3d open world, visual novel game

firecat

i was thinking for my school project how about a 3d open world, visual novel. theres not going to be any random monster in every field or a level system (level systems are hard you know) and no class system. its going to look kind of like mabinogi but with no multiplayer and more about the story. lastly a few puzzle quest just for fun.

so what do you guys think, is it a good idea to get a visual novel into an open world environment or do you think this will never work.

we agree to only like 9 maps and they are very different like a skyworld, lava world, etc, with one villain and separate stories that connect together into the final boss. each map will be 2500x2500 a 2 min walk from central map to end map and 4min walk from end map to the other end map.

Sounds good! A bit ambitious, but otherwise awesome!

There's no reason an for not including an open world in a visual novel. That being said, it's been an issue for a while now in the RPG landscape. Can you provide a compelling story in an open world game. Until Dragon Age Inquisition, I would have said it would have been almost impossible, and here's why.

Open world games emphasise freedom of character - you can approach objectives in multiple ways, how or when to do stuff. Fitting a story into a philosophical design which emphasises freedom in how you go about things is really difficult. Look at Dragon Age Inquisition (even though it's an RPG.)

Sounds interesting, but I don't think the tag "Visual Novel" fits for the game you're describing, more just an open-world RPG without leveling or combat. If your teammates are all interested in making such a niche game, then it is fine.

As far as I understood, your game is just walking and talking through a variety of locations, no combat or anything. Might want to balance the workload a bit depending on your team compositions. If you don't have a lot of artists, then creating assets for 9 vastly different zones might be a bit stressful. If you have a few programmers, then just having them do basic engine stuff (Which they might not even have to if you guys are supposed to be using an engine) and gameplay that is little more than menus/dialogue would not be a good display of their skills. It's a school project, you want to display your skills properly while not overworking yourselves.

Also, open-world does not have to mean cell-based. All the added nonsense of a cell-based architecture doesn't even seem to fit with the game you are describing, when you could just as easily have passageways connecting your zones.

Sounds interesting, but I don't think the tag "Visual Novel" fits for the game you're describing, more just an open-world RPG without leveling or combat. If your teammates are all interested in making such a niche game, then it is fine.

As far as I understood, your game is just walking and talking through a variety of locations, no combat or anything. Might want to balance the workload a bit depending on your team compositions. If you don't have a lot of artists, then creating assets for 9 vastly different zones might be a bit stressful. If you have a few programmers, then just having them do basic engine stuff (Which they might not even have to if you guys are supposed to be using an engine) and gameplay that is little more than menus/dialogue would not be a good display of their skills. It's a school project, you want to display your skills properly while not overworking yourselves.

Also, open-world does not have to mean cell-based. All the added nonsense of a cell-based architecture doesn't even seem to fit with the game you are describing, when you could just as easily have passageways connecting your zones.

>3d open world, visual novel game

That's a normal game..... like Persona. But without the battle. Which is kinda making it a pain in the ass as I have to walk the protagonist all around to talk to anyone, without any other objectives.

no they're going to be puzzles and 1 boss and maybe monsters in the puzzles.