Majikoi S Translation Project Discussion

yeah, we are doing those, this is pretty much just a draft of what we've got so far for one of the scenes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEi_T4EZhNE

how is editing video clips compared to editing text?  Is it just pulling the video out, hard subbing it, and then inserting it back in, or is it more complicated than that?  There are a couple of games can think of that pretty heavily involve video clips (Rondo duo, etc.) so I guess I'm wondering how complicated it would be to translate those compared to a more "traditional" vn.  Does it depend on the game engine?

how is editing video clips compared to editing text? Is it just pulling the video out, hard subbing it, and then inserting it back in, or is it more complicated than that? There are a couple of games can think of that pretty heavily involve video clips (Rondo duo, etc.) so I guess I'm wondering how complicated it would be to translate those compared to a more "traditional" vn. Does it depend on the game engine?

Speaking of in game cutscenes,i cant seem to view any of them? Is there any way i can fix this?

We've got two QC'ers already, so i don't believe we'll need any help in that.

Well i do that, its just that the movies wont play, like i click on it, and it never loads, im a dumb

Hmm... It could be that you've got a corrupted file or something on your version of Majikoi S, I've never come that problem so i would know.

We've got two QC'ers already, so i don't believe we'll need any help in that.

Two and a half, since testing involves at least partially reading the game, which puts another pair of eyes to the lines before release.

@everlastingtacos: Back up your saves and stuff, then reinstall the game. That *should* fix the problem.

Two and a half, since testing involves at least partially reading the game, which puts another pair of eyes to the lines before release.

if you want to be technical, everyone who's apart of the group QC's it,

since we all tryout and find errors in the games patch before release to make sure we haven't fucked up on something...

@everlastingtacos: Back up your saves and stuff, then reinstall the game. That *should* fix the problem.

Good you added that save part, I forgot all about it...

First I going to apologize for the question that i'm about to ask... please forgive me for my ignorance but what is QC? Please... could someone explain that to me? 

Quality Checking, making sure that the product isn't buggy, finding problems like typos, etc.

So basicly the QCers get to read the VN before any one else and then laugh at the mistakes. They live the life.

That's not how QCing goes at all, really. The first few times through are unreadable in spots.

Is that just because the translators aren't paying attention and are going for speed or is that just a product of the VN format?

It's because of the gargantuan amount of text that the translator has to write. Errors are inevitable, diligent translator or not. 

I guess it's the kind of situation where typos don't matter as long as you can tell what's being said, you can just send someone to fix it later, maximize time spent by all parties.

I guess it's the kind of situation where typos don't matter as long as you can tell what's being said, you can just send someone to fix it later, maximize time spent by all parties.

99% of writers do the exact same thing. They write their book, then send it to quality checkers to make sure there are as absolutely few mistakes as possible before release.

I wasn't talking about the typos anyway. The game has a default font and text size. It also breaks likes automatically when they reach a certain number of characters. The problem is that it does not break on words, and will almost always break in the middle of a word. In addition, anything that goes over 3 lines worth of text in the default size runs off the screen and can't be read. Which means it can't be proofread. Those must be resized, and then the line breaks done, before the line becomes remotely readable.

fhKRR.jpg

See above. While resizing can (mostly) be done automatically, fixing the line breaks properly on them almost always needs to be done manually. The last game was QC'd straight off a script, which presents it's own challenges sure, but this time we're opting for going directly into the game. QCing will rely heavily on editors fixing lines to make them readable(imagine that line went to five, which is not only possible, I'm pretty sure I have an example somewhere in the massive list of errors we compiled and fixed).

And note, the person who did the testing compiled over 20 lists of errors through 3-4 readthroughs of EACH route, probably nearing close to 1k editing errors. And that doesn't even touch on missed typos and QC errors, and things he listed only once and we mass fixed in several hundred places(looking at you, stutter!).

Anyone who thinks QCing or testing is just an easy way to read the game before everyone else is, quite frankly, an idiot.