I need a sensei.

Tay

I mean, the most obvious one you need to watch is Unlimited Blade Works. I don't think it takes a sensei to figure that out. :P

Oh, and Shinsekai Yori, but I'm biased because it's the best my favourite anime

We have the same favourite anime? *high fives*

What anime do you like Tay? it's easier to give tips that way. Though you should watch Shinsekai Yori anyway because it's really great.

I recently joined my Universities Anime club so I can suggest a few that we've been screening.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventures

YuruYuri

Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko

Senyuu

Danshi Koukouei no Nichijou

Natsume Yujinchou

No Game, No Life

I've been enjoying all of these so perhaps you'll like them as well.

Thank you, everyone!

My sins:

• I haven't seriously watched anime since ~Jan-March 2014
  • I still don't totally know what I like
  • I'm pretty crappy at MAL (here's my list)
  • I don't torrent stuff, so by necessity all my anime comes from streaming sites like Crunchyroll
  • I've watched very few "classics"

What I've liked so far: 

• I liked Fate/Zero (s1 and s2) because it was awesome. Loved almost everything about it. But in general I'm not a fan of violent/action-based anime
  • I loved the first half of Sword Art Online like crazy. The second half wasn't great, but since Kirito + Asuna happened, I could deal with it.
  • I know there's a lot of [whatever the equivalent of moege is in animespeak] on my list, but that's kind of accidental. I think what I actually like are [equivalent of charage in animespeak], but idk
  • I'm a sucker for anime rom-coms, it appears

I REGRET NOTHING

• A lot of my favorite anime are kind of the intersection of all of those (cute, not-too-much-action-unless-it's-Fate, good characters, rom-com-ness), such as oreimo and TWGOK
  • I like to laugh, too

Halp?

Ohhhhh. So you haven't watched Nichijou.

MAKE IT YOUR TOP PRIORITY (jk)

So compairing my list with yours, these are the anime I've watched that you haven't I'd recommend:

InuYasha: Pretty much a classic, Good adventure, action, and romance.

Trigun: Sci-Fi action. Also a classic.

Tokyo Ravens: Kind-of a supernatural action rom com, but the ending might not be satisfying.

Future Diary: Not so great in the beginning, but awesome towards the end. A survival game scenario with mystery. Oh, and there's time travel.

A Certain Magical Index: Great if you like fantasy mixed with sci-fi.

My Bride is a Mermaid: A well done rom com.

Samurai Champloo: Action + samurai. Nuff' said.

Cowboy Bebop: One of the classiest classics around. Sci-fi and action.

Akuma no Riddle: As previously mentioned, is action with mystery, and a small amount of yuri. I most recently finished this myself.

And of course, Nichijou: Best comedy. No other comedy show is better than this masterpiece. (IMO)

Hope I helped Tay-san! :mare:

In that case, I would definitely encourage you to watch Toradora. It's a very popular favorite in the rom-com department. It's not the funniest the genre has to offer, but the comedy is more to accentuate the light-hearted atmosphere, which I think it does really well at. The main heroine is a little bit rough if you're not use to tsundere, but she's absolutely adorable if you decide to stick with the show for a little while. http://www.crunchyroll.com/toradora

Engaged to the Unidentified is another strong candidate in the rom-com department. http://www.crunchyroll.com/engaged-to-the-unidentified

It's understandable to not be entirely sure of what you want to watch. I'll toss ya a few sample suggestions in various categories. See if anything clicks.

Thought-provoking:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/shin-sekai-yori-from-the-new-world

http://www.crunchyroll.com/horizon-in-the-middle-of-nowhere

Comedy with little or no romance:

http://www.funimation.com/shows/good-luck-girl/home

http://www.crunchyroll.com/hayate-the-combat-butler-season-1-2

Mech series that non-mech lovers can enjoy:

http://www.funimation.com/shows/eureka-seven/home (good romance too)

Tranquil:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/mushi-shi

Long-runners that are worth spending time on:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/gintama (kinda slow for 30 episodes, but it gets really good)

http://www.crunchyroll.com/hunter-x-hunter

Just for the hell of it:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=inferno+cop

(this is an actual anime)

I guess to be helpful... I will drop in Parasyte, since you say you haven't watched anime since January 2014.

That and Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso...

Edit: Fixing. Totally didn't realize that there was a second page of this thread. xD

Edit 2: There was no need to fix anything~ :P

Thank you, everyone!

My sins:

• I haven't seriously watched anime since ~Jan-March 2014
  • I still don't totally know what I like
  • I don't torrent stuff, so by necessity all my anime comes from streaming sites like Crunchyroll
  • I've watched very few "classics"

What I've liked so far: 

• I liked Fate/Zero (s1 and s2) because it was awesome. Loved almost everything about it. But in general I'm not a fan of violent/action-based anime
  • I loved the first half of Sword Art Online like crazy. The second half wasn't great, but since Kirito + Asuna happened, I could deal with it.
  • I know there's a lot of [whatever the equivalent of moege is in animespeak] on my list, but that's kind of accidental. I think what I actually like are [equivalent of charage in animespeak], but idk

I REGRET NOTHING

• A lot of my favorite anime are kind of the intersection of all of those (cute, not-too-much-action-unless-it's-Fate, good characters, rom-com-ness), such as oreimo and TWGOK
  • I like to laugh, too

Halp?

Some good shows missing from your list.

Hyouka (though it isn't licensed so you won't be able to watch it unless you torrent)

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Mawaru Penguindrum

Kyousou Giga (you only need to watch the tv series, not the ONA's)

Toradora (since you like rom-coms)

Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou

....And make sure to finish Shinsekai Yori!

This isn't the banana version used in the TeamSpeak. You call yourself a Milkian? Worthless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyfdcoocex8

@ Tay: I seem to thrive on violent, gore, and action based anime.   :michiru:   Guess I'll rely on the other side.

My Recommendations:

Nice Anime:

• ToraDora-Best RomCom created as long as your on board with Tsun.
  • Spice and Wolf-Beautiful romance.
  • Kobato-Beautiful cutesy romance. 
  • Nichijou-Hilarious randomness. 
  • Gekkan Shoujou Nozaki-kun-More hilarious. 

Not Nice Anime You Should Probably Watch Anyway:

• Future Diary  :upupu:
  • Code Geass-Classic
  • FMA Brotherhood-More Classic
  • Gurren Laggan-Even More Classic

Recently Aired Things I Recommend:

• Selector Infected-Like Madoka
  • Death Parade-Psychological Despair

Also, I don't know how much time you have but you're always welcome to stop by for cycle of anime club.  #shamelessplugnojutsu

Toradora!, once again.

It's one of the best anime series -if not the best- I've seen (It's a light novel, so I guess it's also a great light novel)

You're gonna make me work for this one.

There's the obligatory: 

There is the light novel adaptations without a definitive conclusion:

• Magical Index and Scientific Railgun - Action, but lots of characters? I don't know, it just seems to 'fit'.
  • Dog Days - Season 1 I can almost guarantee you will like based on description from before, while the rest may be a little worse.
  • A Sunday Without God - I hardly see anyone talk about this show, probably because it went under the radar with an "incomplete" end. It has one of my favorite soundtracks, ever.
  • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Probably the odd one out on this list, as I don't know where you might possibly be able to stream it.  It does fit though.
  • Familiar of Zero - I've never seen it, but I've read the books which were good, and according to Eclipsed and Nosebleed in the Anime Recently Watched thread, it's not all awful like I tend to think.
  • I Don't Have Many Friends - I'm surprised I didn't see anyone recommend this yet.
  • Beyond the Boundary
  • Durarara!! - Might be one of the better shows in the SoL genre.  Very enjoyable.

I could recommend any number of ecchi rom-com series but of the two that stand out for me would be

• Noucome - I just enjoyed it, its probably sub par in everyone else's eyes, but I don't care.
  • Highschool DxD - The magnum opis of harem ecchi rom-com's currently animated.  I'm of the belief that you can't watch a genre without seeing the best it can offer.

For these, I just like to classify them as "movie-like".  When I watched these, they just felt like movies. Call me weird, again, I don't care. Most of these will be difficult or impossible to stream legally because of their nature.  I'm still going to recommend them anyway.

• Terror in Resonance - Pretty much a recommend no matter who it is, I think it's a classic. It's on Hulu.
  • Katanagatari - I can't think of anything to say about this one, it's just different.
  • Patema Inverted - It's a movie, I highly enjoyed it.  It felt like the old Ghibli stuff I watched as a child.
  • Time of Eve - Wonderful little OVA which I think got kickstarted to be translated into many different languages.  It's kind of wonderful. It should be on Crunchy.
  • Rage of Bahamut - Genesis - It's a fun story that is basically a shounen that continues to keep the rising action of the story until the last episode of the show.  It's on Hulu.
  • [C] - Money of Soul and Possibilty Control - Toss up, it starts off fairly well and slowly gets more and more abstract.

Things that don't really fit anywhere but I want to recommend anyway.

• Mardock Scramble - Movie series that is too symbolic for me to fully analyze successfully, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.
  • Higurashi - It's a visual novel adaptation, and probably DEEN's best work.
  • Kara no Kyoukai series - I just like Nasu?  It's animate by UFOTable so the animation quality is god tier like F/Z and UBW
  • World Conquest Zvezda Plot - An oddball, just leave it at that.
  • Buso Renkin - Pretty vanilla old school shounen with a romance sub plot.  Definitely worth a look.

That's pretty much it.

Wait, did I just make the longest and most detailed list yet?  :amane:  I might watch too much anime. Waits for the TL;DR.

EDIT: After further thought, I decided to add in Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood even though it doesn't quite fit the criteria, just because it's one of the gateway anime that you can talk to pretty much anyone about and they will be able to hold at least a small conversation.

I'd rather know the anime you like before throwing something in.

Well he gave us a MAL link, which contains his ratings on the shows he has previously watched. He also gave an attempt at self analyzing what he thinks he liked.  Here is what I based most of my recommendations off of.

Thank you, everyone!

My sins:

What I've liked so far: 

• But in general I'm not a fan of violent/action-based anime
  • I loved the first half of Sword Art Online like crazy.
  • I think what I actually like are [equivalent of charage in animespeak]
  • I like to laugh, too

Basically, I tried to find the anime with the qualia and feel of this, with both a strict and a semi broad definition.  This allows the person to both watch what they enjoy, and possibly find something new, or something they dislike.

You'd want to watch Cowboy Bebop. It literally is a mix of all genres and it is one of the best ones out there.

Another suggestion would be Katanagatari. Unless you don't like idle chatter(i srsly doubt cuz VNs) and awesome story, you'll definetely love this one.

/\ are must watch even if ur dying

\/ are also must watch even if u havent slept for 3 days

Hmm, more stuff...

Imma just type my favourites of every genre.

Comedy

Arakawa Under the Bridge

Psychological/ECCHI AS FUCK

Monogatari series.

Romance

Toradora/Kaichou wa Maid-sama

Sci-fi

Steins;gate

All around

Baccano, Durarara

Pointless chatter

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, Maria Holic

Military

Jormungand/Black Lagoon

Happy end

Kyousou Giga

Well he gave us a MAL link, which contains his ratings on the shows he has previously watched. He also gave an attempt at self analyzing what he thinks he liked.  Here is what I based most of my recommendations off of.

Thanks. I kind of missed it.

I'm surprised Tay haven't watched Seitokai no Ichizon Lvl 2. I'll also throw in Seitokai Yakiundomo. Though this is more on sex jokes than otaku jokes. It's not ecchi though.

• 2 weeks later...

4/5/2015 5:00p

To: My many sensei

Anime Repentance Update

From the Front Lines

Current anime: Toradora

Current episode: 14

Thoughts: This... is really fun : P. I will be extremely disappointed if Ryuuji doesn't get together with Ami, though. The mom drives me nuts. I especially like how Minori's characterization is established by her walking posture during the OP/EP animation. Edit: I liked the race around the school much more than I should have : P.

Requested Intel: Is the 2nd half of the show as good as the first half? 

Arigatou,

Tay