Make a VN - Looking for Brainstorming Team

Tay

Well, that's a good idea, too. My writing experience is still pretty minimal - I've published some poetry and short stories, and have taught a few community classes on creative writing - so I'm going on the advice of others here. From what I've heard, most writers suggest giving a writing team some room to come up with/mash together ideas (especially ideas they don't outright love). Then the writers, having come up with a basic outline, can go to a community for feedback.

Community-collaborative writing from start to finish is hard to do and takes a long time.

If we want to produce other VNs that way, I'm all for it! But for this one, I think I'm going to try the process described above: take good ideas and a team, get some space, and merge and melt until one plot comes together.

Criticism and thoughts welcome!

Oh, that's pretty kickass! Much more efficient than what I was thinking of IMHO~!

Looks and sounds like a completely solid idea to me :D

The only issue I have is it sounds familiar to me. Like Ive heard it before. (probably just me)

That's because "seven mysteries of the school" is something that comes up once in a while in japanese fiction. (But you probably know that). Probably a cultural thing.

I'm thinking about a few episodes of certain school-life anime, Hyouka is the one coming right up to my mind, I saw some in Sket Dance too...

And of course there's Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni by 07th Expansion.

All that counts is having new and good ideas for the seven mysteries. Could be a good concept. That would make either 7 routes or a kinetic, though. Might be too long.

It could be good to to have different degrees of fantasy and harmfulness in the mysteries. Like, the library one is essentially fantasy-less and harmless. We could have more dangerous mysteries that are human-caused, but also ones that are surnatural - harmless or dangerous.

That's because "seven mysteries of the school" is something that comes up once in a while in japanese fiction. (But you probably know that). Probably a cultural thing.

I'm thinking about a few episodes of certain school-life anime, Hyouka is the one coming right up to my mind, I saw some in Sket Dance too...

And of course there's Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni by 07th Expansion.

All that counts is having new and good ideas for the seven mysteries. Could be a good concept. That would make either 7 routes or a kinetic, though. Might be too long.

It could be good to to have different degrees of fantasy and harmfulness in the mysteries. Like, the library one is essentially fantasy-less and harmless. We could have more dangerous mysteries that are human-caused, but also ones that are surnatural - harmless or dangerous.

huahuahau well we don't need to make seven routes QuQ a few mysteries could just be mysteries without any characters attached and just help the protagonist move forward and reach new understandings. QuQ I don't want it to be too long either //hahabecausecgsaretoohardweh Maybe four big mysteries can be main routes and the three can be inbetween and just be whatever?

idkimnotawriter

huahuahau well we don't need to make seven routes QuQ a few mysteries could just be mysteries without any characters attached and just help the protagonist move forward and reach new understandings. QuQ I don't want it to be too long either //hahabecausecgsaretoohardweh Maybe four big mysteries can be main routes and the three can be inbetween and just be whatever?

If people (*looking at Tay*) think that going with a Seven School Mysteries setup is good, we can all throw out ideas of characters and mysteries and see what comes out of it.

Gosh darn it, people. Why do I have to like you so much? Why so many fun ideas?

Okay, so, like I said, for THIS project (I hope there will be more! Please, more!), I have to stick with my guns and run it the way I know how. For now what's going to happen is: a handful of people will take these amazing ideas to a secret google-docs location where we'll mash them up and come up with a plot we're all excited and engaged with.

Once we've got the plot, we'll bring it back here to Fuwanovel, post a teaser with some minimal plot info, and get feedback. If plot devices like "7 mysteries" make it in, and the writing team feels like it would be awesome, we'll open it up for more suggestions from this awesome community.

Sound good? I'm so excited by these ideas, and the mashups we're already seeing in the secret google-docs headquarters.

Time for me to make an appearance!

So, I believe it'd be fun to work with people here at Fuwanovel to create a VN. I didn't read every idea because of my current time issue, but they all seem pretty good so far. I, personally, keep coming with ideas for VNs I'll probably never write, so I'll share one of them with you quickly and I'll return with others soon.

This is one of the most normal-ish ideas I've come up with.

The game would be divided in two "paths", not actually routes as you can select these paths on the main menu, and each one of them leads to the story of a different character. These characters are Boy and Girl (names pending, obviously), and it'd basically be a short romance story told from the point of view of these two. Each one faces their own hardships, problems, deals with other relationships, giving 2 or 3 choices per path that could lead to a Bad End. The objective would be to reach the good end on both paths, and then an Epilogue Chapter would be unlocked in the main manu for players to see the end of the story.

This is a short, simple idea that wouldn't require much to write. I came up with it yesterday after seeing this thread. Hope you think it's any good.

Gah, I am so goddamn sleepy.

Well, here is the much improved version of my last concept. I am really proud of these concepts, which is slightly unusual for me, so I hope you guys enjoy reading about it as much as I enjoyed writing it!

Genre:

Amalgam of all kinds of fantasy and science fiction.

---

The actual story:

Fantasy Chapter -

A scientist discovers a machine hidden deep within the moon, connecting everyone on the planet for unknown purposes.

He devises a hack known as 'Reality Breaker', but is killed before he can use it to discover the Machine's purposes.

Fast forward 10 years, and a university tech student stumbles upon the hack, and in pure luck disconnects his own connection.

He unlocks all the memories within himself, and discovers Magic and has a very hazy memory of the apocalypse. At the same time, twin members of the Elf race are restored, a princess and a prince, one of them meant to be his lover someday(Yes, the prince as well. Makes it more fun >3>), and the other becoming a true friend. At the same time an old dwarven castle appears in Mount Himalayas, known only to these three people.

From here onwards, these three make their way all over the world and the dwarven castle, unlocking the pieces of the puzzle regarding the Machine and what the world actually was, disconnecting other humans along the way, and therefore restoring more and more of the world.

Science Chapter -

Takes place within the Union of Science, where everything regarding the Infinite Expanse and Sins is revealed...and that's all my currently really damn sleepy mind can come up with, heh!

--

The Infinite Expanse:

Earth was once known by another name, The Infinite Expanse.

It was a planet filled with many races and fantastic locations now considered figments of human imagination and myth. These are locations which are now considered "realistically impossible", due to the various laws of the universe which apparently govern us, even though they once had no complete hold over us.

But the main defining quality was this was a planet which could 'grow', with the strength of its inhabitants imagination, and the force of 'Magic', which this planet could hold as well its races.

As the races prospered, so did the planet expand into the universe. All the newly grown parts had their own 'atmosphere' and look, as influenced by the races. These were locations which we now know as say, Asgard, or Heaven or Hell etc. etc.

(PS: All the lands themselves had various different names, but the entirety was called the Infinite Expanse)

---

The Children of Creation:

The Children of Creation as they called themselves were comprised of many races we now consider fictional.

Elves, Dwarves, Dragons, Vampires, Werewolves, all of these and much more, were once all real!

All these races, including humans, thrived alongside each other, not without conflict, and yet, said conflicts, they always ended in peace and happiness. Happiness/peace were much more prevalent than war ever was.

These races did not rely on technology, but on a force new to the Universe, one known as Magic, which was linked to their own imaginative strengths and slightly to the laws already present in the Universe.

The races themselves were also linked together with magic, and their very souls, each individual having a true friend, or lover, or rival in each race.

They advanced at mind boggling speeds, creating new lands via magic, lands which came to be known to them as the Outer World(Of the Infinite Expanse~!) as a whole, while having individual 'sub'-names now forgotten.

Their main form of improvement was mind based, as by constantly taxing their brains they were able to maintain more powerful Magic created by imagination. The strongest warriors were said to be able to singlehandedly bring down an entire city, while at the same time take on said city's military, though they required at least a week of proper rest afterwards, if not more.

Each individual was labeled either as a craftsman or warrior, depending on what he chose to create or modify throughout his life. There were also laws in place, which ensured no damage was caused by people using Magic in unfavorable ways.

---

The Laws of the Universe and Magic:

As we know, there are various laws which govern the Universe. All of these came to be as the Universe expanded and races were born and lost to time. The newest, and most likely, the most game changing of these Laws was...Magic.

Magic allowed the Infinte Expanse and the Children to break the already established laws to a high degree of flexibility.

There were limits to Magic as well of course, which could be subverted. The limit was that a single person could not use powerful magic such as creating large worlds or destroying large amounts of things(Large as in small celestial bodies) without breaking their own minds apart and quite literally changing into a new kind of malevolent species, based on the emotion felt at that time, more on that later!

A single individual can of course do enough, such as creating armor or weapons, or houses and architecture over a period of time, faster if done with another person. They can also fight battles using Magic, creating fireballs or waterfalls or windblasts or energy blades, depending on their mental capacity. With training, they can do very powerful things, as described in the Children of Creation concept.

When several individuals focus on sharing the same idea and goal, its much easier to carry out the Magic force needed, and doesn't tax as much mental strength either. Entire countries got together this way to create new lands!

Powerful items such as the world renowned Yggdrasil Record were created, containing knowledge regarding every item created, and tips on how to create things and train the mind, also used to restore any modified item to its original state if so desired, mostly used in vandalism cases.

For all Magic was capable of though...it could never truly bring back lost life, only temporarily as ghosts at the much, at huge mental tax to the one who did so.

---

Yggdrasil Record:

One of the most powerful items ever created by the Children. It takes the shape which is easiest to read and peruse for its current...reader, a scroll for some, a book for another, a virtual AI for another.

This item contains knowledge regarding EVERYTHING in the Universe! This was actually an unintended side effect which could never be resolved, not only the Children's creations, but the other older races had their technologies recorded the minute the book was born, and its content continued to grow as more things were imagined or made.

Out of respect for the older, more ancient races, the Children never used their knowledge, and sought instead to create their own things, always! Though there were of course, some who did not comply, they were few in number, and never caused notable damage.

It is also said a different Record was created at this time, another accident, one which held knowledge regarding all of the races(and the individuals making them up) instead, those who are newly born, and those who existed before. This Record has never been found, for long, for when found it always manages to slip into the darkness as the person holding it is killed!(Who wouldn't want such a powerful item?!)

This other Record is known as two names, the official being very simple, the Forbidden Record, and the other being of public creation, the 'Holy Grail', something they could bring back passed away loved ones with.

This Record was also said to be capable of reverting Sins to their true selves, though this was never truly proven.

---

Sins of Creation:

A race born when one of the Children of Creation(Elf, human whichever) went out of control, which could be due to any emotion really, thus abusing their mental capacity beyond what it was capable of.

The Sins of Creation are many in number, but very few embody one specific emotion, and these are also the most powerful, called the Pillars of the Dark, able to feel only that emotion and NOTHING ELSE! Literally incapable of feeling anything else!

Each Sin looks the same as the person who changed, with no difference noticeable. Sins are also able to think without relation to their emotions, allowing them to act as any other race without being controlled by a sole emotion. Yet, they never use this thinking capability for good, and will always use it for nefarious deeds. Their personality is however governed by the emotions they feel. If a Sin was born due to uncontrolled happiness for example, they will constantly exhibit an insane psychotic maniacal state. If born of hatred, they will exhibit a highly oppressive and aggressive personality.

Sins cannot use Magic, but they are also completely exempt from any other common law of the universe. All they can do is erase whatever they touch from reality, layer by layer(Never all at once!). This is controllable by their thoughts, and they can choose to do so at will. Once erased, they gain the ability to use the object erased for themselves, for example, if a gun is erased, they can bring it back for their own use. These objects CANNOT be created again until the Sin holding it has been killed! They also have full control over said object, wielding it with ease!

What they can erase and use is dependent on their strength, the Pillars of Dark can wield the Union of Science's giant battleships for example, or the Magical shields utilized by the Children of Creation.

Exempt from other laws, they can pull off feats without the use of imagination, such as moving at the speed of light without tearing apart!

The only ones capable of standing up to them are united Children of Creation. A single powerful Child could do significant damage as well, maybe even win, but it would be beyond difficult.

However, they cannot be truly wiped out, ever. Only if perhaps the Children form an alliance with the Union, depends on the type of story created I guess.

Probably a true enemy of the VN type race lol.

---

Union of Science:

The Other races of the Universe, older than the New Races, and those apparently unable to use Magic(apparently! Could change later in the plot). Contains of various aliens, humanoid and otherwise.

They are also the most numerous in the Universe, their population far surpassing any other!

Their main asset is science, and they are the most technologically advanced. Their world is essentially a cyberpunk dystopic world, with quite a few people aware of the true nature of the world they are a part of.

Not much else to add as this is fairly obvious, they have all sorts of badass weaponry and what not. Mechas, huge capital battleships, you name it, they have it~!

---

The Secret Oppression:

The Union of Science of the Universe did not hold the ability to wield the power of Magic. They had imagination, and had advanced technologically with it, but could not wield the new concept the Universe had created, Magic. They were restricted to the laws already created by the Universe, unlike the new races on Earth.

After millenia spent rising to the top, for the first time, they felt fear. They saw a threat in the new races, one they had not faced in all their history.

In their paranoia, they did not even think of actually having talks with the new races, and instead in secret devised a plan to eventually wipe them off the universe.

They created a organic machine capable of holding back the imagination of the races of Earth(By connecting directly with their minds, imagine the Internet, but except connecting every organic, sentient, mind), and hid it deep within the Moon, from where it cut off the link the races had to Magic, and the connection each race had with each other.

This resulted in a apocalyptic scenario, where each part of the Outer World along with the races on them collapsed into the Void of the Universe(A place from where all things came initially, alongside the laws and concepts), never to be seen, unless the machine was disabled/destroyed, and the links restored.

Humankind, fortunate enough to be on the base part of the Infinite Expanse(Earth), survived, in short time forgetting all about that had been accomplished and all that had been...in their conscious mind.

But this knowledge survived deep within the secret parts of their mind and body which enabled them to use Magic, suppressed by the machine.

This knowledge came pouring out as fiction and religion in the new world now called Earth, thought to not actually be real, and in the case of religion, worshiped.

Humanity however, has powerful imagination, even without the addition of Magic, and thus advanced brutally fast in technology.

However, the time they were held back gave the other older races enough time to advance much more themselves, this time, for military purposes.

They did however, send powerful warriors to Earth disguised as humans, to ensure the Machine was not disabled.

But even so, they knew.

A day would come when the machine would be disabled and the Infinite Expanse and Children of Creation restored...and the rest of the Universe, would be ready, just waiting for the signal of failure sent by the warriors.

The story given in the very beginning is just a simple base, and can be completely changed if you guys want to do so, utilizing the other concepts given~!

EDIT:

Considering the fact that I am writing this at like past 12 AM, there's a huge chance I have messed up in one of concept, thereby contradicting something in another.

Let me know if I made any such mistakes! And please feel free to criticize/comment and stuff! : D

Gah, I am so goddamn sleepy.

Well, here is the much improved version of my last concept. I am really proud of these concepts, which is slightly unusual for me, so I hope you guys enjoy reading about it as much as I enjoyed writing it!

Genre:

Amalgam of all kinds of fantasy and science fiction.

---

The actual story:

Fantasy Chapter -

A scientist discovers a machine hidden deep within the moon, connecting everyone on the planet for unknown purposes.

He devises a hack known as 'Reality Breaker', but is killed before he can use it to discover the Machine's purposes.

Fast forward 10 years, and a university tech student stumbles upon the hack, and in pure luck disconnects his own connection.

He unlocks all the memories within himself, and discovers Magic and has a very hazy memory of the apocalypse. At the same time, twin members of the Elf race are restored, a princess and a prince, one of them meant to be his lover someday(Yes, the prince as well. Makes it more fun >3>), and the other becoming a true friend. At the same time an old dwarven castle appears in Mount Himalayas, known only to these three people.

From here onwards, these three make their way all over the world and the dwarven castle, unlocking the pieces of the puzzle regarding the Machine and what the world actually was, disconnecting other humans along the way, and therefore restoring more and more of the world.

Science Chapter -

Takes place within the Union of Science, where everything regarding the Infinite Expanse and Sins is revealed...and that's all my currently really damn sleepy mind can come up with, heh!

--

The Infinite Expanse:

Earth was once known by another name, The Infinite Expanse.

It was a planet filled with many races and fantastic locations now considered figments of human imagination and myth. These are locations which are now considered "realistically impossible", due to the various laws of the universe which apparently govern us, even though they once had no complete hold over us.

But the main defining quality was this was a planet which could 'grow', with the strength of its inhabitants imagination, and the force of 'Magic', which this planet could hold as well its races.

As the races prospered, so did the planet expand into the universe. All the newly grown parts had their own 'atmosphere' and look, as influenced by the races. These were locations which we now know as say, Asgard, or Heaven or Hell etc. etc.

(PS: All the lands themselves had various different names, but the entirety was called the Infinite Expanse)

---

The Children of Creation:

The Children of Creation as they called themselves were comprised of many races we now consider fictional.

Elves, Dwarves, Dragons, Vampires, Werewolves, all of these and much more, were once all real!

All these races, including humans, thrived alongside each other, not without conflict, and yet, said conflicts, they always ended in peace and happiness. Happiness/peace were much more prevalent than war ever was.

These races did not rely on technology, but on a force new to the Universe, one known as Magic, which was linked to their own imaginative strengths and slightly to the laws already present in the Universe.

The races themselves were also linked together with magic, and their very souls, each individual having a true friend, or lover, or rival in each race.

They advanced at mind boggling speeds, creating new lands via magic, lands which came to be known to them as the Outer World(Of the Infinite Expanse~!) as a whole, while having individual 'sub'-names now forgotten.

Their main form of improvement was mind based, as by constantly taxing their brains they were able to maintain more powerful Magic created by imagination. The strongest warriors were said to be able to singlehandedly bring down an entire city, while at the same time take on said city's military, though they required at least a week of proper rest afterwards, if not more.

Each individual was labeled either as a craftsman or warrior, depending on what he chose to create or modify throughout his life. There were also laws in place, which ensured no damage was caused by people using Magic in unfavorable ways.

---

The Laws of the Universe and Magic:

As we know, there are various laws which govern the Universe. All of these came to be as the Universe expanded and races were born and lost to time. The newest, and most likely, the most game changing of these Laws was...Magic.

Magic allowed the Infinte Expanse and the Children to break the already established laws to a high degree of flexibility.

There were limits to Magic as well of course, which could be subverted. The limit was that a single person could not use powerful magic such as creating large worlds or destroying large amounts of things(Large as in small celestial bodies) without breaking their own minds apart and quite literally changing into a new kind of malevolent species, based on the emotion felt at that time, more on that later!

A single individual can of course do enough, such as creating armor or weapons, or houses and architecture over a period of time, faster if done with another person. They can also fight battles using Magic, creating fireballs or waterfalls or windblasts or energy blades, depending on their mental capacity. With training, they can do very powerful things, as described in the Children of Creation concept.

When several individuals focus on sharing the same idea and goal, its much easier to carry out the Magic force needed, and doesn't tax as much mental strength either. Entire countries got together this way to create new lands!

Powerful items such as the world renowned Yggdrasil Record were created, containing knowledge regarding every item created, and tips on how to create things and train the mind, also used to restore any modified item to its original state if so desired, mostly used in vandalism cases.

For all Magic was capable of though...it could never truly bring back lost life, only temporarily as ghosts at the much, at huge mental tax to the one who did so.

---

Yggdrasil Record:

One of the most powerful items ever created by the Children. It takes the shape which is easiest to read and peruse for its current...reader, a scroll for some, a book for another, a virtual AI for another.

This item contains knowledge regarding EVERYTHING in the Universe! This was actually an unintended side effect which could never be resolved, not only the Children's creations, but the other older races had their technologies recorded the minute the book was born, and its content continued to grow as more things were imagined or made.

Out of respect for the older, more ancient races, the Children never used their knowledge, and sought instead to create their own things, always! Though there were of course, some who did not comply, they were few in number, and never caused notable damage.

It is also said a different Record was created at this time, another accident, one which held knowledge regarding all of the races(and the individuals making them up) instead, those who are newly born, and those who existed before. This Record has never been found, for long, for when found it always manages to slip into the darkness as the person holding it is killed!(Who wouldn't want such a powerful item?!)

This other Record is known as two names, the official being very simple, the Forbidden Record, and the other being of public creation, the 'Holy Grail', something they could bring back passed away loved ones with.

This Record was also said to be capable of reverting Sins to their true selves, though this was never truly proven.

---

Sins of Creation:

A race born when one of the Children of Creation(Elf, human whichever) went out of control, which could be due to any emotion really, thus abusing their mental capacity beyond what it was capable of.

The Sins of Creation are many in number, but very few embody one specific emotion, and these are also the most powerful, called the Pillars of the Dark, able to feel only that emotion and NOTHING ELSE! Literally incapable of feeling anything else!

Each Sin looks the same as the person who changed, with no difference noticeable. Sins are also able to think without relation to their emotions, allowing them to act as any other race without being controlled by a sole emotion. Yet, they never use this thinking capability for good, and will always use it for nefarious deeds. Their personality is however governed by the emotions they feel. If a Sin was born due to uncontrolled happiness for example, they will constantly exhibit an insane psychotic maniacal state. If born of hatred, they will exhibit a highly oppressive and aggressive personality.

Sins cannot use Magic, but they are also completely exempt from any other common law of the universe. All they can do is erase whatever they touch from reality, layer by layer(Never all at once!). This is controllable by their thoughts, and they can choose to do so at will. Once erased, they gain the ability to use the object erased for themselves, for example, if a gun is erased, they can bring it back for their own use. These objects CANNOT be created again until the Sin holding it has been killed! They also have full control over said object, wielding it with ease!

What they can erase and use is dependent on their strength, the Pillars of Dark can wield the Union of Science's giant battleships for example, or the Magical shields utilized by the Children of Creation.

Exempt from other laws, they can pull off feats without the use of imagination, such as moving at the speed of light without tearing apart!

The only ones capable of standing up to them are united Children of Creation. A single powerful Child could do significant damage as well, maybe even win, but it would be beyond difficult.

However, they cannot be truly wiped out, ever. Only if perhaps the Children form an alliance with the Union, depends on the type of story created I guess.

Probably a true enemy of the VN type race lol.

---

Union of Science:

The Other races of the Universe, older than the New Races, and those apparently unable to use Magic(apparently! Could change later in the plot). Contains of various aliens, humanoid and otherwise.

They are also the most numerous in the Universe, their population far surpassing any other!

Their main asset is science, and they are the most technologically advanced. Their world is essentially a cyberpunk dystopic world, with quite a few people aware of the true nature of the world they are a part of.

Not much else to add as this is fairly obvious, they have all sorts of badass weaponry and what not. Mechas, huge capital battleships, you name it, they have it~!

---

The Secret Oppression:

The Union of Science of the Universe did not hold the ability to wield the power of Magic. They had imagination, and had advanced technologically with it, but could not wield the new concept the Universe had created, Magic. They were restricted to the laws already created by the Universe, unlike the new races on Earth.

After millenia spent rising to the top, for the first time, they felt fear. They saw a threat in the new races, one they had not faced in all their history.

In their paranoia, they did not even think of actually having talks with the new races, and instead in secret devised a plan to eventually wipe them off the universe.

They created a organic machine capable of holding back the imagination of the races of Earth(By connecting directly with their minds, imagine the Internet, but except connecting every organic, sentient, mind), and hid it deep within the Moon, from where it cut off the link the races had to Magic, and the connection each race had with each other.

This resulted in a apocalyptic scenario, where each part of the Outer World along with the races on them collapsed into the Void of the Universe(A place from where all things came initially, alongside the laws and concepts), never to be seen, unless the machine was disabled/destroyed, and the links restored.

Humankind, fortunate enough to be on the base part of the Infinite Expanse(Earth), survived, in short time forgetting all about that had been accomplished and all that had been...in their conscious mind.

But this knowledge survived deep within the secret parts of their mind and body which enabled them to use Magic, suppressed by the machine.

This knowledge came pouring out as fiction and religion in the new world now called Earth, thought to not actually be real, and in the case of religion, worshiped.

Humanity however, has powerful imagination, even without the addition of Magic, and thus advanced brutally fast in technology.

However, the time they were held back gave the other older races enough time to advance much more themselves, this time, for military purposes.

They did however, send powerful warriors to Earth disguised as humans, to ensure the Machine was not disabled.

But even so, they knew.

A day would come when the machine would be disabled and the Infinite Expanse and Children of Creation restored...and the rest of the Universe, would be ready, just waiting for the signal of failure sent by the warriors.

The story given in the very beginning is just a simple base, and can be completely changed if you guys want to do so, utilizing the other concepts given~!

EDIT:

Considering the fact that I am writing this at like past 12 AM, there's a huge chance I have messed up in one of concept, thereby contradicting something in another.

Let me know if I made any such mistakes! And please feel free to criticize/comment and stuff! : D

Wow really cool idea.

Thank you!

But uh

Crap, I just realized that these concepts might not be possible due to the limitations.

I completely forgot about those ;o;

Oh well, maybe these concepts will at least help you guys think of some stuff.

Will try to come up with a few more concepts! This time with the limitations in mind >3>;

Will post em in the morning! Or sometime later IDK

Wow really cool idea.

Well I have a balls to the wall amazing idea! :D

The story starts at the funeral of his grandfather. His grandfather was a self made Wall-Street man. The MC mentions during the introduction something along the lines of, "He was a tyrant, but isn't every Wall-Street man? He was born from blood as common as dirt, yet Wall-Street adopted him as its heir. If there is one thing I learned from his life, it was that success is a predetermined gift given to you at birth, but in order to maintain the gift you must trade yourself." The MC's father was the first born son of the grandfather. However, due to him marring a women that was disapproved of, and for not following his fathers foot steps as a trader, instead becoming a literary scholar, he was disinherited. The MC is a 25, 26 year old University grad. He graduated from Princeton University. Anyway, the grandfather promised the MC's father that he would give his grandson (the MC) an inheritance if he was given custody. So from the ages of approximately 12-18 the MC lived with the grandfather. Anyway, naturally he was raised to be a proper gentleman and to follow the footsteps as a trader. Okay, back to the funeral, or post funeral. The MC is given ownership to a multi-billion dollar hedgefund (since he was the legitimate heir) as his inheritance.

Okay, now that plot stuff is out of the way I would like to discuss what the themes of the story. The Main character is on a search for whether honesty actually exists. Growing up from a prominent trader he learns that lies should only be avoided if they can get you sued, but is basically encouraged to lie to get a head. However, he is constantly turning over advice his father gave him, (lol Great Gatsby reference :P) that honesty is the true road for happiness. He himself often lies in inside deals with partners to profit his corporation (after he becomes chairman). And all he sees among his friends, and co-workers are liars (like himself). But what he is always looking for is honesty. He usually is very cynical about honesty but is always searching for it in other people. Another crucial theme is that he has this voice in his head that always encouraged him to take the sociopathic choice, while he is always debating with that voice on whether he should. The voice in his head is essentially the voice of his grandfather.

Anyway, the way I see it there can be two endings, the one where he follows his grandfathers path and becomes a sociopathic trader who is obsessed with maintaining the predetermined gift known as success, but as a result gives up on honesty. Or he ends up finding honesty (in an act, in a person, etc), and it persuades him to change his current life style.

I will be very firm about one thing considering this story.I don't want a romantic love interest/heroine. In the good ending where the main character does find honesty I would like it to be a bit more subtle, and definitely not something cliched where he finds honesty in love, (that very idea makes me want to throw up). Here is an example where he can find honesty and not fall in love with someone: He somehow ends up befriending a priest after seeing him commit a selfless act on the street. It's not the priests religious words, but his actions and poor life style that might persuade the MC to change his life style. Hell, he could also witness someone save a stranger or something. I don't exactly know how, but I definitely DO NOT want any romance.

@eclipsezero<br style=font-size: 9pt;">

Thank you!

But uh

Crap, I just realized that these concepts might not be possible due to the limitations.

I completely forgot about those ;o;

Oh well, maybe these concepts will at least help you guys think of some stuff.

Will try to come up with a few more concepts! This time with the limitations in mind >3>;

Will post em in the morning! Or sometime later IDK

So I've said this to you before, but you've got a great mind for world creation. It's really cool. While, yes, it would be hard to make something like this on our budget, that doesn't mean it can't happen in the future : )

Epic,sir. Thank you!

@Via

Each one faces their own hardships, problems, deals with other relationships, giving 2 or 3 choices per path that could lead to a Bad End. The objective would be to reach the good end on both paths, and then an Epilogue Chapter would be unlocked in the main manu for players to see the end of the story.

This will definitely factor into our discussion. Thank you!

@Zalor

Anyway, the way I see it there can be two endings, the one where he follows his grandfathers path and becomes a sociopathic trader who is obsessed with maintaining the predetermined gift known as success, but as a result gives up on honesty. Or he ends up finding honesty (in an act, in a person, etc), and it persuades him to change his current life style...

I will be very firm about one thing considering this story.I don't want a romantic love interest/heroine. In the good ending where the main character does find honesty I would like it to be a bit more subtle, and definitely not something cliched where he finds honesty in love, (that very idea makes me want to throw up).

Well, sir, it was hard to just quote two paragraphs of that! Great idea. Reminded me of Gatsby before you even made the comment : ). This could make a great VN, but also a great novel. Have you ever considered writing it in that format?

An idea that I have been toying around with for a while. To be honest, I'm better at creating settings and plot elements then actual characters.

Timeline (formation of the setting, year is not important, but I will use 2017 as a starting year) Read first please!!!!

Mid 2017 - After years of hard work new scientific breakthrough is made by a joint Japanese-American research team. Discovery of unused parts of the brain. With that came some clues to the evolutionary history of humans.

Late 2017 - Because of increased funding research has gone at a good rate, but results point to a worrying conclusion, that there may have never been a single Homo Sapiens race, and that there may have been several sub races that are convergently evolved into the race known as Homo Sapiens

Mid 2019 - Hypothesis of Late 2017 finalized due to complete mapping of the previously unknown regions of the human brain. In the beginning, there were 3 species of humans that converged into the blanket term known as Homo Sapiens. Because of the very high level of genetic compatibility, there are no issues with hybrids between the sub-species,

Homo Divius; members of this genus posses potential for above average mental capacity as well as longevity. Markers indicate that Divius make up about 25% of the population.

Homo Mortalis; members of this genus are average, and posses no particular potential for anything. Markers indicate that Mortalis make up 72% of the population.

Homo Regius; members of this genus appear posses some sort of potential but it remains unknown, members of this genus are very hard to differentiate from Mortalis. Markers indicate that Regius makes up 2% of the population

Because of the highly controversial nature of his hypothesis, the research team of the project was ridiculed by the world and scientific community. They hypothesis is rejected, as well as mapping data (Though it is seized by the American government).

Early 2020 - Research team fully disbanded, head of team commits suicide because of supposed failure of his life work.

Mid 2024 - The one person who believed in the team decided to prove the hypothesis and the research true. She decides to reactivate the closed parts of the mind in order to achieve that goal. Goes to work at top secret government facility in order to achieve that goal

April 23 2034 - After many years of research in solitude, the person listed above succeeds in reactivating the previously shut down parts of the mind in the early hours of the morning. It turns out that she is a Reguis. The process kills her. Actually it blows up the entire facility and all their research (so now no one knows what is going on). The effects of the activation are felt immediately. That day was known as "Argent Dawn"

Mid 2034 - Full implications of activation are beginning to show

Late 2034 - Mid 2039 - Slow deterioration of society, Regius humans meet several times to attempt to stop this (sadly for them they used the wrong methods).

Dec 24 2039 - After many years of deterioration, the world is on the brink of a total war (possibly resulting in genocide against the Divius). The Regius all gather together and use their souls to create the "Decretum Terra" to split the world

2040 - 2051 - Shit gets real for the lower world. It's technology is reduced to that of World War II.

2051 Onward - Lower world constantly attempts to gain access to the upper world. Constant fighting between the upper and lower worlds.

July 17th 2082 - Lower World forces gain access to the Upper world

July 17th 2085 - 3 years after the day the Lower world spilled into the upper, and losing the war, the Divius of the upper world attempt to replicate the "Decretum Terra" and run to the moon. Suffice to say, it fails, and much of the Upper World falls into the Lower world.

World ends.

Failed because of 2 reasons:

1. Divius do not have the authority to access that plane

2. Demons were still there. actually, just one who had consumed all the rest and was waiting to return to the world)

The Divius there (most of the Divius population) managed to destroy the demon in mutual destruction, and all but one of the remaining 17 Divius towers collapse onto the lower world

July 18th 2085 Onwards - Still thinking about it.

-Tief Blau

Terms

"Argent Dawn" - April 23 2034. The day came to it's name because of the activation of the lost parts of the human mind. What had really happened, was that the female researcher activated a trigger in the evolutionary process of Homo Sapiens which would re-split the race into three. Divius humans have their souls manifested. Usually in the form of weapons. They also live longer, and become smarter and stronger. Regius gain knowledge of the future, but are forbidden to speak of it. Their task is to prevent the end of the world using their "Power of the Kings". Mortalis gains nothing (actually they do gain the ability to ignore any Edits of Regius provided they are aware of it). Since they make up much of the population, this could cause issues.

"Decretum Terra" (and why it failed) - During the deterioration of society, the Regius humans decided that they would use their power and attempt to fiddle with the Noosphere. What they were trying to do was to take all the fear and hatred that had developed between. So they created an Edict and attempted to send the fears and hatred of the people away several times to another place. It didn't work (in fact, it made the problems worse). When it became apparent, most of the Regius met on Dec 24 2039 for a final solution. They would trade their souls for power to reshape the world so there would be peace. What ended up happening was that they all died, but they created a network of tall tall tower-cities that the Divius would reside in, and the Mortalis population would remain in the world (hence "Upper" and "Lower").

Well, sucks for Regius, because their fiddling with the Noosphere cause this to fail too. They had sent the fear and hatred elsewhere to some other plane where the fear and hatred manifested into demons. That same plane was where the towers were created then bought into the world, along with the demons. Since the Divius were all moved into the towers are part of the Decretum Terra they were not effected, but the lower world (Mortalis and the Regius that didn't go) were ravaged for the next eleven years as the Mortalis attempts to kill the demons without being destroyed themselves. They succeed, and once they do they immediately start fighting to get into the towers to what they believe is a "Paradise"

Lower World Society

I don't feel like typing much for this, so just think of a cross between ソ・ラ・ノ・ヲ・ト and Muv-Luv Chronicles

Major factions

1. America (Collapsing democracy, but still around!)

2. Japan (Emperor has power, think Muv-Luv since it's close to what I had envisioned)

3. China (Imperial China)

4. Euro (ソ・ラ・ノ・ヲ・ト, many countries, many fights)

5. Middle East (OPEC countries)

6. Surviving Regius (in hiding)

Roughly the same level of tech between each faction. Much of the world has been irradiated by use of nukes against the demons. Low population ~0.5 billion.

Constant fighting. Mostly Monarchies in place. Little resources remaining are spent on fighting.

Upper World Society

Because they were unaffected by the demons, they enjoy a high level of technology. Because of the scarcity of materials needed to build advanced technology, the Divius are very efficient. The Divius also have a working Noocracy in place as their government. But because of a low initial population, and lack of anything to do, the Divius are beginning to become like a cross of Agartha (星を追う子ども) where much of their towers are mostly empty, and like society in "Coral of the Moon" where most people have just lost interest in everything (not a spoiler, it shows up in like the 3rd sentence).

Low population ~200k people

Because of one of the provisions of Decretum Terra, the Upper World must prevent Lower World denizens from reaching the upper world. They have created an elite unit of fighters known as the "Blood Knights" to deal with Lower World invasions.

What do you think of it for a setting? I've been muddling about it for quite a long time.

I can post my own scenario later if you guys want

@Zalor

Well, sir, it was hard to just quote two paragraphs of that! Great idea. Reminded me of Gatsby before you even made the comment : ). This could make a great VN, but also a great novel. Have you ever considered writing it in that format?

Thanks, :)/> and actually I have. :3 That's why I was so adamant about there being no love interest, since originally it wasn't suppose to be a VN. But, I figured out of all the stories I created in my head but never wrote down, this would be the best suited if put in VN format.

An idea that I have been toying around with for a while. To be honest, I'm better at creating settings and plot elements then actual characters.

That should be fine, since the whole point of a group project is so people can work on what they are strongest in. Everyone is weak at something creatively, but the nice thing about group projects is that you can find capable people to fill in the holes. :)

Wow, these are some really great ideas from anyone! I'll contribute to the project when I come up with something lol. But I'd be willing to lend a hand in anything else you may need help with.

Btw, is this going to be done with Ren'Py?

That's the current plan, yes. Are you a Ren'Pyer?

This is from an aborted attempt to write a VN I started a while back - as in three years ago... (lost the artist, programmer to rl)

Paths

Path of the Family (Choosing to side with the Kirishimas, against the Mangekyou Family)

Path of Sorcery (Choosing to save Miya from the Sakai Family when they set out to purge the area in readiness for combating Eiji to steal back the family crests)

Path of the Broken Seal (Choosing to awaken the demonic essence within and marry Yuzuha)

True Path (unlocked only after all other paths are completed path where demonic essence is awakened, Eiji marries Yuzuha, but Yachiru survives, allowing a truce to be formed in order to defeat the government forces intent on purging the supernatural community)

Non-variable events

Death of Osakawa-sensei on Day two at Eiji’s hands

Murder of Miya by the Sakai Family on Day 5 (except on Path of Sorcery)

Assault upon Eiji - wherever he is - by the Sakai Family on day 7

(World Event) Prime Minister dies due to a curse cast by a renegade magus on day 10

Guild convinces the new Prime Minister to allow their oversight over all magi in Japan in exchange for their services in purging the rest of the supernatural community on day 13

Government intervention on Day 17

Assassination of Yachiru at night on Day 17 (except in True Path when Eiji is able to prevent it/ In Path of the Seal, Eiji witnesses it and is blamed for it due to his known association with Yuzuha)

Beginning of factional war on day 19

Death of Amaya on Day 20 (if you follow the Broken Seal, Eiji kills her. If you get on the True path, she lives)

Destruction of the school on the final day

Story

Prologue-

Slaughter at the Kirishima Mansion

Sealing of the Demon

Day 1-

Choice: Look for a Phone, Wait, Look for the Home

Wait =Family (1)-

Amaya meets Eiji at the station

Eiji broods about his father’s death at the riverside

Amaya takes Eiji to an arcade to lift his spirits

Amaya and Eiji enter the Kirishima home

Yachiru ‘greets’ Eiji by engaging him in a surprise attack

Yachiru scolds Amaya

Amaya, Eiji, Yachiru, and Mia discuss the difficulties between the supernatural factions as well as the increasing tension with the government

Eiji heads to bed, pleading exhaustion

Phone =Sorcery(1)-

Eiji walks into town, noting the traditional surroundings

Eiji enters the shopping arcade, remarking internally on the variety of dress amongst the students there

Eiji is soaked with water by Miya, who invites him in

Eiji sees the Guild symbol inside the bar and they converse about their experiences as children of magi

Eiji receives a kimono once possessed by Miya’s brother and leaves, forgetting to ask to use the phone

Eiji reaches a rotting shrine and is overtaken by a violent sensory memory

Yachiru appears and challenges Eiji to a match

Eiji follows Yachiru to the Kirishimas

Amaya greets Eiji and is scolded by Yachiru

Amaya knocks Eiji unconscious in retaliation for the rudeness of his thoughts

Home=Seal (1)-

Eiji enters the town, noting the traditional surroundings

Eiji walks the back streets and catches sight of a young girl in an old-fashioned western dress

Eiji greets her and briefly converses with her, a feeling of nostalgia and instinctive wariness toward her

combining to confuse him

The girl, Yuzuha, tells him they will meet again and departs

Eiji reaches a rotting shrine and is overtaken by a violent sensory memory, combining with a sense of the girl he met earlier as being connected to that memory

Yachiru appears and challenges Eiji to a match

Eiji follows Yachiru to the Kirishimas, despite his desire to explore what he felt at the shrine

Amaya greets Eiji and is scolded by Yachiru

Eiji broods on the events and emotions of the day and is knocked unconscious by Amaya for ignoring her

Only after full completion =True (1)-

(nothing yet)

Day 2

Eiji awakes in his room.

Family-

Mia greets Eiji as he exits his room, inviting him to a pre-breakfast sparring match

Mia reveals the other side of her personality during the vicious fight that ensues

Eiji eats breakfast with his sisters, chatting actively with them about events in the town

Eiji goes to his new school for the first time

Eiji meets his homeroom teacher, Osakawa-sensei and greets his classmates

Rio, a classmate invites him to lunch, but Eiji declines when Osakawa-sensei asks to speak with him

Osakawa-sensei attacks Eiji, revealing himself as a Guild magus

During the ensuing combat, Osakawa-sensei dies

Eiji disposes of the corpse using an entropy spell

Eiji returns home, and tells his sisters of the worrying incident

Yachiru orders Mia to hunt down and eliminate all Guild magi in the town

Eiji goes to bed

Sorcery-

Seal-

World Rules

Supernatural- The supernatural is not generally acknowledged by the public due to the wave of skepticism that rules much of the public consciousness and the fact that supernaturals go out of their way to remain aloof from human society. The term ‘supernatural’ refers to any person, creature, or being that exists outside of common sense and current scientific understanding. This not only includes magi, demon-bloods, and non-human sentients but also the hidden arm of the Catholic Church simply known as the Purgers.

The Purgers- The Purgers are heretical priests given the mandate to use any means in the destruction of harmful supernatural beings. In the Western world, they are very powerful, but their influence in Asia and Japan is almost nonexistent. Most Purgers are magi trained in special disciplines, though there are also a large number of mundane assassins in their employ. The Purgers enjoy a warily neutral relationship with the Guild, though in times past they sought to destroy any magi other than their own entirely.

Demon Clans- Demons frequently mate with humans, creating children with powerful bloodlines. During the Sengoku era, many high-ranking noble and samurai families had demonic bloodlines in their service. The survivors of those times became the founding members of the Demon Clans. The nation has often used their members in war on the front lines. In particular, during WWII, the various Clans sent the lion’s share of their male members into the meat grinder. Due to this, the Demon Clans are preserved against those who would wish to destroy them by those who find them useful. Frequently, members of the Clans are hired out as assassins or mercenaries by factions around the world, and several clans have formed criminal organizations in and out of Japan.

Demon Hunters- In the ancient past, when those with demonic blood first began to appear amongst humanity, Demon Hunters began to appear to combat them. The exact origins of the Hunters as they exist now are forgotten, though the fact that many of the families seem to possess divine blood or unique psychic abilities seems to indicate that such people existed as natural opponents to the Demon Clans. During the Tokugawa era, many of these families gained formal recognition in his service, acting as a dampening influence on the power of the Demonic Clans during the Shogunate. Today, their primary function is as bodyguards for politicians and executioners for those with demonic blood who cause harm to society. They have close relations with the current government, though recent internal dialog in the ruling party speaking of revealing the supernatural to the general public has caused a rift to form. In the time since the opening of Japan to the world, their role has also extended to hunting magi who have caused harm to society or drawn attention to themselves from the public.

The Guild- An organization based in Venice that oversees the greater proportion of the world’s magi with the stated purpose of preserving magical knowledge, and the more pragmatic purpose of preventing any magus from revealing himself to the general public. The only restrictions placed on members are to avoid attention from the normal populace and to avoid excessive conflict amongst themselves. Generally, magi not within the Guild are frowned upon, and in a large number of cases, hunted. The Guild has extended itself into Asia, but as of yet its influence in Japan is almost nonexistent.

Rogue Magi- Magi who refuse to answer to the Guild. In the past century and a half, large numbers of them have migrated to Japan, breeding with the locals, and even going so far as to change their names and alter their physical appearance to match the locals.

Magic Crests- The favorite method of magi families for passing down magical knowledge and ability. They function as ‘libraries’ in the form of a stigmata on the body of a magus and grant a trained magus all the knowledge of those who possessed the crest before them. Over time, as bloodlines intermingle and crests are often combined into one, making the ‘library’ ever more extensive and powerful. Magi who don’t inherit a Crest usually create their own. Ancient families like the Sakai family often possess crests that cover much of the family head’s body, indicating the sheer number of crests combined into one over the course of generations.

The Sakai Family- A magi family that has existed for better than two thousand years, possessing bloodlines from just about every culture that has ever existed. They change their name frequently as they change locations, and for that reason the true extent of the knowledge they possess is often overlooked. In the middle of the twentieth century, the family had a falling out with the Guild due to stolen research and chose to flee to Japan rather than suffer any further theft of their family’s extensive knowledge. The Sakai Family’s crest extends throughout the body of the family head, infecting even the organs. To make it worse, the crest type used by the Sakai family is made from a mixture of demonic and draconic material, thus requiring the family head to take a catalyst that slowly adapts his or her body to the crest. Because of this, in a very real sense the head of the Sakai Family is not human, and past heads have lived over a century and a half before the alteration caused by the catalyst reaches a point where they are forced to hand the crest on to the next generation or risk its knowledge being lost to the Family. Those few heads that weren’t killed outright by power struggles are thought to be still alive, though no one is entirely certain, as those that did manage to survive long enough to pass the Crest on of their own will were paranoid survivors by nature.

Magic- The definition of magic is power that bends reality to the will of the user. There are hundreds of variations, as many as there are cultures and sentient races. What an individual can do is based on the power he or she is born with, the strength of his or her will, and the nature of his or her understanding of and with the world. As an example, if a person does not understand fire, that person can not call or control fire. Such understanding can be gained through knowledge, experience, bloodline, or through the cycle of rebirth. Since gaining an understanding of something sufficient to manipulate it with magic requires intensive study and a thorough comprehension of its nature, humans - with their short lifespans - create magic crests and other such methods of passing down that knowledge so that future generations can expand upon it. It is for this reason that humanity is so much more versatile than the other races, as those same races are limited by their own nature and their comprehension of reality. Whereas a magic crest allows a human to inherit another person’s comprehension of reality and make it their own. Thus, even though human magic is weaker in power than that of a demon or an archangel, its versatility allows the human a chance to match such a being.

The Fallen- Members of demonic bloodlines that are complete or near-complete throwbacks to the demon that originated them. The qualities of such people include possessing physical abilities far in excess of even those possessed by their brethren, intelligence far beyond human capacity, and a central impulse that is thought to represent that which is central to the demon that sired the bloodline.

The Kirishimas- A Demon Hunter family that owns a controlling share in the ‘security company’ known as the Kirishima Corporation. They are given an exception to the law banning the carrying of firearms by civilians, thus allowing them to effectively utilize the military training even the lowest member is given to the fullest. Though their powers have declined, they are descendents of Amaterasu, and those of the head family often possess divine powers far beyond their lesser cousins. In particular, the family head is taught how to call upon the power of their bloodline to cast a forbidden divine spell known as the Gaze of Amaterasu. This spell, in exchange for a portion of the caster’s destined lifespan, allows them to seal or destroy an enemy of demonic blood in an instant. Because the cost is higher to destroy, generally it is used to seal the target. However, the second cost of the spell is that the one sealed will be reborn to a member of the Kirishima Family within a few years of the seal’s formation. This reborn life possesses its spiritual demonic bloodline, sealed by the power of the Kirishima bloodline as well as any other it possesses. Because of this, these children are often mentally unstable or frequently ill, to the point where most die in early childhood. The exact portion of the lifespan taken is determined by the power of the one being sealed or destroyed. In the case of the demon sealed in the prologue, it took three quarters of the caster’s remaining lifespan.

The Mangekyou Family - The most powerful Demonic Clan in Japan, though there are many demons in the various members’ blood, their common thread is the original demon that founded the bloodline. While little is known of this original demon, this is not because it has never been encountered. In fact, it has been encountered so many times in human history that it has come to be associated with the full moon in every pre-historic human culture, and many more advanced ones as well. Madness, emotion run wild, power unleashed. All of those concepts are thought to be embodied by that demon. However, the Fallen amongst the Mangekyou Family all share a single trait… a lack of impulse. They are people that lack the fierceness of impulse, of lust, of hunger, and of emotion that humans are capable of. Because of this, if they are given a vector early on in life, they will continue in that manner throughout the rest of their existence, pursuing with all their intellect simply because of inertia. They are perfectionists, their strongest emotion contempt for those unable to approach their skill. Unlike most Fallen, those belonging to the Mangekyou Family are not sealed or killed, but rather shaped in a direction the family head decides. The Mangekyou Family served Nobunaga and Hideyoshi after him, but were forced into obscurity after the Toyotomi’s fall. Unlike most of the Demonic Clans, the Mangekyou have not involved themselves in illegal activities. Instead, they seem to prefer the business world, possessing a controlling interest in any number of companies and enormous amounts of wealth generated by wise investment. It is rumored that the current family head is a Fallen specialized for business and economics due to a sudden sharp rise in the family’s income. In the past, they seem to have possessed a close relationship with the Kirishima family, though that is not the case now.

I already have part of this written (and the brainstorming was mostly an afterthought, as I started writing it and basically did the brainstorming to give purpose to what I'd written). Since I wrote the brainstorming for my personal use and reference when I went back later, it isn't really suitable to reading by anyone else... but meh. *Clephas makes a face* I'd forgotten that my old brainstorming process for fiction was even more out there than my current one. It would be easier just to post a sample scene, but brainstorming was the request.

Edit: I was writing this before I realized how fickle enthusiasm could be. Well, I already knew from being a fansubber just how easily people could abandon a project, but I hadn't realized that would apply to paying work as well... *at the time, Clephas had put forth several grand worth of his own money to pay the artist and programmer, but they both jumped ship on him* Fortunately, I'd only set the money aside, not actually paid them.