Edit summaries for non-mods

Basically, when you edit posts in some forums, you can specify a reason for why you did so and it'll pop up underneath your post all pretty afterward. This feature is actually enabled on this forum as well... for some. I know this for reasons.

f2RSvSn.png

Edited by Down
Zaka is a terrible person

A really good question!

A little off-topic (but not really,) is anyone else bored with the common words seen everyday, everywhere? The magic has gone out of expression :(. "Edited by Zakamutt, Today, 11:13AM" is just so boring a phrase, I'd much rather see something like "Zakamutt fiddled with his post inappropriately, Today, 11:13AM". ... Or maybe that's just me?

Edited by Nosebleed

Reason for it not being on by default?

Almost ALL of my edits are me fixing a spelling error or something else dumb like that. So almost all of my posts would have a weird yellow thing under them.

That sounds like it would be unsightly no? 'Course, I guess I could just disable it if it was enabled by default, so I guess that wouldn't be a problem. :P

Edited by Nosebleed

Almost ALL of my edits are me fixing a spelling error or something else dumb like that. So almost all of my posts would have a weird yellow thing under them.

That sounds like it would be unsightly no? 'Course, I guess I could just disable it if it was enabled by default, so I guess that wouldn't be a problem. :P

this!

Edited by Nosebleed

Because it's annoying and noisy as hell in terms of visuals.

Opt-in is a good way to go about it considering most edits are small things, and I'd hope people have the common sense to see when they should mark their post as edited.

Edited by Nosebleed

Nay, I don't think you understand what I mean (probably my fault). You can't use it unless you're a mod (it's always an option for peopel who can use it). Either that or the usergroup I'm in is messed up.

Edited by Down

Look, I don't mean being able to click "show that post was edited". Yes, we can already do that. I mean being able to write a reason for that edit in a box. See, the thing with *Zaka is a terrible person" there? I can't do that on forums I don't have delivious powers in, I can only click the box that makes it say that the post has been edited on date so-and-so. Capiche?

a74fdaafef.jpg

Notice the lack of the box I presented in spoiler #1 in the OP.

Edited by Down

Isn't that just because it's a moderation tool anyway? Regular users don't normally need to have a box specifying what they edited. If it's available in a forum you're not mod in it's an error.

Edited by Nosebleed

/me is weirded out by IPB not having this feature due to other forums he's been on having had it pretty trivially (presumably they were vbulletin or something)

Well okay, nothing to do then :kosame:

Edited by Down

IPB seems quite arbitrary at times when it comes to features and whether to include them or not. This one seems to have been shoehorned in at the end of some release cycle for admins and mods and then never extended to include normal members.

Edited by Nosebleed

Why would you want a feature to specify a reason to edit your own posts? Sounds pretty obsolete.

Well I wouldn't be opposed to it I guess, but it seems IPB doesn't want you to. 

Don't worry, I can write "Zaka is a terrible person" for you any time :P

Edited by Nosebleed

From the forums where that was enabled to everyone you could opt to give a reason or not, if you don't give a reason that thing won't show up. So those cases it wouldn't show up neither bother you at all.

kthxbai

Edited by Down

• 6 months later...

Basically, when you edit posts in some forums, you can specify a reason for why you did so and it'll pop up underneath your post all pretty afterward. This feature is actually enabled on this forum as well... for some. I know this for reasons.

Hidden Content

eyy i think u got your wish now :sachi: