but it's ending is kind of incomplete, Otome's is definitely the best of the remaining bunch.

I reviewed it here if you want my opinion:

http://gamesforadultsandeveryone.blogspot.com/2012/10/games-for-adults-da-capo-2.html