Starting Little Busters, Some Questions

exsion

So I'm pretty new to Visual Novels in general but am interested in playing through Little Busters after hearing good things about it. I've read some walkthrough guides to get a feeling on how to progress through the game but I'm confused by the terminology of "locked out". What does it mean when a required action that will get locked out? Is it saying that your choices are stuck and you have picked a certain path for that character (Though with saves, not sure how that works)?

Sorry again for the probably real easy question. It just bothers my ocd tendency when it comes to things like this. Appreciate any input.

When you complete a girl's route, that route won't be playable again until you clear all the other routes and beat the game. you'll occasionally see greyed out options that aren't selectable because that would put you on a route you already cleared.

I understand the completing a girl's route will lock out her story but I'm talking about the choices made during the route of which some are labeled as "Required choice that will get locked after you've completed the character's route. Available again after Refrain". It seems that you can still continue within the route after making that choice, so I'm confused on the locked terminology for that specific choice.

"Required choice that will get locked after you've completed the character's route. Available again after Refrain".

When you complete a girl's route, that route won't be playable again until you clear all the other routes and beat the game. you'll occasionally see greyed out options that aren't selectable because that would put you on a route you already cleared.

as i said, it's an option you select that puts you on a specific character's route, and once cleared cannot be selected again. refrain is the final route, and all options will be unlocked after you clear it.

i'll give an example.

you're on X girl's route. choice #3 gives two options, one of which will start her route. after clearing her route and starting again, choice #3's second option, which would start girl X's route, is greyed out and you cannot select it.

after you clear refrain, the last route in the game, and then start a new game, choice #3's second option is once again selectable.

Ah I think I understand now. You go through each character's route multiple times and choose options that either lead to their specific route or move on to another character's route. I guess I got confused because Komari and Rin1 didn't have that kind of choice.

Goes to show what a amateur I am at visual novels, haha.

not really, the route before you choose a girl is called Common route, it is route where you are not yet locked with any girl and the choices made there will determine what story you get. You need to play the Common route each time you want to get to a specific girl's route, but you can use the "auto skip already read text" option to only have the "new stuff" in the Common.

Komari and Rin don't have any locked choice so you can replay those as many times as you want. This decision is unexplained and it is just there because they did it that way.

How it works in LB is not how it works in all games, in some games you are not locked in any route so you can freely replay any route as you want. In some games after clearing one girl's route, in the Common route you will not have the option greyed out (so you can still select it) but you will have text or icon of the girl to see that it is one of the options that got you to that route.

And some games don't even have the "true end" final route and you just play the girls you want, without being locked from anything.

But I'd recommend just getting into it yourself, not worrying much about it and just playing smile.gif You will figure it out eventually.

Komari and Rin don't have any locked choice so you can replay those as many times as you want. This decision is unexplained and it is just there because they did it that way.

Actually, it is explained implicitly XD

Komari's route never gets locked because in Refrain, she's the only new LB! member that remains in the world/hasn't moved on. She didn't want to go and move on because of her friendship with Rin. For Rin1, I'm guessing it's just to tell the reader to pick other choices and clear the rest of the girl's routes.

Komari's route never gets locked because in Refrain, she's the only new LB! member that remains in the world/hasn't moved on. She didn't want to go and move on because of her friendship with Rin. For Rin1, I'm guessing it's just to tell the reader to pick other choices and clear the rest of the girl's routes.

oh yeah, I like that explanation ;)

(And you guys who didn't play it yet don't even dare to click the spoiler xD)

That's correct, don't click unless you read the VN btw. Below is the reasoning for Rin1, also don't read unless you read LB already.

When it comes to Rin1, you are allowed to complete it as many times as you want since you are forcibly 'reset' until you get strong enough to go through with Rin2.