Lilium x Triangle Translation Project

Nosebleed

Random Update 5

V83I2qB.jpg

Translation progress: 2,400/2,995 lines (80%)

Common route: Complete (Editing)

Yuna's route: Complete

Sana's route: 1/3 done

Next update hopefully will be the big 100% :D

After that I have some TLC to do in certain parts. I'll also be replaying the game and checking if a lot of things match, particularly in H-scenes.

But editing is being done already, I've made sure to signal what needs TLC and what doesn't so Ryechu knows what to do.

Overall, things are looking good.

Seriously, though, great job so far!  If I may ask, what was the most difficult part of translating this VN?  As I'm sure you know, I know almost no Japanese and have never translated anything before in my life, so I'm kinda curious.

The H-scenes have by far been the hardest thing to translate.

And I'm not joking either.

First off the sounds. Obviously I have 0 problem reading the sounds they're making because they're in hiragana, and in my head they make sense. But in English, not so much.

Licking sounds ,kissing sounds, breathing sounds, etc. When I see the hiragana it sounds good in my head, but if I literally transcribe the hiragana then you'd be seeing some really weird sounds here and there.

Translating this

「ぁんっ、んっ、んゃっ、ぅんんんっ……んっ、んっ、んぅんんん~~~っ!」

Into something that sounds erotic and without using nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn is not the easiest task in the world.

But aside from that, the major problem with them for me is that the descriptions jump around a lot. Unlike English, Japanese descriptions don't seem to follow a particular fluent narrative structure, they just spout random things that are happening and put it all in one sentence and I have to make sense out of it in English while at the same time making sure it sounds erotic enough for you not to lose your erection.

On top of that, there's a lot of very specific verbs, vocabulary and adjectives that, while in Japanese are all different, in English they pretty much are the same word, but English discourages repetition so I have to find alternatives to make the sentence sound good while, again, keeping the reader's erection.

So yeah, H-scenes have been giving me quite some trouble. I manage to read the sentences, but translating them into something readable in English is quite the task for me.

I put "ぁんっ、んっ、んゃっ、ぅんんんっ……んっ、んっ、んぅんんん~~~っ!" into Google Translate for fun and I got "An~tsu , N~tsu , N~ya~tsu , ~Unnn~tsu ...... N~tsu , N~tsu , and N~un'nn Tsu ~ ~ ~ !".  "N~tsu"s everywhere.

Thanks for the answer!  From what I've heard about translating Japanese VNs, most translators seem to have trouble with h-scenes, which I find kind of amusing because you'd think that they'd be some of the easiest parts to translate, since they're mostly just noises and "Sugoi!" or "Kimochii!/Kimochii?", but nope.

Are run-on sentences accepted in Japanese, or is it just Lilium x Triangle that has them?  If it's accepted in Japanese as a whole, I can understand why people call it one of the most difficult second languages to learn, besides English and all of its moronic, contradictory rules.

I put "ぁんっ、んっ、んゃっ、ぅんんんっ……んっ、んっ、んぅんんん~~~っ!" into Google Translate for fun and I got "An~tsu , N~tsu , N~ya~tsu , ~Unnn~tsu ...... N~tsu , N~tsu , and N~un'nn Tsu ~ ~ ~ !".  "N~tsu"s everywhere.

Rather than run-on sentences, they're just really vague a lot of the time. They are still complete sentences, don't get me wrong, but they often don't feel like they connect, they're just so individual while at the same time being part of the same sentence.

A good example is when a character is doing more than one thing at once, or when more than one thing is happening to them, they always describe the actions seperately. So for example you have parts where they describe their head went blank, their body was trembling and their insides tightened, that sounds pretty darn awful, but that's how it's written, just separated by commas. In English you'd have to turn it into something like "My head went blank as my body trembled and tightened" or something, more often than not I also find myself having to add stuff in there for proper contextualization because it just feels out of place.

In terms of verbs they're also a pain, there's so many h-scene specific verbs that describe similar actions that in English don't have different counterparts.

One verb that they use a lot is "kanjiru" which usually means to feel/sense in this case. But sometimes it just doesn't seem right in English because it's such a vague verb. 

Also the nouns. In Lilium x Triangle, they never once use the word vagina, it's always an euphemism, which in English is much harder to come by.

When it comes to colloquial speech though, the patterns are very regular and you'll hardly find yourself struggling with them, especially in a moege where they rarely talk about complicated matters.

H-scenes just have these specific patterns and vocabulary that make them more tough in general.

And I'm sure I'm not even explaining it properly, I'm sure someone knows exactly what differ from an H-scene to everyday talking, but when you get to an h-scene, you really feel the abrupt change in terms of translation difficulty.

I always wondered why google translate never got the meaning of the small つ. It's a really simple concept but apparently not for google translate.....

Rather than run-on sentences, they're just really vague a lot of the time. They are still complete sentences, don't get me wrong, but they often don't feel like they connect, they're just so individual while at the same time being part of the same sentence.

A good example is when a character is doing more than one thing at once, or when more than one thing is happening to them, they always describe the actions seperately. So for example you have parts where they describe their head went blank, their body was trembling and their insides tightened, that sounds pretty darn awful, but that's how it's written, just separated by commas. In English you'd have to turn it into something like "My head went blank as my body trembled and tightened" or something, more often than not I also find myself having to add stuff in there for proper contextualization because it just feels out of place.

In terms of verbs they're also a pain, there's so many h-scene specific verbs that describe similar actions that in English don't have different counterparts.

One verb that they use a lot is "kanjiru" which usually means to feel/sense in this case. But sometimes it just doesn't seem right in English because it's such a vague verb. 

Also the nouns. In Lilium x Triangle, they never once use the word vagina, it's always an euphemism, which in English is much harder to come by.

When it comes to colloquial speech though, the patterns are very regular and you'll hardly find yourself struggling with them, especially in a moege where they rarely talk about complicated matters.

H-scenes just have these specific patterns and vocabulary that make them more tough in general.

And I'm sure I'm not even explaining it properly, I'm sure someone knows exactly what differ from an H-scene to everyday talking, but when you get to an h-scene, you really feel the abrupt change in terms of translation difficulty.

Sorry, I think I misinterpreted what you said.  Herp derp.

Thanks for answering all of my questions and more.  I'll stop derailing with general translation questions  :P

Unlike English, Japanese descriptions don't seem to follow a particular fluent narrative structure, they just spout random things that are happening and put it all in one sentence and I have to make sense out of it in English while at the same time making sure it sounds erotic enough for you not to lose your erection.

If you're empathizing with the reader enough to take into consideration his phallus during translation, I'm fearful about the quality with which I translate h-scenes. -_-

In any case, there are numerous policies that various translation groups pursue when it comes to the oddity that is Japanese phonetics during h-scenes. For example, although I shouldn't be citing Staircase Subs, their translation of such masterful lines as 「んちゅ、れるれちゃ、んくちゅ、ちゅぱちゅぷ、れろれろ、れるん、れちゃ、れくちゃ、れちょれちょ」 is a literal phonetic translation. While that probably shouldn't be done, it's worth noting that the general public doesn't seem to require very strict standards of accuracy for their fapping sessions. And if anybody openly announced how deeply they look into the text of h-scenes, I would make fun of them. -_-

As for avoiding repetition, a rule instituted by old white guys to distinguish those who've spent years remembering multitudes of often-unnecessary vocabulary words by osmosis, my prescribed option is to 1) not worry about it in excess, and 2) judiciously use thesaurus.com or something when necessary.

Haha, all I'm doing is trying to make them sound fluent and good enough so if I were to put myself as the reader I would enjoy reading it :P

The erection thing was just an euphemism. Or maybe a dysphemism depending on how you look at it  :Kappa:

I'm actually very biased when it comes to phonetics so this was pretty tough. But all in all I want to translate it as I feel more comfortable with.

I did go over it with Ryechu to see what he thinks about it too so we're kind of on the same page. Worry not, we will make sure rules are applied the same throughout so we got that going for us which is nice.

I've made certain literal translations, mostly with kissing sounds, but a lot of other sounds were translated as nouns (lick in particular), a practice I take after from manga scanlators. (moans and gasps weren't translated as "moan/gasp" though, so please don't raise your dongers or flip tables, even I have some common sense)

In terms of repetition, I'm not stressing over it too much and it's not like it's happening a lot, but sometimes the the place is 平気 and everything is 大丈夫 so I have to make some adjustments then :P

This is more prominent with adjectives where something is ふかふか and ふわふわ at the same time. 

Well, this IS a nukige, if you aren't concerned with the reader's erection then what ARE you concerned about?

As far as word repetition goes, you can probably handwave most of it away in the h-scenes by saying that the characters aren't in their right mind. I'd buy that excuse.

more often than not I also find myself having to add stuff in there for proper contextualization because it just feels out of place.

Anal translators will get anal at you for doing that, but feel free to ignore them. I for one appreciate the practice (not talking just about H-scenes here.)

Keep in mind these are just translation habits I personally have, I'm not the one doing the editing so hopefully everything will be smoothed out with no problems and you'll be able to get a coherent product. Needless to say even when all is done we'll quality check the whole thing. We all want to make the English version of this be just as moe as the Japanese one.

All in all, I'm having fun with this project, I know I slowed down a bit lately but it's not because i'm being burned out it's just that I've been doing things.

I've learned quite a lot from it as well and I can't wait to see the finished product. I believe this proved to be a valuable experience in both translation, project managing and leaving pointless translation notes for editors to give myself a sense of superiority

6hJQ1Ht.png

Anal translators will get anal at you for doing that, but feel free to ignore them. I for one appreciate the practice (not talking just about H-scenes here.)

I have expected some butthurt people as soon as I started. You can't please everyone after all :P

There's a distinction between ultra literal and making things coherent, I'm more on the coherent side, although I'm being more literal for the sake of my editor (leaving TL notes to help though)

Random Update 6

7fmu73N.jpg

Translation Progress: 100%

Editing Progress: 28%

The big update is here as promised!

This week was one heck of a ride, I got sick out of nowhere and couldn't work on this for a while, it sucked.

But once I recovered I went full force and did all the remaining lines before a week had passed, and thus we finally reached that 100% goal.

So what comes now?

First off I need to do quite a bit of TLC, especially in H-scenes. I learned the hard way H-scenes are quite difficult to translate, this was definitely a first for me so while I appreciated the experience, I definitely won't try to translate H-scenes so soon in the future without more proper practice.

I don't have a way to track TLC progress so all I can say is "it's being done" :P but it shouldn't take as long as the translation did so at least I got that going for it.

Ryechu has already started editing so while I fix stuff here and there, he'll be working on the rest so progress is still being made. He works 10 times faster than me too :vinty:

Overall, this was a fun ride, I definitely learned some of the tribulations of visual novel translations, even if I only worked on such a short game, but this is very valuable experience for me who wants to major in this kind of stuff.

I don't know how often I'll be posting updates now. Editing takes less time in comparison to translation and I don't have a way to track TLC in percentages, but whenever we hit meaningful milestones I'll make sure to post here about it. Probably when TLC is done and when editing is done.

That is all!

• 3 weeks later...

Random Update 7

Figured i'd say something about the project, don't want people to think it's dead :P

TLC has been coming along and about 50% of the game is TLC'd I'd say.

What I'm mostly waiting for is Ryechu who's really busy irl right now and can't really put in much time in the project because of it but editing progress is over 30% now. I'm sure when Ryechu is no longer busy he'll be able to plow through lines again.

Sorry that stuff has slowed down but other people have lives too so I can't do much about it, but I don't think it will take an insane amount of time longer so that's always good!

Random Update 7

Figured i'd say something about the project, don't want people to think it's dead :P

TLC has been coming along and about 50% of the game is TLC'd I'd say.

What I'm mostly waiting for is Ryechu who's really busy irl right now and can't really put in much time in the project because of it but editing progress is over 30% now. I'm sure when Ryechu is no longer busy he'll be able to plow through lines again.

Sorry that stuff has slowed down but other people have lives too so I can't do much about it, but I don't think it will take an insane amount of time longer so that's always good!

And where is the pretty picture this time?  I NEED MY PRETTY PICTURES!!

And thanks for all the efforts and stuff! Everyone has RL so it can't be helped

Sorry i'm on mobile, no pretty pictures </3

Until Ryechu is back in full swing, even if TLC is 100% done i really can't do much more beyond it, that's just how life goes~

But he's been doing a really great job so far so the wait is worth it.

I really hope to have this done by June, but I won't set it in stone yet until I know people's schedule.

• 3 weeks later...

We're Not dead Random Update 8

TLC almost 100%

Editing is 50%, Ryechu has more free time now so progress should speed up a little.

And I need to stop being lazy and start proofreading

I don't have cute pictures on me so uuuh... ┐( ̄ヮ ̄)┌

OuwdFvX.png

P4S17cm.png

ES1vHLl.png

Tzvy9zy.png

mCJ5vds.png

tLSDBQZ.png

j8MnXGU.png

jlflGYl.png

C0Z7Bnc.png

avBUaZS.png

isn't that from that manga where the two friends likes each other littler sister, what was the name again?

Editing is 50%, Ryechu has more free time now so progress should speed up a little.

Yeah, with finals done and my current obligations on-track, I'm able to get a massive chunk of this done.  You guys are in for a treat with this one.