New to VN's.... Where to start?

Hatsune Miku

Hello! As you probably guessed, this is my first post here. I've always been interested in VN's but never found any english ones. Now I've discovered Fuwanovel and I can almost check off the "played a VN" bit on my to-do list but I have no idea where to start.

My question is, what would be a good visual novel to start out with? I dont mind having to patch (if they arent already) and of course I know how to torrent. Im good with all genre's (even yaoi/yuri but ill save that for later) I'll take everyones idea's and hopefully ill find one that I will enjoy.

VNs from Fuwanovel come pre-patched. Two good VNs to start with would be Clannad or Ever 17. Katawa Shoujo is also a good starting point as well.

What sort of genres are you interested in?

I like fantasy, Supernatural and Mystery the most. Im willing to try anything though

VNs from Fuwanovel come pre-patched. Two good VNs to start with would be Clannad or Ever 17. Katawa Shoujo is also a good starting point as well.

What sort of genres are you interested in?

Clannad is very good, but it's also really long. If you're up for it definitely give Clannad a shot. However, I would recommend saving Clannad for a bit later, and starting off with Katawa Shoujo. Katawa Shoujo is a great gate way drug, I mean VN.

Ever 17 is a must, I'd also recommend Hoshizora no Memoria

Lol, I've been meaning to play Every 17 for over a year now. Since so many people are recommending it I suppose I might as well link you to a review of it on YouTube.

Ever17 then. As said, Clannad is very long, but worth it. Ever17 is a very good mystery. Katawa Shoujo, as mentioned is a good gatway into VNs as well.

Play ever17.

You will know the meaning of my name once you finish it.

Also, welcome to the forums!

I like fantasy, Supernatural and Mystery the most. Im willing to try anything though

Hey there, welcome! Based on that, Fate Stay Night, Chaos;Head or Kara no Shojo should be good picks, but the Hatsune Miku VN and Katawa Shoujo really is better for starters. I'd hold on longer titles like FSN and Clannad on the beggining though. (but they're all great xD)

While they're being torrented, I was browsing through VNDB and I found a VN that I really like. Tsuki ni Yorisou Otome no Sahou Sadly, there is no english patch for it. Whats the translation process for VN's? How are they selected to be translated? Also, how long does it take for them to be translated? would really like to see this one here on Fuwanovel.

I was browsing through VNDB and I found a VN that I really like. Tsuki ni Yorisou Otome no Sahou Sadly, there is no english patch for it. Whats the translation process for VN's? How long does it take for them to be translated?

I don't think there is any team working on translating this game. Meaning two things. 1) People that are capable and willing to translate the game will have to find each other, and form a team, (this process alone could take a while). 2) After they form a team It will take a while for the game to get translated, and by a while I mean years. So I regret to inform you but unless you learn to speak Japanese, or by some stroke of luck a group of translators do take up the project; you may never get a chance to play the game in a language you understand. That's one of the sad parts about being a western eroge fan, we only get 10% of what Japan has. :( But your getting Ever 17 anyway, so just enjoy that for now.

Hey there, welcome! Based on that, Fate Stay Night, Chaos;Head or Kara no Shojo should be good picks, but the Hatsune Miku VN and Katawa Shoujo really is better for starters. I'd hold on longer titles like FSN and Clannad on the beggining though. (but they're all great xD)

What he said.

Oh and welcome. if you'd like head over to the introduce yourself thread and say a proper hello :) Im sure people who dont read this topic would like to say hello.

Cross Channel, Tsukihime, Fate/stay night, and the Muv-luv series (with the stipulation that playing Unlimited and Extra is solely to prepare you for Alternative). Sekien no Inganock is also a good one if you don't mind lots of weirdness and a different art style. Cross Channel is... more than a little psychotic. Tsukihime has an awesome story but no voices... and I'd seriously suggest that you switch the music out with something more suitable. Fate Stay/night will be somewhat familiar to those who have watched the anime, though the anime is a horrible bastardization of an epic (and very long) story. Little Busters and Clannad will do for something lighter and non-H.

Katawa Shoujo should be a really good choice for a starting VN.. It is somewhat light, and the routes can easily be figured out.. This can give you a great feel of playing VNs..

Also, you can try DC series, since you are a fan of fantasy and supernatural.. You can also try G Senjou no Maou (my first one ^^), for a great mystery/thriller VN..

After that, you can try the longer ones, like Clannad and LB.. This takes a while to get through, but would be totally worth it..

Lol, I've been meaning to play Every 17 for over a year now. Since so many people are recommending it I suppose I might as well link you to a review of it on YouTube.

Edit: why is the Media function only showing a link? Isn't it suppose to show a smaller version of the video on the forums?

You need to remove the s part from https:// as I've done while quoting you. Ryoji has removed the review from the quote.

With regards to the topic, Katawa Shoujo was personally my first visual novel. I've played through three of the routes and enjoyed them immensely. Will probably make you shed a few tears though, but like others have said, its a great starting novel. I've found Rewrite to be rather easy to figure out, and since it contains Supernatural and Mystery elements, that might just be your best bet. It is a bit on the long side however, and people have complained that the common route was much longer than it needed to be, though I don't agree.