Help me prioritize!

Getsuya

There's just too much good stuff on the Vita. I have a basic wish list drummed up, but I have no idea what game I should prioritize getting. See I can only read one at once, and I intend to buy these one at a time and read them to completion before picking up the next game. So this is a list I'm going to be going down very slowly and surely. What I don't want to happen is for the amazing gold-plated incredible games to get shoved down on the list so I might never get to them while going through a few games that, while good, just aren't as good. I'm fairly new to VNs, truth be told, and haven't really experienced too many myself, so I'm just going by general reputations in making my wishlist, I don't actually know where any of these stand in quality when compared with each other.

But enough talking, here's the list. General suggestions like 'You NEED to make this one of your first picks' or 'Eh, don't be in any hurry to read this this or this' or more dedicated things like 'Here's the order you should get these all in' would be greatly appreciated. Also if you know of any VNs that are on the Vita (aside from the Dangan Ronpas which I have covered (and VLR which I played on 3ds)) that you don't see on my list that really, really should be please let me know.

Assume I haven't read any of the VNs on my list yet. Because I haven't.

Now Playing

Aiyoku no Eustia Angel's Blessing

Next Purchase

Higurashi Sui (this is as far as I've planned things out)

The Wishlist

Rui ga Tomo wo Yobu

Oretachi ni Tsubasa ha Nai R

Fate/Stay Night Realta Nua

Fate/Hollow Ataraxia

Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai

Grisaia Trilogy

Flowers

Irotoridori no Sekai

Rewrite

Steins;Gate

Hakuisei Renai Shoukogun (PSP, can be bought digitally)

Hakuisei Aijou Isonshou

White Album 2

Chaos;Head Dual (Includes Chaos;Head and Chaos;Head Noah)

Golden Time

Imasugu Oniichan ni Imouto datte iitai! (my Japanese buddies have strongly recommended this to me for some reason, I don't know anything about it)

Furuiro Meikyuu Rondo

Kajiri Kamui Kagura (apparently same series as Dies Irae which I should also play at some point if they have a digital version of the PSP port)

See this is like... kid in a candy store kind of thing up in here. I have no idea where to even start (aside from Higurashi of course). Almost all of these are just names, to me, and maybe some cover art. I know barely anything about them. I know VNDB has some basic stories and stuff for each of them and a general spread of ratings (which tend to be all over the place) but I'd love some actual intel on any of these that should be bumped to the top of the list.

Incidentally (and I'll probably bring this up somewhere outside of a recommend thread) I'm thinking of doing a running review blog called Livin la Vita Loca focusing on reviewing all these wonderful all-ages Vita games.

You're also reading Eustia right now? Neat, I am too (though I'm reading the adult version).

According to pretty much every review of it I have read, you should read Dies before Kajiri Kamui Kagura. They're directly related not just stories set in the same world. Both of them are also supposed to be incredibly hard to read (though you might already know that), basically pretty much the most difficult works you'll find in the medium, along with things like Muramasa and Asairo.

White Album 2 is supposed to be really good (one of the highest rated VNs on erogamescape), Golden Sneer's reviews are a pretty good if you want to know what you're in for. It's still over my level though so I can't read it yet. :(

Also if you want tips on good VNs available on Vita (well psp but you can download them) I'd suggest Shiei no Sona-Nyl (haven't read it but I've read other entries in the series it belongs to) and Utawarerumono.

Other famous stuff missing from you list are Saihate no Ima, Akagoei, Cross Channel (though the port apparently includes tons of awful extra content not written by Romeo),

The most well regarded VNs on your list are Ruitomo, Oretsuba, Steins;Gate, F/SN, Grisaia and WA2 btw.

No idea how capable you are in jp, but no barriers then I'd push Rui ga Tomo wo Yobu and Dies irae up the list. Grisaia and Steins;gate are also great choices. All of these are high quality titles.

Btw, you are playing Eusita. Good job! *thumps up*

Eustia is great! I'm definitely going to be posting up either a route-by-route or full game review once I'm through it. About Grisaia, is it the kind of story where I'm going to want to read all 3 games back-to-back, or could I stagger them with like one other game in between each Grisaia game?

I'm semi-confident in my ability to grasp hard Japanese, but I think with Dies/RuiTomo/OreTsuba I could just pick them up, see if I can handle them, and if I can't just fall back on something else and shelf them until I feel ready. A good fall-back option would be White Album 2 or Fate/Stay, both of which are dirt cheap so I wouldn't feel bad buying them along with one of the hard games. Can't believe how expensive Dies Irae is... nearly $80 for a digital PSP game? Jeez.

Beato, thanks for the additions but sadly neither Saihate nor Akagoei is available digitally through the PS Store. I'll definitely want to get around to them some day, but for now I'm focusing on stuff I can grab on my Vita alone. Kinda sad too, since I actually owned Akagoei Trinity for my PS3 before I sold off my whole game collection. I have played Utawarerumono though! It's one of the few (like, I can count on one hand few) VNs I've read through so far. Great stuff. Cross Channel IS available on Vita though, and I'm not sure how I missed that one for my list. It's definitely going to be one I get though.

Right now, I'm thinking the list should go Grisaia after Higurashi, then a combination of one of the hard games+one of the cheap games. So like RuiTomo+White Album 2 or Dies Irae+Fate/Stay (I figure if I pair them up like that the fallback will be a good replacement for its 'hard' partner). After that I want to hit some yuri stuff but from what I've read of the Flowers reviews I probably want to do the nursing games (the Hakuisei duo) first and push Flowers down in priority a bit.

Keep the suggestions coming folks this is seriously helping me out!

• 2 weeks later...

I think I might re-prioritize to reflect prices. When I made the list I was just going by titles, but now that I've looked around I have a better idea of what costs what and what I can easily buy locally without needing to shop online.

Higurashi is an exception (though I've already bought that now so moot), but after that I think I'll grab a lot of the good-and-cheap titles until my working situation is more stable. Stuff like OreTsuba, White Album 2, La Roue de de fortune, and Fate/Stay are all under $30. No need to go throwing around tons of money when there are plenty of really good titles in the bargain bin.