Majikoi S Translation Project Discussion

Ahhh I am soooo glad to hear this. ahhh  you people are the best!!

ahh I've been yearning for Tatsuko's route to be translated for so long, and now ahhh its finally getting done. ahh its truly turning out to be a wonderous new year.

ahhh soon my blue haired narcoleptic war goddess and I shall be together at last.. ahh she's so... sweet and heh ohhh so damned cute, not to mention hot.

Good luck to you guys, hope all goes well, may you live in interesting times.

Majikoi S is split between being a fandisc, and being a weird alternate story where a new group of characters transfer into the school before summer vacation. The fandisc portion is a collection of after stories that continue the major routes from the first game, but they're all really short and very light on the plot (or has none). You really shouldn't expect much from those otherwise you're probably going to end up disappointed. They're just fun side stories and some extra h-scenes. The bulk of the exciting new content has already been translated by Wairu but the Koyuki route sounds interesting so I'm really looking forward to that.

Majikoi S is split between being a fandisc, and being a weird alternate story where a new group of characters transfer into the school before summer vacation. The fandisc portion is a collection of after stories that continue the major routes from the first game, but they're all really short and very light on the plot (or has none). You really shouldn't expect much from those otherwise you're probably going to end up disappointed. They're just fun side stories and some extra h-scenes. The bulk of the exciting new content has already been translated by Wairu but the Koyuki route sounds interesting so I'm really looking forward to that.

Yeah i know atleast i'm grateful that koyuki route is quite long 

I dare say that out of the more serious routes,

only Monshiro and Tsubame feel like proper routes, with Kokoro feeling like a side route and Margrit like nukige material. Iyo's hardly got any content but it almost felt like it had more story content that Margits

:makina: 

I just went through Kazuko's route, nothing popped up out of the ordinary, no crashes nor glitches. Maybe it's the copy of Majikoi S you have that fucking around.

I don't remember that the wairu patch translate the kazuko's route Oo, It was in japanese for me

I don't remember that the wairu patch translate the kazuko's route Oo, It was in japanese for me

Yeah, It was in Japanese I played it...I've played through all the games even the newest one, Wanko is my favourite character so I was kinda peeved about the glitch not letting me finish her route..........Thanks to the responses from here I learned that the glitch was in my version of the game, I have since re-downloaded and completed her route in Majikoi S without a hitch. Thanks to all. :3

I'm currently playing Majikoi S right now, and I have a few questions regarding your work on this project : will you translate/edit the images which appears when the day change?

138839Sanstitre.png

Will you translate the BGM "pop-up"?

599813Nouvelleimagebitmap.png

Sorry if you already answered this in the first post of the project, but I dont know what "UI" means... ^^'

If I'm not mistaken, you choose :
- "Krit" as Chris nickname, when Wairu/Yandere choose "Kri" : why? "Krit" would sound as "Krito" in japanese not "Kuri", no?

- "Goblin Banquet" when they choose "Mouryou Gathering" : was that a mistranslation of them?

Thanks in advance ^^

I'm currently playing Majikoi S right now, and I have a few questions regarding your work on this project : will you translate/edit the images which appears when the day change?

138839Sanstitre.png

Sorry if you already answered this in the first post of the project, but I dont know what "UI" means... ^^'

Wow, just look at this kind of helpful question. You don't see that often, great job!

"UI" basically refers to what you pointed out. Menus and popups are all part of the UI.

138839Sanstitre.png

If I'm not mistaken, you choose :

- "Krit" as Chris nickname, when Wairu/Yandere choose "Kri" : why? "Krit" would sound as "Krito" in japanese not "Kuri", no?

- "Goblin Banquet" when they choose "Mouryou Gathering" : was that a mistranslation of them?

Thanks in advance ^^

Yes, we have already begun work on the day changes. We will do the popups if we are able. "UI" stands for "user interface", and includes the popups when you hover over menu items, the event, music, and skit lists, and other bits that may have been left undone by Wairu.

"Krit" was chosen to preserve the pun, though I suppose most wouldn't get it(I didn't until dowolf explained). The pun is her nickname being similar to "clit", for "clitoris". When written in English, "Krit" is closer than "Kri".

"Goblin's Banquet" is a better translation(in that it is an actual translation, where Mouryou's Gathering really isn't), and had we had more time, I'd like to have changed it through all of Yandere's uses for consistency's sake. And it fits what the gathering actually is, rather than leaving readers with a japanese word they don't know.

"Krit" was chosen to preserve the pun, though I suppose most wouldn't get it(I didn't until dowolf explained). The pun is her nickname being similar to "clit", for "clitoris". When written in English, "Krit" is closer than "Kri".

"Goblin's Banquet" is a better translation(in that it is an actual translation, where Mouryou's Gathering really isn't), and had we had more time, I'd like to have changed it through all of Yandere's uses for consistency's sake. And it fits what the gathering actually is, rather than leaving readers with a japanese word they don't know.

I have to say, when they said that "Kri" sounded like "clit" I was pretty confused.  "Krit" makes more sense, even if you don't go with the stereotypical "L = R" Asian accent.

As someone that knows almost no Japanese, I salute you.  If you don't give context to an untranslated word, I'm forced to alt+tab and search the internet for the meaning myself.  I don't like not knowing what something means -_-

I have to say, when they said that "Kri" sounded like "clit" I was pretty confused.  "Krit" makes more sense, even if you don't go with the stereotypical "L = R" Asian accent.

As someone that knows almost no Japanese, I salute you.  If you don't give context to an untranslated word, I'm forced to alt+tab and search the internet for the meaning myself.  I don't like not knowing what something means -_-

For some reason, I felt compelled to make an account to elaborate on this.  Just to be clear, my knowledge of Japanese as a language is at a beginner level.

Starting from the beginning, Japanese as a language is largely phonetic, with most hirigana and katakana "representing" consonant and vowel pairs.  The only one's that don't are し (shi),つ (tsu), and ん (n), unless I'm missing some.  An easy way to think of it is that each individual character in Japanese is treated the same way a sylable would be treated in English.  That's why, if you listen to Japanese cadence, they emphasize things strangely compared to what we are used to as (presumably) westerners, with the beginning of each individual character stressed.  Each of these characters takes roughly the same amount of time to pronounce in conversation, which can make the language sound kind of... mathematical??  If that makes sense.  Or maybe formulaic is a better word; in any case, once you know the rules Japanese is remarkably straightforward in terms of pronounciation and syntax.

Chris, being a name, and clitorus, being a loan word, are spelled using katakana (clitorus might have a kanji too but I wouldn't be able to tell you what it was).  They look like this:

クリス

クリトロス

Both share the same initial two katakana, as well as the final katakana.  Which I guess makes them similar in a way.  Regardless, the characters make a nickname based on (presumed) perverseness and Chris' name.

Rather than thinking of it as a combination of the two words, it's more appropriate to think of it as Japanese word play.  Because the nickname クリ would be both Chris' name and a shortened form of clitorus, so saying it with one meaning could call to mind the other meaning depending on who you were talking to.  Or, more accurately, it would mean both at the same time.  It's similar to Okami, which means both Big God as well as being the pronounciation of the Japanese word for wolf (trivia). 

Homophone is the word I'm looking for.  Japan loves the stuff, which is why you get things that say "written as _____ but pronounced as _____" and it's also why new students write their names on the board when they are introduced to the class, because there are multiple ways of getting the same sound combination, and kanji can have multiple pronounciation.

*deep breath*

For a couple of reasons, these jokes don't transfer well or easily to English.  In this particular instance, the fact that we differentiate between r's and l's means that essentially the original joke can't exist in English.  "Kri" is faithful to the pronounciation, but doesn't convey the joke.  "Krit" is inelegant, but manages to combine the two words, essentially, and thus carries the original joke meaning across, even if it's a bit cumbersome.  "Chrit" would probably be a more accurate alternative, but that just looks funky to me for some reason.

Also, since this is my first post on this website I just wanted to say thanks and good luck to the translation team for agreeing to translate Majikoi S and, especially, for already translating Majikoi proper.  I definitely appreciate the hard work you guys are doing, Majikoi is a fantastic series and I am enjoying your translations immensely.

Wow, just look at this kind of helpful question. You don't see that often, great job!

"UI" basically refers to what you pointed out. Menus and popups are all part of the UI.

Yes, we have already begun work on the day changes. We will do the popups if we are able. "UI" stands for "user interface", and includes the popups when you hover over menu items, the event, music, and skit lists, and other bits that may have been left undone by Wairu.

Thanks for your replies, and your time to develop and explain it to me ^^

"and had we had more time, I'd like to have changed it through all of Yandere's uses for consistency's sake."

That would had been for the best, but well, better this than nothing!

Looking forward to Agave/Yuki route when it'll be done! =)