How to run vns on Win 8.

Deep Blue

So after struggling with this awful OS that came pre-installed on my laptop and that it's a pain in the ass because it doesn't even let you do a dual boot without first installing win 7 or xp and then win 8 and not vice-versa... u.u..Thanks Microsoft <_< I decided to make this tutorial.

First off all you need to download this softs:

A)Virtual Box

B )XP Japanese pack

C)Win xp sp2 or sp3 32.

D) Winrar

NOTE: I can't provide you a copy of win xp but if you search you can "buy" one from the internet really easy.

First install Virtual Box, once installed follow this steps:

1)Click on new and name it, like "win" or "win xp"

nwjjMaU.jpg

2)Select 1024 and click next

IVBnDm4.jpg

3)Select create a virtual hard drive and click next

BryZlAV.jpg

4)Select VDI

5PGdbQk.jpg

5)Dynamic allocated

UGWGhIi.jpg

6)Give it a name and select how much you want the new hard drive you are creating is going to have. This is important because aside from xp you will use this space to install your visual novels so you want to give it a fair amount, like 20-25gb.

o4xQGYC.jpg

7)Now that you have your virtual machine, click on Start(The green arrow pointing to the right), go to Devices>CD/DVD Devices>Choose a virtual CD/DVD disk file and select your .iso of win xp.

zSkZCEu.jpg

8)If you did everything as I said, win xp should now be booting up so you can install it.

Now just install win xp as you normally would do.

zSMj5Gd.jpg

9)Now that you have your xp installed and running you need to setup the graphics.

First turn off the virtual machine this is important because with your virtual machine running you can't change any settings.

Go to Start>Turn off. Once is off go to Machine>Settings...>Display and click on enable 3d acceleration and put 128mb into video memory.

The click on Remote display (Inside the display option) and click on Enable Server.

Server port :1

Auth method :Guest

Auth timeout: 5000

NzIfgkz.jpg

dzbjIyK.jpg

VCHPtP3.jpg

sxsZxpK.jpg

10)Now you want to use your games that are inside your laptop but there are not inside your virtual machine yet, so you need to share them by doing this:

Go to Devices>Insert Guess additions... after installing this you will need to reboot your virtual machine.

1VKOSNT.jpg

11)Now you need to select what folder or unit you want to share of your laptop (where you have your vns)

Go to Machine>Settings...>Shared Folders>double click on machines folders> now click on folder path and select your folder you wanna share.

Check auto-mount and Make permanent.

Reboot your virtual machine after that and now on your pc you will have the shared folder behind the virtual CD drive unit.

aGN77ps.jpg

11)Now you need to put your system locale on Japanese (Sorry about the language my win xp is in spanish, this should be almost the same but in english)

Go to control panel and select language and check the options behind the compatibility box.

YTkVVpd.jpg

11)Now click on Advance options and select Japanese from the list, win will now begin to install the language pack and will ask you to insert the cd of xp, some of them don't have the language pack so redirect to the file I told you to download in the beginning of the tutorial and start installing the pack(uncompress it first).

After everything is installed, reboot your virtual pc and you are done!!!

08cbxCw.jpg

And you are don!!! no more freaking errors of compatibility!!!

wXnLCsB.jpg

I tested it with ever 17, StarTRain and Natsuzora Kanata all of them work perfectly.

CZgf7Xa.jpg

Ce1RGDE.jpg

If you want to play on full screen mode just go to View and press on the Switch to full-screen.

Final note: I know this post looks awfull and it's a mess but that's the best I can do, if any mod wants to edit the post and make it "prettier" or fix my tons of grammatical horrors I don't mind at all :P

I own a laptop with windows 8.0. I have installed like 20 vn's or so on it. A few of the older ones required me to dig up a win 8 patch for them.

I imagine vn's in the range of older than 2008 or so might get problems with win 8. You prbly fucked then. So you need to use virtual machine as this guide does or install win 7/xp on your comp then lol.

Maybe I'm crazy or maybe win 8 doesn't like me but muv luv doesn't work on win 8 it freezes on many parts, StarTRain doesn't start at all, mostly old vns. I'm not forcing anyone to use this guide, this is for those people who are having problems running some old vn on win 8.

Maybe I'm crazy or maybe win 8 doesn't like me but muv luv doesn't work on win 8 it freezes on many parts, StarTRain doesn't start at all, mostly old vns. I'm not forcing anyone to use this guide, this is for those people who are having problems running some old vn on win 8.

New Windows versions have compatibility mode included. Even if such issues were a result of being incompatible with the OS, running it in compatibility mode would do just as much good as creating an entire VM just to play it, with a hell of a lot hassle and wasted disk space. VMs have many uses and if you like using them that is fine, but if you are solely using it as a workaround for incompatibility, it might not be your best option.

New Windows versions have compatibility mode included. Even if such issues were a result of being incompatible with the OS, running it in compatibility mode would do just as much good as creating an entire VM just to play it, with a hell of a lot hassle and wasted disk space. VMs have many uses and if you like using them that is fine, but if you are solely using it as a workaround for incompatibility, it might not be your best option.

Compatibility mode doesn't work most of the time (same on win 7) if you can run ever 17 (without using the patch) or startrain on win 8 I will gift you a game on steam :)

Muv-luv and Ever17 are some of the few VNs that have problems on windows 8

A member made a /index.php?/topic/7852-muv-luv-does-run-on-windows-8-heres-how/">guide on how to run muv-luv on win8 (which is also in our FAQ)

Ever17 has a fixed .exe file to run it on win8 as well.

Most games can be run on win8 with small tweaks, no need to use a virtual XP OS.

Though I guess it doesn't hurt to have one either so this is a nice tutorial on how to install that :P

Muv-luv and Ever17 are some of the few VNs that have problems on windows 8

A member made a /index.php?/topic/7852-muv-luv-does-run-on-windows-8-heres-how/">guide on how to run muv-luv on win8 (which is also in our FAQ)

Ever17 has a fixed .exe file to run it on win8 as well.

Most games can be run on win8 with small tweaks, no need to use a virtual XP OS.

Though I guess it doesn't hurt to have one either so this is a nice tutorial on how to install that :P

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the necro but I was wondering if there was a way to remove the black borders when you full screen MuvLuv in VirtualBox. As it is now, whenever I full screen MuvLuv, it just blacks out the desktop with black bars instead of expanding MuvLuv