Majikoi S Translation Project Discussion

I was so happy, that there were no lolis. I'm tired of concept where each game must have at least one.

4365747-7086773115-Flame.gif

Both Majikoi and Majikoi S have loli routes, the one in S being one of the main three routes. The one in S is even specifically meant to be quite young, unlike Mayo who only looks young.

Soooo...no imports, then?  I doubt it'll ever get localized if that's the case, or at least without losing that route.  Then again, that's not too worrisome, considering the original Majikoi isn't even officially translated.

Well, okay, there is still the disclaimer that everyone is over the age of 18. And they even make a joke about Monshiro's age on several occasions in S, joking about how she is supposedly over 18 even though that would make no sense. But really, she skipped several grades before she ended up a first year high school student, and is mentioned as being much younger than the rest of the cast. And, you know, she looks like a kid.

I guess my main question is sort of related to whether or not there are going to be changes to the editing/QC process.

While going through the Miyako route there are some lines that a good process would have caught and I think while doing the translation for S you might want to check in and make sure that you're confident with editors/QC. Even the best editors and translators get tired/sloppy/etc, it's pretty human.

Specific lines at issue:

- Many issues with plural/non-plurals towards the beginning of the route. There's a series of exchanges where the word "equipments" is used over and over again (at least 7 times). It is not an actual word so it makes the translation look really childish.

- Specific line "They're saying whatever they want...!! These premium ears can hear their talks." That's something editors or QC should see immediately (the part at issue is "can hear their talks").

- Wrong Word  "Could you right a more feasible dream?" Right should be write. 

I think you guys are doing a lot of great work so spending a bit more time on polishing it would be good.

I guess my main question is sort of related to whether or not there are going to be changes to the editing/QC process.

While going through the Miyako route there are some lines that a good process would have caught and I think while doing the translation for S you might want to check in and make sure that you're confident with editors/QC. Even the best editors and translators get tired/sloppy/etc, it's pretty human.

Specific lines at issue:

- Many issues with plural/non-plurals towards the beginning of the route. There's a series of exchanges where the word "equipments" is used over and over again (at least 7 times). It is not an actual word so it makes the translation look really childish.

- Specific line "They're saying whatever they want...!! These premium ears can hear their talks." That's something editors or QC should see immediately (the part at issue is "can hear their talks").

- Wrong Word  "Could you right a more feasible dream?" Right should be write. 

I think you guys are doing a lot of great work so spending a bit more time on polishing it would be good.

As dowolf said, much of the route was done before we started, though I'm not sure as to an exact percentage. We only QC'd and edited the unfinished portions, and touched nothing else. If it occurred before the beach scene, it wasn't us.

As for the errors that slipped through after, yes, there are many. Most do not take away from the readability, and many have been fixed post-release as people have reported them. If you have specific examples, mail them to Ouraibaa, and he will pass them on to the rest of us to fix should they need fixing. Screenshots/full text of the lines is preferable, since it makes them easier to search.

As for the process itself, there is the TL(dowolf), the QC(ouraibaa), the tester(a secret), and me, who fixes misc problems the tester finds, as well as the spot fixes for the errors such as you mentioned. NhK and Crying also review the script. However, even with six people reading it, things are going to slip through, especially when you remember that several of us have read the whole route 4-5 times in the process of testing, so our minds begin to autocorrect things(there is a term for this, but hell if I can remember it). Kazama(the first route we edited) was read once by dowolf and ouraibaa, 5-6 times by the tester, twice by me, and then once each nhk, crying(I think?) and ouraibaa again. And still a few errors slipped through. Such is the nature of fan TLs.

Eventually, you just have to release it with the knowledge some things aren't 100% fixed, because nothing short of fresh eyes will spot them. This can be seen as either a failing or a blessing of fan TLs. A failing, since an imperfect product is released, but a blessing, since 1) it's free and 2) crowd-sourced error-spotting will spot more than a professional team, let alone a team collected from a fan-forum, could ever hope to pre-release.

Sorry for being long winded, but felt it was worth explaining.

:mellow: oh, I missed the poll voting session.... oh well, Agave it is  ^_^

Eventually, you just have to release it with the knowledge some things aren't 100% fixed, because nothing short of fresh eyes will spot them. This can be seen as either a failing or a blessing of fan TLs. A failing, since an imperfect product is released, but a blessing, since 1) it's free and 2) crowd-sourced error-spotting will spot more than a professional team, let alone a team collected from a fan-forum, could ever hope to pre-release.

"I think what is interesting in life is all the cracks and all the flaws and all the moments that are not perfect." - Clemence Poesy

As always, good job team~  ;)

Not trying to suggest you guys aren't working fast enough or anything like that, but I was wondering why the project page hasn't been updated yet?  My assumption was that the character polls were to determine which routes to translate next, so would it be safe to assume that Momoyo's route is finished being translated, or close to being finished?  That assumption could be wrong, but I was just curious if the UI was really proving to be a challenge, or if you guys were just waiting to have a big chunk finished before updating the page.  I see you guys posting on here so I know it's not an issue of you just not working on it or disappearing. 

Or maybe Kazuko's route was just way short?

Just because we don't post something, doesn't mean it isn't being done. As for the UI, the challenge was done long ago, now it's just working some images here and there.

I figured it was something along those lines.  Just wanted to satisfy my curiosity more than anything else.

hi, I was just wondering what routes are currently available because I don't know if the homepage has been updated recently and if there aren't any what would be a guess time for another route release if thats okay, thanks.

Thanks Dowulf, twdark, I think your explanation was really good. Also I finished reading the rest of Majikoi and other than a really rough patch in that route, everything else is great. You guys did an amazing job and we're really lucky to have you.

I'm going to find all the incorrect lines from that route, screenshot them, and provide recommended fixes for them.

Other than that, the only work I think you guys should consider is harmonizing "Kri" and "Crit". It's sort of jarring that her nickname is consistent in the prologue and 2.5 routes but then changes.

But you guys did an amazing job and after seeing the rest of your work, it's all very good. I'm happy to help out with Post-Production stuff if you need a volunteer, but I'm really confident Majikoi S is going to be great. You guys are awesome and its great to see that.

Thanks Dowulf, twdark, I think your explanation was really good. Also I finished reading the rest of Majikoi and other than a really rough patch in that route, everything else is great. You guys did an amazing job and we're really lucky to have you.

I'm going to find all the incorrect lines from that route, screenshot them, and provide recommended fixes for them.

Other than that, the only work I think you guys should consider is harmonizing "Kri" and "Crit". It's sort of jarring that her nickname is consistent in the prologue and 2.5 routes but then changes.

But you guys did an amazing job and after seeing the rest of your work, it's all very good. I'm happy to help out with Post-Production stuff if you need a volunteer, but I'm really confident Majikoi S is going to be great. You guys are awesome and its great to see that.