Agarest: Generations of War on Steam Greenlight!

eclipsezero

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136433118

UPVOTEUPVOTEUPVOTE

JUST

OH GOD

UPVOTE

There could probably have been a more interesting game chosen, but if this succeeds, we might see other console JRPG's on PC as well <3 NieR anyone? Persona?

Info on the game straight from the Greenlight page:

Agarest: Generations of War is a turn-based Strategy Role-Playing Game (SRPG) in which the player guides a family of heroes through five generations. At the end of each generation the player will choose a girl for their hero to marry, but only those who the hero has developed a relationship with can be selected. The Agarest story is an epic fantasy spanning multiple generations, but with a lot of humour and frequent shifts of tone from the more serious to funnier moments.

Story:

Leonhardt has pledged his soul, and those of his descendants, to sealing the five Pillars that exist on the five continents of Agarest. Is it "light" or "darkness" that waits at the end of the battle fought by Leonhardt and his descendants? The answer lies in the paths that they walk.

In this game, you adventure across the five continents of Agarest, through five generations of Leonhardt’s descendants. One main character appears on each continent. That character is descended from the previous generation’s character and their chosen spouse.

Battle System: Extended Turn Battle!

Choose your Battlefield!

Players can set the field in which a battle takes place. The number of fields the player can select will increase as the scenario progresses.

Not only does the shape of the field change, but they also carry various positive and negative effects, such as 'Increased Attack Power' and 'Decreased Defence', letting players choose tiles that match their play style.

Movement phase

Movement is made along the board grid and players need to think strategically to place their characters in a position that will give them the strongest advantage against the enemy.

Once movements for all characters have been input, everything moves at the same time, including enemies. Once a battle has begun, players cannot run away. All enemies must be eliminated for the battle to end. Eliminating all enemies will result in a successful battle. If all player characters are eliminated, however, the result is a game over.

Moving other units into the Extended Areas that have already been designated to units allows for coordinated attacks. When certain conditions are met, players can also use combo attacks.

When enemy or party members fail to win a battle by attacking, the turn is over. Ending turns quickly awards players bonuses.

Attack Phase

Skills

Damage and defeat enemies using the character's equipped skills.

Items

Use items possessed by the character to attack and to heal.

Idle

Once an attack is complete, the turn moves to the next character.

When all characters, including enemies, become idle, the Battle Phase is over.

Soul Breeding:

Depending on the partner chosen by the player, and the various features selected, the appearance and abilities possessed by the player’s descendants will change.

Not only do the routes and crossroads that appear during gameplay change, the Link Gauge (which affects the ending), popularity of the heroine, and final enemy also change.

Presentation:

Illustration Events:

Players will be able to enjoy events, and understand which character is talking and the relationships between each of the characters by using the following:

• Dividing the screen in three, while using high-resolution backgrounds

• Displaying a single illustration on a single screen

Animated movie cut scenes:

• There will also be beautiful, high-resolution movies.

• At the end of each generation, a movie about the selected heroine will be played, showing various effects and animations.

• The game uses high-resolution movies created with video drawing technology by CRI Middleware.

• Lovers of Japanese anime can enjoy over 30 minutes of high quality cut-scenes spread throughout the game.

• The 12 heroines within the game each have their own animation movie to be unlocked. Once unlocked they can be viewed again via the main menu for the player’s enjoyment

Over 100 types of characters including enemy monsters throughout the game. Form powerful alliances and recruit enemies to your party to create a powerful squad to deal with every situation.

Gallery:

• The game includes a total of more than 800 types of items.

• Items are obtained through various means, such as defeating enemies and fighting a certain number of battles.

• Finding new party members also awards players special items, which are then viewable in the gallery.

• In addition to the gallery, some voices heard throughout the game can also be played back.

Multiple Endings:

• Routes, along with the value of the Link Gauge, will change depending on selections made during events.

• The ending will also change depending on the value of the Link Gauge.

• One of four endings, including the 'real ending', will play upon completion depending on certain requirements met while playing the game.

• There are also individual endings for each female ally character.

UPDATED VERSION OF INFO, HAS STUFF REGARDING THE PC BUILD~!

At the dawn of time, the world of Agarest was plunged into a terrible war between the forces of good and evil. Entire races fought and died for their divine masters, ending in the total destruction of the world. The victorious Gods of light unified their defeated foes, creating a new world and sealing their broken bodies into an eternity of darkness.

With the ancient wars fading into distant memory, all have forgotten the evil slumbering beneath their feet, but the darkness remembers. It watches. It waits. The seal that held the evil for aeons is fading and war is again raging among the Kingdoms of Men.

Leonhardt, an officer in the Gridamas Army is disillusioned by the brutal war against the races of the Frontier. Coming across a young elven girl about to be killed by his men, Leonhardt betrays his own nation, selling his soul in an attempt to rescue her.

Now, Leonhardt must become the first to cross the continents since ancient times on a quest to defeat the forces of darkness and renew the seal. The dark road ahead is paved with betrayal, death and sacrifice, but the light of love and companionship will guide him on his journey.

• Choose the path of darkness or light through a truly epic story spanning 5 generations and featuring a massive 60+ hours of gameplay

• Battle hundreds of different creatures using an array of character abilities, in compelling and strategic turn-based combat

• Control the battlefield in the Extended Turn Battle System; position your team and link characters for awesome combo attacks and use your skills and items to destroy your enemies!

• Unite with your chosen heroine using the “soul breed” system and together shape the fate of the next generation of heroes

• Collect hundreds of items and weapons, and harness the power of alchemy to vastly improve equipment

• Build the ultimate army of warriors and master Extra Skills, Special Arts and Over Kills to defeat colossal enemies!

• Enjoy the vast selection of stunning cut scenes and unlock over 800 items in the in-game gallery

• Command your destiny as your actions and decisions lead you to discover the many different possible game endings. Which path to victory will you tread?

New for the PC Build

The PC version of Agarest: Generations Of War will be based on the North American Xbox 360 release and will feature Aksys Games’ excellent English text translation but will retain the original Japanese voice overs. The PC version will also feature both gamepad and keyboard/mouse support along with Steam Achievements and dozens of both free and purchasable downloadable items and additional content.

Footage and screenshots are taken from the PlayStation 3 version.

© 2013 COMPILE HEART/RED published under license by Ghostlight Ltd.

question...

can I finish the game playing only with Fyuria (the blue haired pettanko girl) and Ellis (the pink haired loli "mage")?

I only saw the trailer so I know nothing about the game but with these 2 I would go to any adventure smile.gif

for those who didn't know, the psn store has released a few untranslated japanese games from the ps1 for download. six games in total, but i can only remember one. there was a vn among them called Sentimental Graffiti. i can't read japanese, but i've been having fun with it anyways. worth the $6 i payed for it.

this post is a bit off topic, but i figured i'd bring it up anyways. if enough people buy them maybe they'll start releasing more of the THOUSANDS OF UNTRANSLATED PSP GAMES THAT AMERICA NEVER GOT TO PLAY. not that i'm upset about that or anything.

cool

i hope it takes off. (i wish it was a kickstarter, better chances)

i heard steam greenlight has awful success rate. kickstarter is 50% success rate

cool

i hope it takes off. (i wish it was a kickstarter, better chances)

i heard steam greenlight has awful success rate. kickstarter is 50% success rate

Those are really different things. Kickstarter is a way to raise money to make a game or something. Greenlight is to get the game into the Steam store to sell.

It looks like the game has already been released on Ps3 for example, the trailer they have on the page has the PS3 stuff at the end.

Voted and all that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Haha was actually having a discussion about this on irc when it was released on steam.

I own the consol version of it and didnt really play it but wanted to. Would much rather own it pc tho since that's where i do all my stuff anyway.

However i do know that it's a fairly long game so you should get more hours out of the game per buck. It's still 20% off until 10 oct so no rush.