New to VN's.... Where to start?

Hatsune Miku

So let's cut the fluff, the commentary, the second-rate advice (jk, guys!). There is one game to rule them all, and that game is Katawa Shoujo.

I joke, but Katawa Shoujo is the first VN I ever played, and I loved it. It blew me away. Since it was my first game, I had no idea that people "expected" voice work for the characters (KS doesn't have any), and I had no preconceived notions about what a VN should be. That combination of variables led me to a really magical experience. Therefore, my suggestion is simple: whether or not it's your first VN, please do make some time to play Katawa Shoujo before you get too deep into the VN scene. Approaching it with an open mind will lead to some wonderful experiences. I know -- I've been there myself ; ).

On the whole, though, welcome to the wonderful world of VNs. I'm a major fan, and we all look forward to future conversations with you about the games you discover : ). (PS: As you finish games, please take the time to post about them and tell us what you thought!)

Sorry didn't have time to read the whole topic and I read only the first post and now I saw Tay have a post here so I need to react too xD

If there is one VN you need to play, it is Hoshizora no Memoria, I can't believe Tay haven't played it yet but soon he will recognize the error of his ways tongue.gif

If you are after moe, it might be the best VN for that.

The choices are very easy so it is quite a good start too smile.gif

And actually in your case (judging by name and avatar) I would recommend the 2 vocaloid Kinetic Novels as I saw someone mentioned them too, they have no choices and you will get introduced to the VN format and presentation, where the text is, how read and enjoy the visual at the same time etc. Those are short, about 5 hours each - and also extremely moeeee~

And when you are done with them and find out that you just love moe, Hoshizora no Memoria is there waiting for you smile.gif

and I just skimmed through the other posts...

I like fantasy, Supernatural and Mystery the most. Im willing to try anything though

yep, Hoshimemo, replace fantasy with moe and there you go, the supernatural and mystery is waiting for you there xD

Long story short: if you find after playing the vocaloid VNs that moe is the way you want to go, come to me, I will hook you up with some other games so you can have your neverending nosebleed xD

Long story short: if you find after playing the vocaloid VNs that moe is the way you want to go, come to me, I will hook you up with some other games so you can have your neverending nosebleed xD

pm me some childhood friend moe. i'm decidedly lacking at the moment.

If there is one VN you need to play, it is Hoshizora no Memoria, I can't believe Tay haven't played it yet but soon he will recognize the error of his ways tongue.gif

If you are after moe, it might be the best VN for that.

The choices are very easy so it is quite a good start too smile.gif

+1 to Hoshimemo.

Hmmm I think the best VN to start with would be Planetarian. It's not too long like Hoshimemo, and you don't have your brain out like you have to in Ever 17 (and it's really long too). Planetarian's storyline is suitable for most people, and it can be inspiring in many ways. After Planetarian you'll get use to how the VN system works, and can decide for yourself which VN is likable to you. Good luck!

I think you should play the VN. You wont get the same enjoyment you would have without the Anime but the VN is better then the Anime so I say definitely play the VN. Its a classic for sure!!

Thanks, then I'll probably play Steins;Gate after I finish Tsukihime. However, I heard there were issues about JastUSA buying the rights to Steins;Gate or something like that. If we can still play the game with the patch, then how complete is it?

On topic: Judging from how good the anime was, I think Steins;Gate would be a really good recommendation for beginner as well. According to vndb.org Stein;Gate is roughly as long as Ever 17 (30-50 hours long).