Grand Theft Auto V PC Release

solidbatman

FINALLY.  My 5-ish day download is complete.  I'm currently downloading the most recent drivers for my graphics card, and then I can play the damn game.

EDIT: Kinda bummed, since my VRAM won't allow me to move Texture Detail up past anything besides normal without tanking the other settings, but other than that, my God, no lag and it looks beautiful.  And I thought GTA V on the 360 looked great  xD

FINALLY.  My 5-ish day download is complete.  I'm currently downloading the most recent drivers for my graphics card, and then I can play the damn game.

EDIT: Kinda bummed, since my VRAM won't allow me to move Texture Detail up past anything besides normal without tanking the other settings, but other than that, my God, no lag and it looks beautiful.  And I thought GTA V on the 360 looked great  xD

Well, after playing with the various settings, saying "Screw it," and putting my my VRAM usage up to 2338 (I have 2047), the game runs great.  I was forgetting to turn off that useless V-sync, like I do for almost every game that has it automatically on.  I get an average of 60-ish FPS now, and I have Textures on high  :D

Was it in general, or was it in a section of the city?  I keep getting really bad stuttering when I drive around Michael's house and that part of the city, for some reason.

It was in general. Especially when driving in a car, and much worse in more populated areas. Saw people suggest downloading the beta driver if using an AMD card. Did so, and the game runs just fine now. 

It was in general. Especially when driving in a car, and much worse in more populated areas. Saw people suggest downloading the beta driver if using an AMD card. Did so, and the game runs just fine now. 

Huh, strange.  Well, I'm using an NVIDIA card, and I'm only getting stuttering issues there.  Thanks for the info, though ^_^

Was it in general, or was it in a section of the city?  I keep getting really bad stuttering when I drive around Michael's house and that part of the city, for some reason.

It's because you went way over-budget on your VRAM. Stuttering is what happens when you do that. Turn down some settings that big memory footprint, like population variety.

NVidia published a comprehensive article that details the impact every graphics setting has, it's pretty useful regardless of what brand your card is. http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/grand-theft-auto-v-pc-graphics-and-performance-guide

• 2 weeks later...

It's because you went way over-budget on your VRAM. Stuttering is what happens when you do that. Turn down some settings that big memory footprint, like population variety.

NVidia published a comprehensive article that details the impact every graphics setting has, it's pretty useful regardless of what brand your card is. http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/grand-theft-auto-v-pc-graphics-and-performance-guide

I'm now within my VRAM limits and I'm still getting some stuttering and getting FPS drops down to ~40  :/

I've read a tip that recommends disabling the NVIDIA Shadowplay service, which seems to cause some serious stuttering. MSAA is also the single most impacting graphical setting, which is why I keep it disabled entirely - 1080p + FXAA is good enough for me, everything else is pretty much maxed.